• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Adds Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then, Here and There

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Now this is an interesting turn of events. How many people expected ADV - instead of Funimation - to be the one to step up and do this? At least two of them are solid and well-proven titles which highly deserve to be kept in circulation, too.

Probably shouldn't be a big surprise, though, considering that this is what Funimation has been doing for the past year and a half: rescuing titles whose production work (and, notably, dubbing) has already been done, so the actual release costs are minimal. Still, it's great to see signs of life from ADV.

I think you've hit it. I was a bit surprised that these were picked up so fast, but not surprised at all that it was ADV. They really need to get money flowing and this should help a bit.
Ligene

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Glad that ADV is still around and kicking (somewhat). Will finally have the chance to add NT, HT to my collection. ♥

Although someone should really pick up Utena so I can have a crack at that.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
y cant ADV get Ah! My Goddess fighting wing all ready
bci110

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
So ADV got first crack at the corpse, huh?

The people in charge of CPM's liquidation must be going through the Rolodex in alphabetical order. 4Kids must've passed, and Bandai is next.

LOL.

Wait, what about Animeigo? And does Anime Works count or do they file under "Media Blasters"

Anime Works files under Media Blasters. I guess Derek assumes that AnimeEigo is going to pass on the old CPM licenses anyway so that's probably why he skipped them and went staight to Bandai Laughing .

While we're at it, it most likely won't happen but I hope that either ADV or someone else picks up DNA Squared - both the TV series and the OVA. I think it's a pretty neat title with a decent story and characters, and it has some of the best vomiting scenes in anime.
MH Knights

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
The important question is if ADV will keep the classic CGI US Manga Corps MD Geist intro.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Words of warning: Any future comments/complaints in this thread about ADV dubbing or not dubbing anime will be summarily deleted. They're pointless, annoying, repetitive, and most importantly, irrelevant to the topic at hand. You know who you are.

GotF, Narue, and NTHT are all good choices, nice to see them getting a new lease on (shelf) life. But MD Geist? Why can't it just die already? Oh right, the undead thing. What's next on the rescue list, Garzey's Wing, Garaga, The Humanoid, and Arcade Gamer Fubuki?

And while we're in Magical Golden Unicorn Wishlist Mode (tm), Shadow Star Narutaru and Animation Runner Kuromi would be a few other titles worth salvaging.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Seen both the dub version of NTHT and GOTF and both were truly great. Not spoiling the ending of Fireflies except that is is sad.
Grico

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps companies think Utena is too long? Have we seen any recent license rescues of series longer than one season? I think it is certainly worth the risk, Utena is a good series that would have decent appeal in new shiny thinpacks I would think.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Words of warning: Any future comments/complaints in this thread about ADV dubbing or not dubbing anime will be summarily deleted. They're pointless, annoying, repetitive, and most importantly, irrelevant to the topic at hand. You know who you are.

GotF, Narue, and NTHT are all good choices, nice to see them getting a new lease on (shelf) life. But MD Geist? Why can't it just die already? Oh right, the undead thing. What's next on the rescue list, Garzey's Wing, Garaga, The Humanoid, and Arcade Gamer Fubuki?

And while we're in Magical Golden Unicorn Wishlist Mode (tm), Shadow Star Narutaru and Animation Runner Kuromi would be a few other titles worth salvaging.

Why do you hate MD Geist so much? What did that OVA ever do to you?

While we're talking about license resuces, why stop with CPM? There's plenty of Geneon, Synch-Point, Tokyopop, and Super Techno Arts titles that are also wallowing in limbo. (Does anyone know if Viz still has Flame of Recca, Boys Over Flowers, and Ceres: Celestial Legend, or have their rights to those shows expired as well?)
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
...well, at least there is still competition among others instead of slowing moving towards "monopolization." But then again, I must be a little off sometimes...it's good that ADV was quick to the rescue. Smile
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Woot ADV! I have faith you guys can get out of your rut!
I already ruined NTHT by catching only the last episode when it was on SciFi, but that was one heck of a last episode, so I just might have to get the whole thing now.
MD Geist... **shudders** I'll never forgive it for letting me chose it for a rental. Its not my fault dammit!! Razz

Edit:
Quote:
While we're talking about license resuces, why stop with CPM? There's plenty of Geneon,

Girls Bravo is still up for grabs, isn't it? Embarassed
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
This is great news. NTHT is one of the best anime series that has come out, period.

And if they re-author it like Justin suggests I will probably double dip.

Grave of the Fireflies is also good, and I am glad it is not disappearing.

I enjoyed Narue as well, though it really doesn't stand up to the first two giants.

And Geist, it's ironic that they will be taking the title character from CPM's logo. Hopefully they won't suffer the same fate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Having NTHT on my shelf doesn't seem like a dream anymore.

Thank you, ADV. Anime cry
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really surprised Di$ney didn't swipe Grave of the Fireflies, since I imagine that's actually a tougher Takahata sell for them than even Only Yesterday, since they'd be accused of being "unpatriotic", if they showed the Japanese side in the war.

jsevakis: I hope they let you work for them, myself. And yeah, those features were awesome. I don't like admitting it, but I just ordered the steel case version of Appleseed from the Rightstuf sale, because the ADV one doesn't have any of the good stuff. I did buy the company's recent Nuku Nuku and Japanese Robotech boxsets, though. I'm surprised they wanted M.D. Geist, though. Maybe they'll go for one of those reverse psychology ads and use your Buried Garbage comments for it. Laughing

penguin: I knew they were still around, but everyone else left the company for dead so they could jerk off to bad moe shows.

Libertarian: Tell me about it. Amazon was still charging the full MSRP for the Patlabor boxsets a couple years back.

Jedi: I'd like to see ADV finally put the Rumik World stuff on DVD, but Justin said even CPM couldn't do that.

Elly:
Quote:
I don't know why else ADV would avoid picking up the one CPM series that has the best chance of selling.

Because CPM had to go through a lot of legal wrangling just to the last 24 episodes? And that was when they were in good shape, I might add. I don't think anyone else wants to deal with that kind of bs, too.

Quote:
But then ADV isn't exactly known for making the smartest business decisions...

Licensing titles fans actually want versus titles which they have to stream online in order to justify a dvd release-because most people who do buy anime do it sparingly and tend to be freeloaders the rest of the time-sounds like a good plan to me.

Lucky: FUNimation won't touch most of CPM's stuff, because it ain't new and shiny. [Gimme some more Lupin, already Gen!] And if they do pick it up, in spite of its age, FUNi will probably take forever to put it out on DVD.

bj:
Quote:
Wait, what about Animeigo?

Hopefully, ADV will be smart enough to rescue KOR.

Zalis: I think they'd be smart to get that Baki OAV myself.

Grico: More like too expensive.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, two of the few "Masterpieces" I've given being picked up; count me in as well for NTHT if it's re-authored. Ummm...is it too soon after such good news to start whining for a completely remastered and re-dubbed blu-ray of Grave of the Fireflies? Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9