• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Industry Group Head Says Anime is a Bubble that Burst

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaron

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
It's not just a Japanese thing. DVD sales across the map are falling because the novelty of owning a series/movie has worn off. Entertainment executives everywhere are freaking out because they can't fathom how to make money in the broadband era.

There will be fewer anime series made, but quality should rise when not every idea pitched gets its own OVA. Will bad anime still be produced? Sure, but it'll be less frequent. Plus, maybe these execs will learn to harness the power of the Internet when they listen to fans at sites like ANN and produce series based on what we clamor for on the forums.

Well I think a lot of people were tired of being screwed by buying the individual DVDs than right around disc 6, the companies would release the package of the entire series for 1/4 of the cost of the single DVDs.

I bought at Media Play (RIP) during the first week and saved $10 a single DVD, which made a difference in the long haul. I use to buy a lot of DVDs from the internet sites which saved me a bundle. Things are a bit tight and I have not bought as much anime as much anymore, but I do own several hundred DVDs in my collection.

Quality has been way down and originality seems to be very short supply, so please let original anime come to the party!!!!
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Good God, I find myself in general agreement with Mohawk52.

Descent123 wrote:
Mind Game, Paprika, and The Sky Crawlers are not experimental or anthologies films. I don't consider them to be in the league of Robot Carnival and the others.

Didn't claim that were anthologies; furthermore, you apparently haven't seen any of them (going by your anime list). Even so, we're talking about what they are, not qualitative evaluations; if you can point to an older anime remotely similar to Mind Game, I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
The animation quality on Robot Carnival and Neo-Tokyo will destroy just about any anime nowadays. If you watched both of them you'll understand what I'm talking about. They are reasons why I love art done by hand more than computers, and those are reasons why I held Robot Carnival and Neo-Tokyo in high regards.

Robot Carnival has ridiculous production values and animation, but Neo-Tokyo isn't as impressive. Neither are really free from dropping their own share of stinkers amidst the worthwhile gems.

And if we're talking about cels vs. digital, I've still yet to see how any anime studio could have done something like Mononoke.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
Hi guys, I know this is an old news but I wanted tell something to the companies and studios in Japan about fansubs, internet and anime.

Let me tell you a bit about what I feel, think and hope for anime in Canada and United States please. In this message, if you're a studio, working anime artist, fanclub or someone related to this industry please understand this is a long reading but full of ideas and personal feelings toward marketing, reaching the fans and improving the communication channels between Japan and North America. I highly recommend studios to read it thoroughly because I'm reporting what I have seen and felt in the past years from 2005 to 2010 to until now, as the situation of the fan websites, a anime fan experience (viewer) and what possibilities lie ahead that I have watched and understood for myself for the future.

My first exposure ever to an anime experience was with a friend of my mine after we played Dungeon and Dragons, we became friends, and he was member of the University Laval anime club. He brought me a bunch of DvDs and said to me you'll absolutely must watch this title, and this one too! Lodoss War, Hella Blue Girl, Escaflowne and Slayers (I laughs too much with Lina Inverse's anger explosions and rather wild personality that always stayed stuck in my mind and Gary's idiotic look at everything he did). As far as I'm concerned Lodoss is one of a kind for the fantasy genre while Escaflowne is one of the videos he played in my basement as we watched it I was totally fascinated!

That was the start of my online experience but when I absolutely wanted to watch more anime from Japan there was nothing available and nothing in stores, although a few video rental had some, it quickly came down to "I already watched this one" te ne. I was searching on the net for fun and trying to do something during my free time in the summer vacation, mid July 2005, I was 24 years old at that time. It came to my mind I was always fascinated by anime so much more fun, intense and expressive than the cartoons we had. So, I went ahead to check if I get more information how it and where to watch series I heard about from friends.

I searched the search engines and found out *removed* because there were no legit channels to view anime like Lodoss War, Escaflowne and other titles that I knew about. I was just about to enter the fandom of anime to discover the large world and libraries of the fansub groups... After a while, maybe a year and a half, I thought about looking for more websites and found out there were a multitude of anime fan sites where I could check out series that were not shown on zomganime website which came to be where I spent my evenings watching anywhere between 4 to 12 episodes. I just devoured series one after another!!! Mystical worlds and fantastic themes literally blew me off my feet without looking back ever again. When I watched Ah! My Goddess! I was charmed by the romance and comical jokes of those awesome characters! When I watched 12 Kingdoms, the empress made a very strong impression on me, my destiny and the older ways. I just imagined how it would be to be there and live it... and what it meant to be a leader, always putting everything on her shoulders. Long forsaken eras and ancient kingdoms with powerful magic and knights have such a charm, mysticism and culture anime were able to describe accurately. Although, I will admit it openly that in the past two years I upped the viewing time and frequency to entire series in a row of non-stop watching like Bleach, Dragonball (Z & GT etc.), Naruto, InuYasha, Gundam, One Piece and some Detective Conan... all in one shot, let me tell you that 428 episodes of One Piece is a hell of a boat ride but so much fun! I could watched it when I wanted, I never missed the TV episode airing time and I could do it at ease fully enjoying the anime titles.

