• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Central Park Media Files for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I hope someone picks up patlabor and releases some bricks of it.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
In the back of my mind I was wondering if this would officially happen, because I wouldn't really know how they would recover or get back on the horse after such a long hibernation. I managed to get most of what I think are their great titles, such as Utena (I managed to wait until there was a sweet $100 deal for the whole series, from here on ANN if I remember right), Now and Then Here and There (for a high price from an Amazon merchant, but after watching it on Sci-Fi I decided it was worth it), Patlabor, Animation Runner Kuromi, The World of Narue, and Alien Nine (the manga more than the anime). They are just so good and I'm glad to have them as part of my library; it would be a shame if they were never rescued and were just lost to oblivion, giving me the sense I'd be one of the few privileged with knowing and remembering these series. The only other titles I'm getting/considering are Night on the Galactic Railroad, Cat Soup, Venus Wars, and probably RG Veda. I did a search for them on Froogle and found some good prices--but I'm not entirely sure if they're truly the CPM discs and not 'imports'.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
And I was just saying yesterday while talking about one of their manga titles, when are they gonna announce their shutdown. What are they doing! Today we now know.

Shame I wont get a full Utena box set someday.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Competition is definately getting more loose. As mentioned, down to the 3 major one (Funi, Viz, and Bandai) and a couple small ones around (not to mentioned Disney with their Miyazaki flicks, maybe they will even pick up Graveyard, but then again it IS Disney :/)

Now, time for the big guys to pick up the other lost series, except Slayers which has been nabbed long before.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame about CPM. I guess that means I will need to hurry up and get the rest of the Patlabor DVD's I need for my collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IzanaginoOkami

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
damn this sucks utena was already expensive to buy now it's going to go up i at least got all of black jack and armored trooper votoms
gynocrat_rex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
So much for Be Beautiful. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
First Geneon, now CPM? What the hell?

Looks like I no longer have to ask whether CPM's dead or hibernating. They haven't released a new title in ages.

What's going to happen to the CPM stuff that's aired on Sci-Fi now? Please let there be some license rescues! (Especially Utena and MD Geist)

Now it's going to be even harder to find ANY of their anime ANYWHERE--I got most of their anime off of eBay. (I may not have supported them directly, but the people selling the DVDs still had to buy them.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. CPM. Crying or Very sad But bankruptcies give these companies an opportunity to start over sometimes. So I'm hoping they'll still be back in some form one day. Justin needs to write a tribute article.

jsevakis:
Quote:
CPM's decline had nothing to do with the economy

Well, not directly. But I imagine that the start of the death knell of the housing boom began with brick-and-mortar stores like the ones which dealt with CPM, since lost sales from the Internet probably contributed to the devaluation of places like Tower and Suncoast. And that, in turn, is why companies like CPM were getting less direct revenue. It's true that the economy didn't really turn to crap until years later, but if investors pull out of retail and housing's the only thing left, and it's peaking, well, something's got to give.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
This really sucks (for the anime industry), but I can't say I'm all that surprised by it. The economy stinks right now and they didn't have any good titles to rake in funds.

I'm personally rather apathetic towards them as they only had one or two titles worth purchasing, which I already have luckily.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty, I'm not surprised that this has happened. Without a major title to keep them going in this day and age, CPM wouldn't stand a chance in the anime industry. Slayers had already gone to FUNimation and Utena is already past its prime.

However, it didn't mean that I never bought any of CPM's titles. I still have my copy of Garzey's Wing and Legend of Lemnear and enjoyed them both back when I was still an avid anime collector. Hell, I still throw the old shows back on every now and then for some quality entertainment and a cheap laugh at the bad dubs.

But another thing also needs to be said: CPM did help pave the way for anime in the U.S. and I can respect them for that.
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Granted I don't own a whole lot of CPM titles - Agent Aika, World of Naure, and the two Animation Runner Kuromi films are the only CPM titles I have in my collection - I'm still very sad to see them go out of business. Best of luck to the former CPM employees in their future endeavors.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Not very surprising news really. With no new titles coming out and their old titles HTF and often only findable on the secondary market, it was kind of inevitable. Hopefully some company will pick up some of their old licenses and do some cheap box set releases.

Yah, I agree. I managed to get Now and Then, Here and There, but there are quite a few CPM titles that I don't have but am interested in, and unfortunately I can't currently afford buy them now. If no one picks up the CPM licenses, it will just keep on getting harder and harder to find em.
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm surprised, but at the same time I'm sad to see the final nail in the coffin of this publisher. They were one of the pioneering licensors of anime in the US, and even discounting all of the older titles we'll never see new printings of, we're also left in the dark about stuff that they were going to release.

I noticed the BeBeautiful website was officially gone earlier this week. They sort of signed their own death on that one, though, and it was only a matter of time before it was official.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
gah I was hoping for Utena and Slayers remastered at some point. In addition, this makes the Munto OVAs officially out of print Sad

There goes another one of my favorite companies. All that remains is Media Blasters, and to some extent Right Stuf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10