• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - SOS Brigade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
One thing I'm curious about is how the new set compares compression wise to the Geneon set. I've noticed that Funimation has a penchant lately for releasing everything on a mere 4 discs. That's six episodes a disc here, plus extras, and that's never been to my liking based on the discs I've seen in the past (I still shudder at what Viz did to Key). I would assume they're dual layer, and if the old discs are single layer, then technically these come out on top. I don't know if they were though. It may sound silly, i know, but i just don't like extra compression just to save a disc or two (really drives me nuts on the 26 episode shows). Anyone know the bitrates going here? Gankutsuou strikes me as a show where every bit counts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

No, that would be a toss-up between the Count and Lelouch. The only cheering I did for Light was at the end: spoiler[when he died, begging for his miserable life in the dirt]. And don't think I'm not pissed that the anime changed that! Anyone who got past his murder of spoiler[Naomi] and still supported him has, as far as I'm concerned, a seriously messed up moral compass. He never showed any doubt, any guilt, or any compassion for anyone other than a few family members - all so that he could turn himself into a god. He was a heartless self-absorbed teenage sociopath. There is no cheering for Light. None. Nada. Zip.

/ends rant

Oh yeah, I totally agree. After he murdered spoiler[Naomi], I had no more sympathy for Light; yet, I still wanted him to succeed. I don't know why. Maybe because he was so damn ruthless, and it just felt right that that should be rewarded in the context of the story.

I'm strongly considering reading the manga, even moreso now that I know the ending to the anime diverged significantly. Maybe I can find one of those Viz boxes somewhere...

Anyway, maybe I should categorize the Count (plus Lelouch, I agree) differently from Light, now that I think about it. The former being evil with redeeming qualities, and the latter being just unadulterated evil.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:45 am Reply with quote
Once again, I will offer my apologies to Bamboo for the last review of Negima!.

I'm glad he reviewed the second, as it now dispels any issues between the two series for me.

Moreso, I've added Negima!? to my wish list. The help in understanding "fanservice" was a plus as well. I guess I just don't see it as others do.

The photos at the end were nice too. I have the same Faye Valentine statue. One of these days, I'll snap shots of my collection.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

Precisely how I felt. There ended up being a number of girls who I never even noticed were in the first series. Haruna, Ako, Lengshen, Chizuru, and the military girl who's name escapes me at the moment; never even noticed them in the first series, but they turned out to be quite enjoyable characters, especially Haruna Wink . And of course I have to once again clamour about how much cooler Setsune is in this version, she's my favorite Razz .

That's one of the things I really liked about the second version, a lot of the more obscure girls get more screentime--I especially liked seeing more of Yotsuba, and Sayo, my favorite gets introduced much earlier. And I loved the class rep's constant verbal abuse of Makie(another of my favorites) as a "failure"--since the same director did PANI PONI DASH, I wonder if he was trying to give Makie a more Mesousa-like character. The one thing I didn't like about the dub was I'm sure that the military geek girl's(I think it's Yuna) reference to Master Grade got changed to something else. Even though I think it got trashed the first time around, the first review of SOS still got me interested in it, and this more positive second review makes me want to see it even more. Is GENGHIS the first live-action film to get a shelf rating? I don't recall live-action films getting ratings before. Very nice shelf this week--is that some kind of 1/2 scale Naru figure in that huge box.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I'm glad he reviewed the second, as it now dispels any issues between the two series for me.

Psst... Bamboo is a she. Wink

I was initially turned off by Gankutsuou's visuals and hated Albert after only one episode, so it took a lot of convincing on the part of my fiancee to watch past the first couple episodes.

It was totally worth it. Wonderful show. Very well done and I'll echo everyone else's recommendations.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Anyway, maybe I should categorize the Count (plus Lelouch, I agree) differently from Light, now that I think about it. The former being evil with redeeming qualities, and the latter being just unadulterated evil.

Both the Count and Lelouch do stuff that reprehensible, but they manage to be sympathetic characters nonetheless; in the Count's case especially because of how horrible the chief antagonists are this series, plus (BIG spoilers)spoiler[the parasite that's gradually taking him over, a living embodiment of revenge].

Yeah, I repeat my recommendation of this series, as well as my request for a side-by-side comparison of the two releases.
Kurokageshi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed a couple questions about my 'lounge' on here so i figured i'd answer them. ^^

1) That naruto manga boxset is the 'shadow box' that viz released several months back. It contains volumes 1-27 in a wooden display case. As far as I know they all sold out and are hard to find now. I haven't opened it and don't plan to do so. I'm caught up on the manga anyways. ^^

2) The naru statue that you can see in one of the pics is a 3ft tall statue of which there were only 400 made. It's made out of vinyl.

