• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clannad Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRLN

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
How are Fuuko and Tomoyo moe, that's my question.

I like Clannad, mostly because it's funny. All this "moe" jargon totally doesn't affect me, and Nagisa and Kotomi are the only ones who I can really see as moe characters.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying Clannad thus far, it seems to have an even better balance of drama and humor than the other Key adaptations - and from what I've heard of After Story, I really can't wait for that! Smile
kallisti

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
The lack of a dub is not a minus, it's a PLUS since dubbing are unneccesary raises of production costs.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Big fat freaking moe debates suck. Nobody likes them.

I'm about to finish the last set of this show right now and I really enjoy it. I'm really not a fan of the character designs, but the show itself is so funny and touching that it's easy to ignore. The animation is also really, really pretty (I probably would have rated it higher; the attention to movement in the show is just gorgeous at times.) I really hope that someone licenses After Story soon.

And that KyoAni will come to their senses and make that Sunohara OVA... or at least his own spinoff show where he encounters tons of adorable sad girls and acts like a complete retarded jerk to them and gets pummeled in return. Good end!
senbei

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh Dom is here, head for the hills!

Seems he brought his love for online arguments here as well.
Rolling Eyes
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
kallisti wrote:
The lack of a dub is not a minus, it's a PLUS since dubbing are unneccesary raises of production costs.

I would say this too - BUT I have a friend whose mother is dyslexic and thus can't read subtitles fast enough, so when they watch anime together she needs a dub. Which is why I'm technically a dubfectionist: I don't watch dubs because I think the vast majority of them are just dreadful (and have no problem reading subtitles), but I'm not 100% opposed to dubs if they're done well.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
MRLN wrote:
How are Fuuko and Tomoyo moe, that's my question.

How is Fuuko not moe? She's an adorable little sister character. I'll agree that characters like Kyou and Tomoyo don't normally spring to mind when someone talks about moe characters, though.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lack of an English dub

If this seriously affected the overall review score/review, that's just wrong. Some things don't deserved to be butchered with a dub and considering how many US voice actors can't do moe stuff, I think this is fine the way it is *remembers the nightmare of AIR and Kanon 2006*

The only bad thing is if the companies are still charging the same price for stuff with dub especially since most of the money actually goes there when they sell these things outside Japan.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

How is Fuuko not moe?

That was my take as well, and probably one of the better done representations of the type in my view. After her arc is done, Fuko's appearances are comedy gold.

Of the five girls in this series, Fuko (due to obvious reasons covered in this review) and Kotomi seemed most unlike anyone you would run across in normal life. Nagisa, Kyou, and Tomoyo seemed pretty normal with normal issues and agendas. Episode 18 was one of favorites from the series, when it all becomes clear.
This is not to say that Fuko and Kotomi's arcs are bad, they are really good, but out of the ordinary.

I loved Air and Kanon, but I think I enjoyed watching Clannad the most. I hope ADV makes enough on this to think about dubbing it someday. I loved the sub track, but that does not mean I would not love to hear a dub take on it.

The errors in the subtitles were a little depressing, how can that kind of thing make it through to disc pressing?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
B, C+? What the f*ck? How is this a good review? Also, Clannad isn't the moe-est show in the world (compare: Lucky Star, K-ON), so it should stop being portrayed as such. Also, the lack of a dub is undoubtedly a good thing, as an English dub would destroy the series beyond repair.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Quote:
Lack of an English dub

If this seriously affected the overall review score/review, that's just wrong. Some things don't deserved to be butchered with a dub and considering how many US voice actors can't do moe stuff, I think this is fine the way it is *remembers the nightmare of AIR and Kanon 2006*

The only bad thing is if the companies are still charging the same price for stuff with dub especially since most of the money actually goes there when they sell these things outside Japan.

The AIR and Kanon dubs were both very good I thought. So thank you very much but I do believe that it should count as a negative just as Theron put in his review. And I'm supporting Funimation despite the fact I already bought Kanon and Air by buying them again. I very much dislike ADV/Sentai for making this very wrong choice for a show that definitely deserved a dub as much as the prior shows.
TheGoddesswatcher

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
123457474869 wrote:
B, C+? What the f*ck? How is this a good review? Also, Clannad isn't the moe-est show in the world (compare: Lucky Star, K-ON), so it should stop being portrayed as such. Also, the lack of a dub is undoubtedly a good thing, as an English dub would destroy the series beyond repair.

I say its passable so its a good review. Were you expecting all "A's" for the score it got? I wasn't so be glad it got a descent review.

Also what is with people and there Moe interests in here. They all think that this show and a few others are the greatest in the world. When there favorite Moe show or for example "K-On" is made fun of on here or a bad rating from ANN they go postal on here and they go into debate mode trying to prove that supposed show is not Moe and should not be treated as such. Well let me tell ya all there efforts are in vain. Its just a show and ANN is doing there job on the reviews of such shows. They are not biased one way or another. Another such anime forum is the same way when it comes to shows with Moe in them. When you call it Moe they all get defensive and call you crap just because you didn't see the show there way.
As I said its just a show and I wish that people would just let this "everybody calls this show Moe and its not" debate end. To me its just another cute girl show that someone would like and thats about it. The label Moe is what it is and thats what it will be called.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
TheGoddesswatcher wrote:
123457474869 wrote:

As I said its just a show and I wish that people would just let this "everybody calls this show Moe and its not" debate end. To me its just another cute girl show that someone would like and thats about it. The label Moe is what it is and thats what it will be called.

The problem isn't that people are calling the show moe when it is not (It obviously is). The problem lies in the fact that they are using the term moe as more of a genre description rather than as a character description. Not to mention ANN has used the term moe as a more offensive and demeaning description of a series in the past, so the negative connotation is there. Some people don't like that and feel they are putting a biased negative light on such series. It's kind of like when you go to a review site and the author of the review makes a very bad review and a series when the series's genre is one they don't like in the first place. It's one of those "If you don't like that genre, why bother reviewing anything from it" sort of thing.

Most of us are happy with the review for Clannad, as they seem far less biased than the ones for it's ilk.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:
Where were you when I was mauled in the After Story thread for having this same opinion? I could have used some support there
But, I liked the first Clannad series enough to just stick with that one and forget about After Story. I even liked it enough to forgive the absence of a dub. But in the end, I'd have to say that Kanon was my favorite of the Key series'.

Sorry about that man, but I usually just stick to reading the news and articles and rarely venture into the forums. But if it makes you feel any better, I would have had your back 100%. "After Story" actively pissed me off to the point that unlike you I could not invest in any of the franchise.
Again, I recommend "Clannad" to any non-completists, but for "After Story" I say preview the series before you spend your money on it (if it comes to R1). It is a different animal from "Clannad."

It's people like you that make me role my eyes. Rolling Eyes Another person who didn't understand or pay attention to the show.

Coming from a game player the ending was needed and perhaps the anime did not convey it as well as it could have been. But save your bitching.

I'm just a little 0_o as to why the animation and music score is not higher,the music score is amazing. Which is why KEY is always praised on their scores.
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care to get into this ridiculous debate of if Clannad is 'moe' or not. The one thing I will say though, is that this show isn't about the girls, moe or otherwise. It's entirely about Tomoya, and the different things he encounters to show himself how important a family is. The important thing to remember about Clannad, is that it's a package meant to be taken in as a whole. Sure, you can stop watching after 'Clannad', and you'll have a decent show, but only when you watch it in conjunction with After Story, and take in everything as a single piece does it really shine as an anime.

I would recommend people drop the moe debate before this thread ends up getting locked down, like every other thread Clannad seems to surface in...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5