• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - SH Figuarts Akiba Red and Deka Red

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
You can never go overboard with the pictures. Smile
YasMan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
Great review, glad to see another toku fan out there! How do you even by this stuff anyway - is there a website?
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
There are many sites to get Toku stuff, but some are harder to get from than others. I believe in the column he says he got his from AmiAmi, but I know other popular stores to get from are Hobby Search, and CStoys. I've also had good luck with Plamoya, and I have a friend who really likes AniSatsu. HobbyLink Japan is hit or miss. I personally have a problem with their customer service and the way they do things, but others really like them. If you can find something in stock and on sale, it's not too bad.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if there'll be an American version of "Akibaranger" but there is one thing I do know. I remember the other series that was talked about here but in the U.S.,it was known as "Power Rangers S.P.D." I'd love to see the Japanese parody the American attempts to do tokusatsu. I also remember reading in a book about a tokusatsu series that was done in English with Japanese subtitles. Does anybody know the name of that series?
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I will throw in the stores I personally use. Amiami has the best prices for things by a few bucks, but if the item is at all popular you'll have to pre-order well in advance of its release. I have used HLJ for years and gotten nothing but good service, but I'm starting to hear stuff about their customer service in the last couple years. (If anyone has had such an experience, I'd like to hear). Now I use them when there's something I can't get from Amiami. Finally, for items that get US distribution (Bandai stuff from Bluefin, Good Smile stuff from AAA) I use Big Bad Toy Store, which has the best prices on US toys and packs your orders like they're covered in precious jewels.

Unless I really, really have to use someplace else, these are my usual choices.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I don't know if there'll be an American version of "Akibaranger" but there is one thing I do know. I remember the other series that was talked about here but in the U.S.,it was known as "Power Rangers S.P.D." I'd love to see the Japanese parody the American attempts to do tokusatsu. I also remember reading in a book about a tokusatsu series that was done in English with Japanese subtitles. Does anybody know the name of that series?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhC_Zbzv2A

Power Rangers SPD has been dubbed into Japanese by Toei, using the original Dekaranger cast. They have done this with more than one US-version show.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, Japan's re-dubbed most of the Power Rangers series (I've seen magazine scans of a number of them), as well as at least Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight (saw the Japanese dub of that one myself), if not the original US Masked Rider.

In fact, if you check the Encyclopedia pages for the Sentai actors, you'll see that many of them re-dub their own Sentai characters' counterparts.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I choose "fluttering magnificently on the wind of justice" and I do imagine an explosion behind him. ::sage nod::

This column always makes me grin Very Happy and a big part of that is the pictures along with the commentary. Bring on the pictures!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1