Feel free to ask anything else if you're curious. ^^ Glad yall enjoy them, I put alot of time and money into them and am proud of how it turned out. Since those pics were taken though i've pretty much filled up that room and now need to think of something else..lol. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jdb728

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
Is GENGHIS the first live-action film to get a shelf rating? I don't recall live-action films getting ratings before. Very nice shelf this week--is that some kind of 1/2 scale Naru figure in that huge box.

I think the live action Death Note movies have gotten shelf ratings, I believe a few other live action Japanese movies(I think 'Azumi' was when it came out a few years ago) have also, but it doesn't seem to happen very often.

kurokageshi wrote:
2) The naru statue that you can see in one of the pics is a 3ft tall statue of which there were only 400 made. It's made out of vinyl.

I was wondering about that, but I was kinda scared of the reason an otaku might want a 3 ft. tall Naru in a bikini. Laughing No offense, I've just heard too many stories of people taking things a little too far with female anime characters, if you know what I mean.
Regardless, that's a great collection you have there. What makes it even more impressive is it looks like they're R1 legal copies, and here I was thinking my 250+ DVD collection was good. Cool

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your true otaku dedication. Cool

Add-On. Now you've got me wondering, how much were those Naru things, and what company was makiing and/or selling them.
I realize they're all sold out, it's just one of those things that grabs your mind and won't let go(you know?).

Thanks. Cool
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:

Precisely how I felt. There ended up being a number of girls who I never even noticed were in the first series. Haruna, Ako, Lengshen, Chizuru, and the military girl who's name escapes me at the moment; never even noticed them in the first series, but they turned out to be quite enjoyable characters, especially Haruna Wink . And of course I have to once again clamour about how much cooler Setsune is in this version, she's my favorite Razz .

That's one of the things I really liked about the second version, a lot of the more obscure girls get more screentime--I especially liked seeing more of Yotsuba, and Sayo, my favorite gets introduced much earlier. And I loved the class rep's constant verbal abuse of Makie(another of my favorites) as a "failure"--since the same director did PANI PONI DASH, I wonder if he was trying to give Makie a more Mesousa-like character. The one thing I didn't like about the dub was I'm sure that the military geek girl's(I think it's Yuna) reference to Master Grade got changed to something else. Even though I think it got trashed the first time around, the first review of SOS still got me interested in it, and this more positive second review makes me want to see it even more. Is GENGHIS the first live-action film to get a shelf rating? I don't recall live-action films getting ratings before. Very nice shelf this week--is that some kind of 1/2 scale Naru figure in that huge box.

Some jokes got taken out in the Negima!? dub, but they added in a ton. Like in ep 7 when Negi say: I can see dead people! (clearly a movie joke)
ep 13 has a Spider man saying. It is my burden and my gift. (Setsuna says it)
The cat says lines from Hell Girl in one ep (as a joke leading back to her voice actor in the dub)
Motsu does lines from Shin Chan (I don't know why Funi just likes doing that)

The South Park mini clip in ep 20 was re-done from the Japanese fail of a joke. To a much better done line, with the whole you killed Sayo bit.

Over all, I didn't mind losing like two jokes from the sub to dub. The db adds a lot more jokes in which just makes it fun to watch
Kurokageshi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
@ jdb728: No offense taken..lol. People ask me that all the time. Anime hyper As annoying as it is, there's no avoiding that question...lol. It's nothing more than a statue. The only reason i bought it was because i was big into the 'love hina' anime at the time and it was an extremely limited item. it set me back $400.

And yes, all the dvds in there are legit R1 releases. ^^b
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
kurokageshi wrote:
@ jdb728: No offense taken..lol. People ask me that all the time. Anime hyper As annoying as it is, there's no avoiding that question...lol. It's nothing more than a statue. The only reason i bought it was because i was big into the 'love hina' anime at the time and it was an extremely limited item. it set me back $400.

And yes, all the dvds in there are legit R1 releases. ^^b
Got any pictures of your statue? All I saw in the article was the box.
Kurokageshi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
I used to have her on display till her legs bent to the point that she couldn't stand anymore and fell over and broke. So she had to go back in the box. :/

PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Psst... Bamboo is a she. Wink

I just found this out yesterday.

Another apology is in order.
Wink

I was a bit unsure that "Bamboo Dong" was a legitimate name after having discovered the amount of hentai reviewed. Think about that a second.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm looking at getting Negima!? in the future since I'm currently watching Negima! and for the most part like it, with the exception of some of the dub changes which I am not even going to get into. Just looking at some of the pics for Negima!? I can tell I'm not going to be crazy for the character designs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I'm looking at getting Negima!? in the future since I'm currently watching Negima! and for the most part like it, with the exception of some of the dub changes which I am not even going to get into. Just looking at some of the pics for Negima!? I can tell I'm not going to be crazy for the character designs.

Well some of them are not to bad, the hair colors where changed almost to the manga. I say almost as like three or four people did get the right color just not the right shade.

If you want to check out Negima!? try the OVAs Spring and Summer first. They where made as test runs before Negima!?'s 26 ep series was made
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4