• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Adds Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then, Here and There

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Figured there was gonna be some kind of license rescue from CPM titles which means I should look forward to a future box set re-release of Now and Then Here and There. Now there's still the matter of who is gonna pick off Utena.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
If they got those two great animes, I can't wait to see what else they got Very Happy
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I already own Grave of the Fireflies & Now & Then Here There but I am definitely happy to see them not go out of print. They are too excellent for that.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the first time that ADV went after former CPM titles. If anyone recalls, ADV got the original Area 88 OVA series from CPM and released all the episodes on DVD.

That said, it's great to see that these former CPM titles won't remain in limbo forever. I for one would love to see Legend of Lemnear get a proper DVD release with the entire ending intact.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting as other people have said. I love ADV. Razz
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I can only assume Funimation must already have Utena or something. I don't know why else ADV would avoid picking up the one CPM series that has the best chance of selling. But then ADV isn't exactly known for making the smartest business decisions...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Who knew ADV was still around?

They've been soliciting titles every month and releasing them with no issues, with assorted new titles like Clannad and Princess Resurrection, and some rescues like Pet Shop of Horrors and Mahoromatic among others. They picked up the fairly high profile Appleseed CGI movie too.

They've also been actively picking up titles for their AnimeNetwork digital cable on demand station, and have redesigned their theanimenetwork.com website.

Anyhoo, Mario, in regards to your post, what exactly have they done to deserve to die? Get out of a bad business situation?

KabaKaba--- in Area 88's case, the license has expired ages ago [which is why CPM only released 1 episode on DVDback in 1999-ish, as they only had the rights to said 1st OVA ]. ADV went directly to the original licensor for that show, and created a new dub.

In this case though, given how quickly after CPM's announcement of bankruptcy this is all popping up and the inclusion of MDGeist and Fireflies, I'm guessing they got the rights to this stuff directly from CPM. Let's keep watching to see what else they picked up Smile

Last edited by Paploo on Tue May 05, 2009 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Here's to hoping someone rescues Descendants of Darkness, as well...
bci110

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Looks like my window of opportunity to nab NTHT went from being nearly shut to completely open Very Happy .

And while I already own the CPM release, it is nice to see that World of Narue found a new home.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
So ADV got first crack at the corpse, huh?

The people in charge of CPM's liquidation must be going through the Rolodex in alphabetical order. 4Kids must've passed, and Bandai is next.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Very surprised that 1.) ADV picked up these titles and 2.) That they have street dates for these releases so soon as well. Like others I fully expected Funimation to be first with license rescue announcements, but I guess old ADV still has some life left in them. At the least there are still some choice titles left up for grabs so I wanna see how this pans out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I only learned about NT, HT recently but I've been jonesing for it...I have such an anime chub right now!

TMI?
bj_waters

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
So ADV got first crack at the corpse, huh?

The people in charge of CPM's liquidation must be going through the Rolodex in alphabetical order. 4Kids must've passed, and Bandai is next.

LOL.

Wait, what about Animeigo? And does Anime Works count or do they file under "Media Blasters"
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
i'm glad ADV picked up World of Narue and Now and Then...

Narue is sweet love action comedy that every anime fan should see...

now that i think about it, i bought Now and Then a LOOOOONG time ago but i have yet to watch it....i got caught up with other stuff and completely forgot that i had it...

now...Grave of the Fireflies....GOD that movie made me angry...i won't spoil for those who haven't seen it yet but the kid could have done much better for his sister than what happened in the movie...that's all i'm gonna say...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Awesome- nice to see some good classics picked up by ADV so i have a good reason to give them money. Definitely looking for Grave of the Firefiles and NTHT... and if there's even a smidge of new content in the Narue release, I'll re-buy it. It's one of my favorite 'low profile' shows (in case the avi isn't a dead giveaway. Laughing )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9