• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Posts Basquash! Anime Episodes on YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I never read about that in the review of the first episode of this series. What episode did this occur? Because I thought this series was about Basketball.

Episode 4. It's about basketball... and boobs... and girls who become sexually aroused over basketball... you get the picture.

The art's fantastic, though.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I never read about that in the review of the first episode of this series. What episode did this occur? Because I thought this series was about Basketball.

Episode 4. It's about basketball... and boobs... and girls who become sexually aroused over basketball... you get the picture.

The art's fantastic, though.

Wow, that sounds like its pretty bizare. But I've seen odder things though.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
omoikane wrote:
But boobs (moon boobs are misogynistic? isn't it the opposite?) and stupid storyline is par for the course for pop media. Fits its youtube home like a tee.

Hmm...you're right. Let's replace "misogynistic" with "appallingly sexist and objectifying of women." Spending half an episode staring at a woman's bouncing breasts is about the lowest form of entertainment out there.

(500th post!)

It's about basketball, alright.
However, the creators of this series have an interesting theory about low gravity's effect on breasts. Very Happy
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
omoikane wrote:
But boobs (moon boobs are misogynistic? isn't it the opposite?) and stupid storyline is par for the course for pop media. Fits its youtube home like a tee.

Hmm...you're right. Let's replace "misogynistic" with "appallingly sexist and objectifying of women." Spending half an episode staring at a woman's bouncing breasts is about the lowest form of entertainment out there.

(500th post!)

And this makes it different from a billion other popular shounen (or is it seinen) action shows how? It's not my favorite part about these types of shows but why call this one out on it?
tarheel91

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
omoikane wrote:

(500th post!)

You might want to look up the definition of parody. The whole boob thing is not done seriously. It's taking the obsession a lot of anime has with impossibly large breasts and presenting it in a comical way (every thing about these moon boobs are exaggerated), also known as parody.

Don't even try sexism. One of the main Basquash players is a woman, and their manager/promoter who's calling ALL the shots is a woman.

Oh, and by the way, even Shakespeare uses broad humor (read just about any play of his and you'll find countless sexual puns and innuendos); there's nothing particularly wrong with it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Let's replace "misogynistic" with "appallingly sexist and objectifying of women." Spending half an episode staring at a woman's bouncing breasts is about the lowest form of entertainment out there.

(500th post!)

And this makes it different from a billion other popular shounen (or is it seinen) action shows how? It's not my favorite part about these types of shows but why call this one out on it?

Because it's really, really glaring in episode 4. As I said, pretty much half of the episode is close-ups of a characters breasts, which are exceptionally large due to the low gravity on the moon. I have never seen a shounen action series where large boobs play such a central role in the story. And then there's the girl who orgasms whenever she sees good basketball being played. Shall I go on?

tarheel91 wrote:
]You might want to look up the definition of parody. The whole boob thing is not done seriously. It's taking the obsession a lot of anime has with impossibly large breasts and presenting it in a comical way (every thing about these moon boobs are exaggerated), also known as parody.

It may be meant as funny, but it's still demeaning and objectifying. DO you seriously think it's meant only as parody and not least partly for the titillation of its (mostly male) audience? Your kidding yourself if you do.

tarheel91 wrote:
Don't even try sexism. One of the main Basquash players is a woman, and their manager/promoter who's calling ALL the shots is a woman.

You might want to look up the definition of sexism.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sexism
Only the women in this series are hyper-sexualized, which perpetuates the portrayal of women primarily as objects of male sexual desire. It doesn't matter whether they're bossy or in positions of power, it's still a sexist depiction of women.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Let's replace "misogynistic" with "appallingly sexist and objectifying of women." Spending half an episode staring at a woman's bouncing breasts is about the lowest form of entertainment out there.

(500th post!)

Because it's really, really glaring in episode 4. As I said, pretty much half of the episode is close-ups of a characters breasts, which are exceptionally large due to the low gravity on the moon. I have never seen a shounen action series where large boobs play such a central role in the story. And then there's the girl who orgasms whenever she sees good basketball being played. Shall I go on?

tarheel91 wrote:
]You might want to look up the definition of parody. The whole boob thing is not done seriously. It's taking the obsession a lot of anime has with impossibly large breasts and presenting it in a comical way (every thing about these moon boobs are exaggerated), also known as parody.

It may be meant as funny, but it's still demeaning and objectifying. DO you seriously think it's meant only as parody and not least partly for the titillation of its (mostly male) audience? Your kidding yourself if you do.

tarheel91 wrote:

You might want to look up the definition of sexism.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sexism
Only the women in this series are hyper-sexualized, which perpetuates the portrayal of women primarily as objects of male sexual desire.

Look at any shounen, and you'll see something similar to this. Soul Eater had that cat witch, Bleach has Matsumoto, Naruto has Tsunade. All of them feature ridiculously large breasts for no apparent reason. Basquash is parodying this (taking this obsession and presenting it in a comical way). The boobs are huge even for shounen, and their movement is so exaggerated it's well beyond attractive.

For further proof, check out Sela, a more serious character:
Notice the lack of massive boobs?