I was super hyped and happy when I felt that I could watch so many cool series online at any time I wanted unlike on TV where when I would get back from school or work I would maybe have missed an episode or when the series never completely aired by default of not being entirely translated on dub. On the internet everything was stand still and I could watch the entire seasons without waiting, with superb quality subtitles but sometimes low video quality, and it allowed me to delve into the Japanese culture which I knew pretty much nothing about as far as I can tell today. I also found out that just like video games Secret of Mana incited me to open an English dictionary to understand the four seasons puzzle, anime was the door that brought myself to the Japanese culture and into new worlds.

I quickly became very passionate about anime and the genres because I'm someone who easily imagine things and love fantasy stories talking about other worlds. The thing that got me more into it was its availability on the fansubs sites. At that time, I always wondered why the anime companies and industries did not realize it, like "BAM" a slamming door on your face that thing hits you, why isn't there online distribution of digital content pushed forward and official viewing with paying memberships or some kind of easy access to anime productions? Just for the records, I'm member on ANN and Crunchyroll, but both don't have all the series so I go to websites like *removed* and other websites with quality episodes coming weekly to get a glimpse at amazing new stories told by the creators of new worlds.

To this day, I'm still dazzled as why the studios and associations are not more aggressive and prompto about their international marketing strategies for the anime, ruling the internet which is potentially their ground as TV is for movies, and what's wrong with making openly available worldwide, at the very conceptual level during the creation of the anime, the companies could get together and say ok this will be distributed on websites WORLDWIDE like Showtime, Crunchyroll, ANN and elsewhere to digitally racket a profit and get our cash. If possible make one website to market it and stream like a huge ITUNE of the anime industry.

The keywords are availability and quality. With the internet age...how is it not available to everybody and in every countries to make the most money and popularity (*BOOM!*) is still a mystery that you guys in Japan did not work it out already to fully maximize it. Hire fansubs groups who excels and bring out very popular subs like Dattebayo who make professional subtitling, brand and market more your stuff, get their cooperation and fandom for your industry...I think everybody will agree! UP YOUR POWER with fansubs doing your ads and publicly opening the channels more appropriately to enhance availability, viewing experience easiness and respond to fans demand. I know thousands of people want to just have a means to watch anime PAID but can't because it's just not available to them. The potential of an international website who gives access to every anime is huge but CRUNCHYROLL could not do as much as they anticipated because of the problems zones limitations and countries BLOCKED, that one alone destroys a part of the market if left unchecked, what's up with blocking your customers and sales? Do you want ruining yourselves so badly as to stop people from watching... from a fan point of view that's mind boggling, disturbing and rather more than frustrating which pushes us to go to fansubs groups websites because elsewhere it is not available?

Fans will go where they can see anime and maybe get an added bonus of episodes in HD...

Because for a long I've been wanting to help the anime industry I will suggest cool stuff and ideas I came up but meanwhile within the next five years I predict the potential of the digital services for anime distribution on the internet to hold the possibility to explode and amaze.

I don't care if I'm charges anywhere between 10 to 15$ CAD to watch the anime series monthly because as long as you guys allow viewing of your titles you will be making more money over the quantity of members and I will get to see my animes in high quality HD 480p/720p/1080p. If possible raise the quality to 1080p, shoot down movies industry with top notch series an take over the market on internet because in my opinion this is your battleground that you have the advantage over them when compared to TV stations where you fight it out when should you do it properly with all the fans you guys have on the internet I'm sure you'll find out extraordinary new possibilities.

At the moment, I'm watching Dance in a Vampire Bund, Baka to Test to Shokanjou and the titles coming out for winter 2010 on *removed* because they are not possible to watch elsewhere, please open up online sites like these with hundreds of anime titles to view anime like these. I feel that it's very important to your anime industry to adapt more friendly, better understand and move along the flow that fans follows worldwide and in north America and particularly in Europe (which is stricter in regulation for media content)think about, so that nobody misses your fantastic upcoming titles and it gives you something more to cash in.

What makes my week is when I'm able to relax or thrilled to get back home to watch cool new series and check out classics or older ones I never knew about because of the fansubs who translate them pretty well in beautiful text colors and letters, caption for the karaoke showing the kanji that have been translated in romanji and English. I simply love the Karaoke for Bleach Shojo S that Dattebayo has done. It got me to search and discover the bands behind the music and sound tracks which ultimately lead me to only love J-POP and J-ROCK as primary music choice. I'm now a big fan of Scandal and Kamikaze Shonen songs. So please, improve your Karoake stuff, take spectacularly popular fansubs groups as models then try to work with them to add better ones in your series. Great subtitles and karaoke have a huge impact on the success and image a series give. First of all, it's the dialogue and also it's the songs we want to remember or maybe sing if they are real good. New idea I had is why don't we add the subtitles right off the making point of the anime?

