• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Late Night with Helen McCarthy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I didn't follow the bit at the end about Trish Ledoux -- that part of the chat seemed based on common knowledge between Zac, Justin, and Helen -- but I'll always be grateful for Trish's work in the late 80's and early 90's on Animag and "The Complete Anime Guide", which is what got me back into anime after that first big 80's Robotech / Star Blazers / Akira wave washed out.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow! this was one of the best ANNCast's I have heard in along time! Really very, very interesting! I think I may have to listen to it again.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That Totoro story about the little girl...just wow. I'm floored. This was a wonderful interview. If she's half this entertaining in her writing, I'll have to find some more of it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
OK then... guess I'm watching Arrietty again.

Madame McCarthy was a delight. I could listen to her all day.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
Man, Ms. McCarthy's optimism in some things is like the total antithesis against either of the hosts and, I'd imagine, some of the listening audience as well. I can't recall an ANNCast episode that had that. Not to mention it's pretty uplifting with that whole "we are ALL creative people" bit. This is first time I've actually favorited this episode in my Twitter feed because of that.

And MAN, is anyone going to start "second-guessing" on Hayao Miyazaki's works and the hidden subtext with his strong female protagonists? It also looks like Arriety warrants a rewatch as well.
ChibiRob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
My wife and I enjoyed Earthsea and think it fits well in the collection. She has read the novels and was pointing things out to me afterwards and I will end up reading them as well now. We both look forward his next offerings.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah I found the whole "we are ALL creative people" speech a bit schmaltzy but I guess it is nice to see a person with positive shining with optimism.
Really haven't watched Arriety and to be honest didn't want to.But if it is like Helen said it was then I will definitely check it out.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote
Really great podcast. I learnt a lot Smile Her energy throughout the show was refreshing.

Edit: On the subject of aliases, I started using the the internet regularly when I was about 10. And when you're a kid (especially if you're a girl) there is one thing that is drummed into you time and time again by teachers and parents: don't ever reveal personal details online. I'm 18 now and still find myself thinking up new aliases out of habit when I join up to things (though I use my real name on facebook and twitter).

I never even thought that other people might interpret that as me being ashamed of my own opinions though, though that's definitely something I'll keep in mind in the future when signing up to things.

-Georgina
Dorian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the interview it was very informative. If you can set up another interview with Ms. McCarthy you might consider a ‘Chicks on Anime’ ANNCast.
I would also like to reiterate Ms. McCarthy’s recommendation to read Diana Wynne Jones she is one of my favorite authors.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
One of the best episodes of ANNCAST yet! It's up there with the Geneon one. Defiantly going to have to re-watch Arrietty, especially Totoro. Can't wait for another show with Madame McCarthy! Very Happy
Dynamic A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I've been listening to ANNcast pretty regularly since 2009, and I have to say that this was one of the all-time best episodes I've heard. Helen McCarthy was an absolute joy to listen to - warm, engaging, enthusiastic, and more to the point academically and thought-provokingly stimulating in her ideas and opinions. She was well worth the late-night effort and I look forward to Zac and Justin having her on again!

-DA
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I think the great McCarthy was FAR too dismissive of Redline. Yes, it isn't the most complex story, but is it not impossible to appreciate the visual tour de force it is? Plus, it has an amazing OST and one of the most beautiful trailers I have ever seen--the juxtaposition of the beautiful Redline Day along with the intense action scenes f the flim is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

However, McCarthy is a fascinating guest. Her opinions are so complex, yet so thought-provoking. Her talk about themes spoke to me as a writer, personally; it made me realize that I simply don't try to do complex themes in my own writing--something I wish to rectify from now on.
Macron One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I think the great McCarthy was FAR too dismissive of Redline. Yes, it isn't the most complex story, but is it not impossible to appreciate the visual tour de force it is? Plus, it has an amazing OST and one of the most beautiful trailers I have ever seen--the juxtaposition of the beautiful Redline Day along with the intense action scenes f the flim is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

The impression i got was that she was specifically dismissing the idea of Redline being a revolutionary production with great influence on the medium, which she's certainly correct in saying. The film has excellent technical merits such as great animation and soundtrack, as well as wildly creative character designs, but plotwise there really isn't anything particularly new or exciting going on. Rather than being an influence on the medium as it exists today, Redline is in fact much more of a throwback to high-budget sci-fi/action productions from the 80's boom economy period.
In Japan, the film bombed pretty badly both in theatres and on home video, and while it gained more of a following in the U.S., most of Redline's fanbase does appear to consist of old school fans who were happy to finally have something to put on their shelf next to Akira, Neo Tokyo and Megazone 23.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
Yep, we ARE ALL creative. Like art, it's a matter of framing. Unlike art it does not have to be so lofty/historic/salable/competitive/academic etc(and all the barriers that people create(ironically) for themselves). From picking out your clothes to organizing your desk to laying out the furniture, it's all good. Satisfaction is up to you. Approval from others is optional. There's always going to be some a-hole that just wants to see you squirm(or waves around a large book titled "THE RULES"). Take it with a grain of salt. Alone or in a group, have fun. Ha.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
DanQew wrote:
france Grendizer: goldorak
i heard the jp fans liked how the french renamed the enemies, them being the definite product issued from stolen prototype (goldorak): golgoth + number.
in japanese they were named like berebere or tagitagi or girigiri + number.
spain mazinger: (forgot)

He was still called Mazinger Z.

The way Helen pronounced the name, I thought she was referring to Grendizer's Italian name "Goldrake". Still that part of Europe between Spain, France and Italy certainly saw a big share of anime 30 years ago while the Brits were stuck with Battle of the Planets.

Macron One wrote:
The impression i got was that she was specifically dismissing the idea of Redline being a revolutionary production with great influence on the medium, which she's certainly correct in saying. The film has excellent technical merits such as great animation and soundtrack, as well as wildly creative character designs, but plotwise there really isn't anything particularly new or exciting going on. Rather than being an influence on the medium as it exists today, Redline is in fact much more of a throwback to high-budget sci-fi/action productions from the 80's boom economy period.
In Japan, the film bombed pretty badly both in theatres and on home video, and while it gained more of a following in the U.S., most of Redline's fanbase does appear to consist of old school fans who were happy to finally have something to put on their shelf next to Akira, Neo Tokyo and Megazone 23.

That's very true. It certainly didn't do anything 'new' and merely gave the older fans something they hadn't appreciated in so long.

I'm glad Helen saw something in Arrietty she loved about the film. It's certainly something I hadn't thought about myself, but it's surely a subversiveness we simply don't think about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3