• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Spring Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
As I'm new to Manga, I'm looking for anything the catches my interest and I saw this Manga which is Blue Spring from the creator of Tekkonkinkreet. Question : Is it similar to Tekkonkinkreet, written as well and I'm pretty sure the art style is the same but I was wondering if it is a worthy Manga to buy for a beginner, or for anyone?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:
Is it similar to Tekkonkinkreet[?]

Not really, no. It's a collection of short stories about dejected delinquents in the days leading up to their graduation from high school.

Quote:
written as well[?]

No. But, then, very few comics are as well written as Tekkon Kinkreet.

Quote:
and I'm pretty sure the art style is the same

Similar but a bit rougher (it's an earlier work).

Quote:
but I was wondering if it is a worthy Manga to buy for a beginner, or for anyone?

I think it's a pretty good book but it's not nearly as good as Tekkon Kinkreet so, if you don't already have it, I'd recommend you pick that up first.

As for whether or not it's a good choice for you, that's hard to say without knowing anything about your tastes. If you're looking for an archetypal look and generic storylines, you won't find them in Taiyo Matsumoto's work but if you're looking for something that's somewhat experimental and a bit more off the beaten path then, yeah, give it a go.
Highway Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Blue Spring is the least accessible of Taiyo Matsumoto's works. Its a collection of short stories revolving around several highschool students. The stories range from a simple discussion of baseball, a dangerous game played on the top of a school building, and a crazy street chase.
While the artwork is similar (save for the first chapter, which was drawn years before the rest of the stories were created), thematically its quite different from Tekkonkinkreet. There's still the same level of ultra-violence, appearance of Yakuza and near nilhistic tone though.
The main problem with Taiyo Matsumoto is, unless you want to read scanlations, the only English-language works of his available are;

- Tekkonkinkreet
- Blue Spring
- No. 5 , a psychedelic sci-fi 8-volume series drawn in a more realistic manner than TK. Only two volumes have been released as Viz discontinued the seres, and volume one is near impossible to locate for a price below $100.
- Kankichi, a short historic tale from the anthology Japan: As Viewed By 17 Creators. Drawn in a very traditional paintbrush Japanese style, not really recommended unless you're a diehard Taiyo fan.
- Gogo Monster, a forthcoming release later this year from Viz about a boy and his imagination.

As you can see, the selection is fairly limited. If you're okay with scanlations though, the entirity of the three volume slice-of-life Hanaotoko, and the five volume epic and moving sports drama Ping Pong are available to download. Both of these series come highly recommended instead of Blue Spring. Anyone here whose read those will tell you the same thing, trust me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the reply's, now reading them I probably won't buy Blue Spring not because you guys are saying it's alright, it's just because it's not as good as Tekkon Kinkreet so I'd rather something else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1