• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Voice actors that suffer from type-casting?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Trina Nishimura is almost always voicing a hyperactive idiot or a psychotic bloodthirsty nutjob. It's a nice treat hearing her voice Kurisu Makise in Steins'Gate.

What about Akira Takano from School Rumble, the soft-spoken, witty, sarcastic girl?

"Wait, don't tell me. You took off your clothes and went to find your swimming trunks. You looked all over, couldn't find them, and then Eri walked in. You tried to explain yourself, she got scared and your infinite wisdom led us to where we are now. Don't worry Harima. I don't think you are a pervert, but you are a total screw-up."
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
getchman wrote:
Trina Nishimura is almost always voicing a hyperactive idiot or a psychotic bloodthirsty nutjob. It's a nice treat hearing her voice Kurisu Makise in Steins'Gate.

What about Akira Takano from School Rumble, the soft-spoken, witty, sarcastic girl?

"Wait, don't tell me. You took off your clothes and went to find your swimming trunks. You looked all over, couldn't find them, and then Eri walked in. You tried to explain yourself, she got scared and your infinite wisdom led us to where we are now. Don't worry Harima. I don't think you are a pervert, but you are a total screw-up."

never got past ep 3 of school rumble, and i did say almost
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'd just like to point out that Todd hasn't gotten a lead role since Rosario + Vampire, and that was released in December of 2011 (and was delayed several times). There have since been 11 new dubs from Funimation that haven't featured him as a lead. His next two lead roles are in Aria and C, and then that's it for this year unless something comes out in December with him (I'm doubtful) . There are total of 18 new Funimation dubs so far that we know of for this year, and Todd will have gotten leads in only two of them. I am, of course, excluding Fairy Tail and Hetalia since those are recurring roles from releases that started last year - those don't really count as new roles.

That statement held much more weight a few years ago, but now you're just parroting old statements because you don't feel like updating your complaints list. Does Chris Patton and Luci Christian as every male and female lead bother you, too?

or better yet, Monica Rial. She is the most prolific North American anime voice actor, having passed Wendee Lee months ago
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
In Funimation, there's Stephanie Young. She's a great actress, it's just her voice that limits her to certain roles. It's a great voice, don't get me wrong but in Fullmetal Alchemist, for example, I don't think Olivier was meant to sound that "smoldering sexy". I'd like to hear her in more comedies.

For Sentai, there's Shelly Calene-Black who basically has the same problem/position, though she does "silly" a bit better or at least more often than Young so she has a few more options.

Anbd then there's Hillary Haag. Bratty girl? Snide snark from Sentai? She's it.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Yuri Lowenthal: You look like a teenager, and you act like one too~

Examples:
Bleach - Keigo, teen Byakuya, Renji (as a young adult)
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (R2) - Suzaku
Durarara!! - Shinra (who isn't a teenager, but still acts, and looks, like one)
Eyeshield 21 - Sena
Gurren Lagann - Simon
Marchen Awakens Romance - Alviss
Naruto (Shippuden) - Sasuke
Rave Master - Haru
(And though this is a pseudo-anime example...)
Ben 10: Alien Force (Ultimate Alien) (Omniverse): Ben Tennyson
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for Norio Wakamoto. Every role he's cast in, he voices someone awesome. It must be hard being the greatest of all time Razz

Really though, I can't really think of any voice actor that really suffer from type casting. When I think of someone suffering from it, I think of people who won't get offered any roles other than what they're known for, and I can't really think of anyone who fits that bill. Even Rie Kugimiya, who is certainly well known for her tsunderes and children, gets roles beyond the scope of that.

Maybe it's more prominent in english dubs. I don't know, I don't watch them. Just observing that a lot of the examples listed so far are for dub actors.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
Megumi Ogata is typically preety boys and handsome girls.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I feel bad for Norio Wakamoto. Every role he's cast in, he voices someone awesome. It must be hard being the greatest of all time Razz

Nobody hires Norio Wakamoto to voice a character; characters are designed/adapted so they can be voiced by Norio Wakamoto! Laughing He's the seiyuu equivalent of John Wayne: while being type-cast can kill a career if that "type" isn't in demand, it's hardly a problem when roles are being tailor-made for you.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
I've heard Christopher Sabat complain about being typecast as the tough guy mentor on, I believe, two different cast commentaries. If I remember correctly he mentioned that he auditioned for Fruits Basket wanting Hatori but ended up with Ayame (talk about breaking that typecasting!) - and being uncomfortable with him because he was worried about offending people who really are like Aya in real life.

He said that he was really happy with and grateful for being cast as Kasanoda in Ouran because he was different from the kind of characters he's usually offered, and I think it shows in his performance.

If an actor likes playing certain types of characters and gets those roles, there's no problem. However, I suspect that most people in the career want to play all different sorts of roles. If they don't get that creative opportunity, that's when I'd imagine they might start being torn between resentment and guilt at feeling ungrateful when 95% of people in their field aren't working at all at any given time - and only 5% of that 5% who are working are making what most people would consider a good living.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
I really don't think anyone would ever turn down a certain role if they are offered the position but I would agree that playing the same type of character would get tiring and stifle creative growth but that is up to the actor to decide if they want more diversity in their roles or be fine the way they are.

Besides, as for any voice actors that I think is typecast in certain roles that I can't help but notice would have to be Stephanie Sheh for voicing soft spoken shy girly types and I haven't heard of any roles she played where she doesn't act like Orihime, Mikuru, or Eureka.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
A perfect north American example is Greg Ayres. He has some other roles but if it's a Funimation title, and it has a younger boy/man in it as a main character, you can bet more often then not Greg is there. I think his role in Beck was a good example of how he can do more then that type cast role personally.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
A perfect north American example is Greg Ayres. He has some other roles but if it's a Funimation title, and it has a younger boy/man in it as a main character, you can bet more often then not Greg is there. I think his role in Beck was a good example of how he can do more then that type cast role personally.

I saw him at a con a few months back and he said his favourite role was Beck, partly for that reason.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

Besides, as for any voice actors that I think is typecast in certain roles that I can't help but notice would have to be Stephanie Sheh for voicing soft spoken shy girly types and I haven't heard of any roles she played where she doesn't act like Orihime, Mikuru, or Eureka.

Mamimi from FLCL isn't like them. But her big change, I'd say is Guu from Hare+Guu.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:

Mamimi from FLCL isn't like them. But her big change, I'd say is Guu from Hare+Guu.

And then there's Barkhorn from Strike Witches. Neither soft spoken or shy, that one. And then there's Girls Bravo; Obviously someone mixed her role up with Michelle Ruff's soft spoken shy lead. If you're not familiar with that one, here's one of her lines:
"I'm like catnip for lesbians!"

Sure, it's taken out of context...
Wait, no it isn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2