• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: High School DxD TV Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Astara_ wrote:
haven't watched the whole uncensored version, but Even the dialog in both spoken(if they translated it) and subtitles often is completely different from what was said in the japanese...where you will here swearing (the 7 naughty words you aren't allowed to say on broadcast)...etc... I've yet to buy a funmation where that
stuff hasn't been "cleaned up"...

There is zero profanity in the traditional Japanese language. If anything, the dubs that FUNimation produces raises the level of profanity than what was originally there, and the subs typically stay closer to what was actually said..

And yes, there have been plenty of shows where FUNimation has released them with nipples and all. Just look at Freezing if you want an example. FUNimation's mantra of 'Boobies for the win' is there for a reason.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't see releasing Freezing and not this. That show is more cruel.

I think this would sell well if they have been selling the other fanservice series well. I probably would put this about even with the other series of it's kind. It's pushes it a lot more directly than most shows. Dakara boku wa is basically the same there. I'm expecting from the OVA that To Love Ru Darkness will be about the same, although it's more attractive art-wise than this show IMO.
Astara_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Yeah, I can't see releasing Freezing and not this. That show is more cruel.

You forget -- violence in the US has never gotten the brunt of censorship. It's been legal things, like sex, and things that offend Christian sensibilities that have gotten the most flack. This does both. Freezing... was more about fighting... I really didn't think it was anywhere near as good, but then I am partial to stories that show mythologies other than those that have been Christian influenced or rewritten....(and I mean the onward christian soldiers...going to war type influence -- to conquer anyone who believes differently)...

You skipped over the 1080p part in your response, was that oversite, or will they down-rez it ?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Very, very, very, very few (I can't think of one) TV anime are animated at 1080p. The majority of HD series are animated at somewhere between 1024x576 and 1280x720. So FUNimation typically offers the same quality as Japan
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
they released Dance in the Vampire Bund uncensored, and that has a 10-12 year old vampire girl naked. no one complained about that. Funimation will release everything completely uncensored.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
You have a mix, typically, in digital anime now. Backgrounds may be 1080p while characters and objects are done at the lower resolutions. As Japan becomes increasingly competent at digital animation, there's little doubt the move to full 1080p will eventually happen. It's not really analogous to the 35 v 16mm film stock choices of old anime. The cels would have all be the same regardless of show, some with just more detail when they had time and money to pay more animators and painters, and more money for better quality stock. All digital animation needs are better computers and nicer monitors for everyone to work off of, all of the hand drawn details would be done the same way: key frames and in-betweens drawn out, scanned, colored, and composited with all of the other elements in the shot.

They've come a long way since the late 90s, when digital coloring was atrocious and color palettes severely lacking.

getchman wrote:
they released Dance in the Vampire Bund uncensored, and that has a 10-12 year old vampire girl naked. no one complained about that. Funimation will release everything completely uncensored.

Didn't they have some PR hiccup about censorship, and then fully devoted themselves to leaving the show untouched?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Didn't they have some PR hiccup about censorship, and then fully devoted themselves to leaving the show untouched?

They did. FUNimation censored their streams and threatened to censor their home video releases by way editing out certain scenes. Note that there are 616 posts in that sh*tstorm of a discussion thread (it only lasted two days before being locked).

Anyway, after it hit the fan, FUNi then relented and said that the home video release would be uncensored.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Astara_ wrote:
portraying demons in a positive light -- and portraying them in a sexy rather unclothed light as well!...

You...you...anti-demonist!

And all the best demons are sexy and mostly unclothed!
Astara_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Very, very, very, very few (I can't think of one) TV anime are animated at 1080p. The majority of HD series are animated at somewhere between 1024x576 and 1280x720. So FUNimation typically offers the same quality as Japan

Nearly all current releases are 1080p.

one group -- crunchroll -- even has offered same day same-day as broadcast, streaming 1080p service since the beginning of this year. (
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2012-01-12/crunchyroll-launches-full-1080p-video-streams.)