It's a parody of shounen's obsession with breasts; it's not endorsing such things.

sexism - prejudice or discrimination based on sex ; especially : discrimination against women

Women are portrayed as having just as much potential as men. One woman is the promoter for the group, and she single-handedly manipulates a city into doing what she wants. The other is on par with the main character in terms of skills. Coco, the sister of Dan, is portrayed as intelligent and quite capable despite her disability.

As for the orgasming at basketball (I hardly see how this is worse than all the nosebleed jokes, but somehow they're fine?), where were you when Kitamura was frequently displayed a sex object in ToraDora? Why wasn't that sexual objectification? I bet you didn't have a problem with it. Why? Because jokes of a sexual nature are actually pretty funny. The characters in this show tend to have exaggerated single traits (read: comedy of humors) that clash against each other's. Iceman Hotty has his obsession with destruction. Sela D. Miranda wants to be dominated; the moon woman wants to dominate. None of it is sexism or anything like that; it's all classic, very nicely done comedy in an awesome action setting.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Tarheel91, it might surprise you to know that I don't actually like any of the examples you mentioned either. But what makes, say, Matsumoto and Tsunade different is that, while they have gigantic boobs, it was never the point of the entire episode.

True, women are portrayed as playing basketball and being managers. But that's undercut by potraying them primarily as sexualized beings, with no real other attributes. The athletic girl wet herself over men playing basketball and being obsessed with "seed" - in fact, that's the only reason she plays basketball, to find a man to dominate her - and the Moon woman, well...

I see your innocent promo art poster and raise you a screencap:

That is episode 4. As in, half of episode 4 is that. Only bouncy. You think it's a "nicely done comedy," to me it just impedes on a beautifully animated series by making it the lowest-brow humor that appeals primarily to horny male adolescents.

And yes, that was a back-handed insult. Deal with it.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
It's parody. Like in Gurren Lagann it's not played straight. Like in Beat to Death With A Club Angel Dokuro Chan, like in Haruhi Suzumiya it's not going out of it's way to be sexist. The same type of humor is used in reverse in The Wallflower and in Ouran High School Host club, it's the type of stuff that could be titillating used in a different way but it's not really because it is parody.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Fine! /me throws her hands up in despair

If you guys can't see why a 25-year old woman would find the "joke" of a woman's pendulous boobs bobbing in front of a camera for an entire episode to be offensive, unfunny, and juvenile, then I give up.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
*sigh* Fine! /me throws her hands up in despair

If you guys can't see why a 25-year old woman would find the "joke" of a woman's pendulous boobs bobbing in front of a camera for an entire episode to be offensive, unfunny, and juvenile, then I give up.

IT'S NOT A "JOKE." The show is actually on your side, and you might see that if you'd stop being so reactionary and think for a second. It's criticizing the same obsession you are. Maybe the clearest indicator of this is how unattractive that woman actually is (I don't see what your screencap proves; I already acknowledged she has massive breats). She looks ridiculous. A parody is far more sophisticated than "haha, huge boobs!"

In case you didn't notice, her boobs were not the point of anything in the episode. The focus was on Basquash constantly (the old guy's constant repeating of "I like big things" was a pretty subtle double entendre which you probably assumed was more "low brow humor"). You're the only one who sees them as primarily sexual objects. I see the moon woman's main role as promoting these kids. I see Sela's main role as playing basketball. Sure, they also serve as comedic devices, particularly through their dominate attributes (again, common in classic comedy and known as comedy of humors), but it's not like including anything sexual in your humor is wrong. Again, Shakespeare himself uses tons of it (and much more low brow than this). It's like you're trying to turn this into something it's not. Oh wait, that's what all hyper-feminists do. What was I thinking?
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
This is good for Japanese-speaking viewers but doesn't help the English-speakers. Why can't they also have a subbed version? Conservatives.

Although Youtube has an HD option now, for this show, you need more than just HD and if you ask me, youtube isn't going to cut it. The CGI in this series is "too much" for youtube even though it kinda deteriorated in the last couple episodes

Actually Youtube's HQ formats (&fmt=18 for SD and &fmt=22 for HD) are great. But they can only be as good as whatever is supplied by the uploader. Somehow I'm not surprised that official videos look pretty mediocre even in HQ.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
offensive, unfunny, and juvenile

I wouldn't argue with anyone finding it unfunny or juvenile, but I roll my eyes at people calling it "offensive."

The problem isn’t that it’s a pet-peeve for you—everybody’s got random stuff they personally don’t like—but rather that you’re indignant that the world doesn’t share your opinion that boob jokes are inherently evil.

Putting the joke character Ms. Boobs aside, as for Miyuki and Sela, who are actually intended to be attractive, I don't see a problem with male wish-fulfillment in cartoons anymore than I see a problem with, say, the impossibly perfect Ikuto in Shugo Chara! designed to make girls squeal, or a BL service-shot of Rolo and Lelouch staring lovingly into each others' eyes in Code Geass that’s there to give the fujoshi their doujinshi fodder. I see ths stuff and I grin knowing they're making someone happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2