One of the anime that charmed me the most was Macross Frontier's musical score and legendary Ghost in the Shell, both stylish and very entertaining. What I don't like is anime that feels empty of a shell and completely blurred. What I really want you guys to understand is that there is a market but you got to push in the right way. In Canada, I have not seen cartoons and anime valuable for years. If TV is a problem I'm certain internet solves it with advertisement on fanclubs and fansubs site.

I would like anime studios to broadcast more online, real time and also classics that just like those titles that made me love anime and discover that ton of other worlds existed, could last forever.

Why not create a library of anime, a place where like animenewsnetwork the fans could watch any anime, every anime, for a price yearly, monthly and so on? Why not discuss ads, sponsors and do like you did recently by adding simple but super cool ads of 10-16 secs maximum to not disrupt too much the viewers experience but give ways to generate income and also promotes upcoming titles coming out later the same year, or maybe is it a blu-ray disc, a classic remastered or something like that? Can't Japanese anime association of producers get together and open that avenue for fans internationally so that fans subscribes, easily BOOST your cash flow and popularity, then in turn when someone wants to own the series because it is exceptional and the fan takes it to heart as a personal favorite, wouldn't it be fantastic?

In my opinion, with so many talented groups of individuals out there would be so much less problems if you guys worked hand in hand with anime websites, not to stop distribution via fans channels by hammering them but improving the channels advertising power. I don't feel there is something more powerful than the internet for the success of the years to come. Why not adapt and use it then, c'mon you guys you're geniuses behind the creativity in games and anime, so you surely will get on the bang wagon of the digital age to make back your cash and net a profit! Smile

This was my thoughts for anime creators and distributors. Overall, I feel that the streaming anime channels would generate great income if you guys brought the best titles.

Thank you for reading this, kind regards.

[EDIT: no linking to illegal streaming websites ~Zalis]
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
All of the blame should be placed on Fansubs and fan translations. As well as the recession. Simply put, if there weren't fansubs, Geneon would still be around and ADV flims would have completed Yotsubasa this year.

Yeah, cause people who spent all that money on food and other expenses instead would have turned around and spent it on anime if they had to. I mean... anime is some kind of necessity after all.
Bell02

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't think a "Library of Anime" is a realistic idea any more than one can have "A Library of American Cinema and Television", because in the way you say it it is like asking all the studios to pull together and share profits, which I believe isn't exactly legal in both countries. It also really is what they are trying to do now with Cruncyroll, Viz cinema, Toei, and Funimation's Youtube Account, they buy license to co-broadcast the movies and stream them the same day they Air in Japan.

Doing this with Old series may work, but most people are gravitating towards the newer series. I think older series probably could get picked up when they are cheap enough, but probably shouldn't be a priority.

My personal problems with Streaming is what I've had with Streaming since it started:
1) I don't like any sort of break or loss in connection
2)The lower resolution and quality of stream vs. the broadcast versions.

Maybe a HD rental service would remedy this (A modern rental service of paying a fee with unlimited downloads that expire after membership is up), but Cunchyroll and NetFlicks may already do this (as I don't use the services). That said, I don't think this would turn the economy of Anime around suddenly because fansubs still exists.

What is good news is that it seems like it is not so much a lack of interest in Japanese entertainment in America, because that would really signify a more permanent downfall.

Xanas wrote:

Yeah, cause people who spent all that money on food and other expenses instead would have turned around and spent it on anime if they had to. I mean... anime is some kind of necessity after all.

Actually, you'll find entertainment is more important than one may think, but that's another point another topic.

I will say that Fansubs do hurt DVD sales at this point, but even more they hurt network broadcasting, which is generally free or included to those frugal fans. Most kids are not going to watch a Cartoon Network dub when they can watch a fan sub with harsher language (as in "Cool! Naruto said the 'F-word' they cut that out of the stupid Toonami one!"). Then if they don't watch the TV shows then the they don't watch the advertisements, and Networks already are more frugal because of the economy's current impact on Advertisement industry.

I Also think what really is hurting entertainment industries now is the economy, and there isn't much one can do about that (except aim at countries who've fell a little bit less than others).
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm just asking them to bend a bit the rules when asking about the library or get together. Like they would say, " ok, why not?" kind of message but not necessarily everybody sharing profits but maybe the guys making a certain anime from the start decide how to better market it internationally, already English subbed and reach out more fans and customers with streaming channels.

The quality I get on Crunchyroll is a lot higher than any fansub sites in general but a few higher quality ones 1080p directly brought from high feed from long running shows but that's rare. Generally they are maximum in HQ to 480 if I get lucky.

I downloaded Chrome Shelled Regios in high-res because I haven't gotten it in North America dealers. I have been looking at CDjapan and Play-Asia to bring it over with a cool subbed copy. I will buy one of my favorite anime for sure but It's just availability, really.

Fans like me who are very passionate about their anime just want it available with quality video image and subs/dubs. I don't really care about English dub because I speak more than French and English but it's cool when dubs are well made but usually I prefer Japanese subs anyway, acting is much better in general for anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8