So anime has been being produced and shown in Japan in 1080p for a few years now. But many of those same releases only hit US markets in DVD form -- some to be "re sold" to you again in BR form so they can get twice the bux... It's like releasing everything in 1-4 episode box sets, @ 50-60 each, and then releasing the whole series in 1 set at 60 (or on 1 disk at 30. It's all about milking consumers for all they are worth.

So having seen this scenario played out scores of times with various series I wanted to get --- forgive me if I sound a bit jaded, but it became more than a matter of money when I ran out of space for all the big boxes that only held 2-3 episodes, I'd just wait for the single disc version -- one BR can hold about 6 dual density DVD's without overcompression.

He.y Fencedude... you got it backwards...I was "afearin", that they'd censor things like that because of that. Like the editing out of the references in the US-dialoge and us subtitles of references to psychedelic mushrooms that leyna ate in Queens blade in an early forest episode... can't have those drug references either!...

Watching Inyasha -- with japanese translated subitles and US dialogue -- is like watching two different shows.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Astara_ wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

one group -- crunchroll -- even has offered same day same-day as broadcast, streaming 1080p service since the beginning of this year. (
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2012-01-12/crunchyroll-launches-full-1080p-video-streams.)

I'm going to stop you right there.

See, what you're linking to is that Crunchyroll does 1080p streams. That is completely true. They upscale content to 1920x1080 and then stream it. However, this does not mean that TV anime is created at 1920x1080.

Read this if you want to see some specifics about the process Crunchyroll uses.
Astara_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Astara_ wrote:

I'm going to stop you right there.

See, what you're linking to is that Crunchyroll does 1080p streams. That is completely true. They upscale content to 1920x1080 and then stream it. However, this does not mean that TV anime is created at 1920x1080.

Read this if you want to see some specifics about the process Crunchyroll uses.

Thanks for the link... but the link says 1) that crunchy roll is JNOT upscaling -- but is "using the same 1080p tapes that the TV stations use to broadcast the anime".

That also implies that the TV stations use 1080p sources which they may or may not broadcast in 1080p.

It is not the case that they upscale.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Astara_ wrote:

Thanks for the link... but the link says 1) that crunchy roll is JNOT upscaling -- but is "using the same 1080p tapes that the TV stations use to broadcast the anime".

That also implies that the TV stations use 1080p sources which they may or may not broadcast in 1080p.

It is not the case that they upscale.

Yes, but the shows aren't actually animated in 1080p. AFAIK, no TV anime has been fully animated in 1080p, though I believe some parts of Hyouka were.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Very few weekly Anime series are animated in 1080p, which means those so-called 1080p sources the Japanese hand Crunchyroll are upscales themselves.

Didn't the article cover that?

Edit: beaten to the punch.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Since you don't seem capable of reading something that long, let me specify the quote then.

Quote:
However, and this is important, just because they get a HDCAM tape at 1440x1080 does not mean that a show would have actually been produced or mastered anywhere near that resolution.

The rest of the article then goes, one by one, to test the winter season anime that Crunchyroll was streaming at 1080p to see more or less what the native resolution it was animated at. Another and Nisemonogatari were the best at around 1600x900, but that is still not 1920x1080.

EDIT: This post is directed at Astara if that wasn't clear enough.
Astara_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Since you don't seem capable of reading something that long, let me specify the quote then.

Quote:
However, and this is important, just because they get a HDCAM tape at 1440x1080 does not mean that a show would have actually been produced or mastered anywhere near that resolution.

The rest of the article then goes, one by one, to test the winter season anime that Crunchyroll was streaming at 1080p to see more or less what the native resolution it was animated at. Another and Nisemonogatari were the best at around 1600x900, but that is still not 1920x1080.

EDIT: This post is directed at Astara if that wasn't clear enough.

====
I read that... but didn't think it was important since 900 > 720p, and converting it to 720p would lose quality.

But then I figured anyone could do that math -- except those who, perhaps a bit logically challenged, think that my not mentioning it meant that I hadn't read it.

I believe the point was that 1080p would be the only medium capable of delivering the full quality of the anime.

Furthermore, TV stations AND crunchyroll's media has already been encoded at 1080p. To re-encode it at another size would be doubly lossy.

So what's your point again?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6