• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Shadowplay

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anath_19

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He can also capture demons for a variety of magical ends, without any of the pantywaist negotiating required in that other Shin Megami Tensei spin-off series, Persona.

Actually, Devil Summoner 2 does have negotiation (and Persona 3 and 4 don't, though 1 and 2 do have negotiation). To quote a couple different sources on Devil Summoner 2:
Atlus wrote:
Deeper demon integration - Demon negotiation returns with more than twice the number of demons to attempt to recruit to your side. Create more powerful demons through fusion and skill transfer. Control two demons in battle and choose from more tactical options.
Source

RPGamer wrote:
Demon negotiation is back and there are twice as many demons to recruit.
Source

Though, Devil Summoner 1 didn't have any negotiation, so the mistake is understandable.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Ohh god, Klonoa!! **froth** Somehow I've found myself on a Klonoa-fangirl spasm for the past week. It started with listening to the original soundtrack over and over, then I actually started playing the original ps1 game last night. Looks like now I'll have to continue this fan-spree and buy the new Wii version. This excites me greatly.

On another note, wow- I actually recognize that Mazinsaga game from an old ad I remember seeing in an OLD issue of EGM. It only sticks out in my mind because I remember trying to draw that armor suit from the ad. Also, that new Soul Calibur character is cool, but... I'm confused.. where's the f-cup breasts??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shale

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
Man, I remember reading about Mazin Saga in Sega's gaming magazine (Yes, I got Sega's magazine. DON'T JUDGE ME.), but never actually played it. Hell, by the time I got into anime I'd completely forgotten it existed.

Also, that new Soul Calibur character is amazing. Makes me wish I had a PSP.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Ohh god, Klonoa!! **froth** Somehow I've found myself on a Klonoa-fangirl spasm for the past week. It started with listening to the original soundtrack over and over, then I actually started playing the original ps1 game last night. Looks like now I'll have to continue this fan-spree and buy the new Wii version. This excites me greatly.

Do you have the PS2 game or the two GBA games yet?

I think I've been a Klonoa fanboy type since I first played Klonoa 2 on PS2 back in 2002-ish. I'm rather upset for what they did to Klonoa's English voices for this game (from my experience on youtube), but for anyone who gets this, you've gotta play it with the Phantomilian voices on (especially dub haters/sub purists).
I will probably get this game (although I have the PS1 version) if only to encourage them to make a Klonoa 3 already!
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Joy Division reference? Very Happy
ani12

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
Oh cool, we are getting Fate/Unlimited Codes here! And I can actually download it ^^
Shale

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Jadress wrote:

Two GBA games? I need to get to eBay.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not that anyone expected Capcom to release the game with a box set and special-edition Saber figure, but for thirty bucks, Fate/stay night fans will probably want something they can hold in their hands.

I'd be happy with downloadable content if they'd put it on ANY OTHER PLATFORM. -_- Between my brother, friends, and I, the only thing we don't own is a PSP.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

I think I've been a Klonoa fanboy type since I first played Klonoa 2 on PS2 back in 2002-ish. I'm rather upset for what they did to Klonoa's English voices for this game (from my experience on youtube), but for anyone who gets this, you've gotta play it with the Phantomilian voices on (especially dub haters/sub purists).
I will probably get this game (although I have the PS1 version) if only to encourage them to make a Klonoa 3 already!

I do own the PS2 game and one of the GBA games (I think the second one). To be honest the GBA game was a little disappointing to me- I hated that you have to backtrack through the levels so much to solve the puzzles... it was annoying to me. The graphics were cute though. The PS2 game is *fantastic* too, but when I first played it, I was sad that the franchise took a decidedly more cutesy/kid-friendly-cheesey turn.. although maybe I just wanted to see the totally tragic, depressing ending of the first game continued or resolved happily. Anime cry I haven't seen footage of English voices on Klonoa, but I think I'll be sticking with cute kitty-Japanese-gibberish regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I bought Wiimake Klonoa yesterday and it's just as fun as the original. I haven't gotten very far because I'm in the middle of finals (ha ha...), but it's really neat seeing characters like Balue and Grandpa rendered in such a way that you can actually tell what sort of creatures they are. They've also added the ability to go back and replay levels you've beaten already (like Lunatea's Veil) so if you miss some citizens you don't have to like... play the whole game over. It does seem like they've adjusted the difficulty curve somewhat; not as easy as Lunatea, but easier than the original PS1 game. Also, the English isn't totally awful but it is REALLY jarring-- hearing "WAHOO" voiced by an American dude just doesn't cut it. The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is that the Phantomile voices clearly aren't all the same actors; while Klonoa and Huepow sound right everyone else is a little off-- in particular, Joka's voice has been dropped an octave, so he's not nearly so creepy anymore. Sad

Nonetheless, worth a buy either if you loved the first game or have never been able to play it because of the prohibitive eBay pricing. Very Happy

Also,
[quote="Jadress"]
classicalzawa wrote:
The PS2 game is *fantastic* too, but when I first played it, I was sad that the franchise took a decidedly more cutesy/kid-friendly-cheesey turn.. although maybe I just wanted to see the totally tragic, depressing ending of the first game continued or resolved happily. Anime cry

Really? I thought the second game was in many ways just as heartbreaking as the first, and the beginning "resolves" the end of the first by basically saying spoiler[ Yes, Huepow really did send Klonoa back to wherever he came from and now he is all alone and worse yet, it seems like all of his memories have been wiped and even worse yet, he probably isn't really in his "own" world at all and will probably never get back there. Sucks to be him. ] I thought that immediately set the tone of the second game as LESS kid-friendly than the first-- because in the first game you think it's cute and safe essentially until the last pair of levels.[/spoiler]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Boy that review of Blue Dragon Plus wasn't too thorough =/
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
HJSoulma wrote:
They've also added the ability to go back and replay levels you've beaten already (like Lunatea's Veil) so if you miss some citizens you don't have to like... play the whole game over.

Wha..? I thought you could always go back and replay levels. Or maybe you could once you beat the game? Because I remember replaying all the levels trying to get every crystal and every citizen to unlock Balue's Tower.

Quote:
Really? I thought the second game was in many ways just as heartbreaking as the first, and the beginning "resolves" the end of the first by basically saying spoiler[ Yes, Huepow really did send Klonoa back to wherever he came from and now he is all alone and worse yet, it seems like all of his memories have been wiped and even worse yet, he probably isn't really in his "own" world at all and will probably never get back there. Sucks to be him. ] I thought that immediately set the tone of the second game as LESS kid-friendly than the first-- because in the first game you think it's cute and safe essentially until the last pair of levels.[/spoiler]

Hmm.. well it's been a long time since I've played Lunatea, so I don't really remember that beginning. I knew it spoiler[ established him as a dream traveler who goes to different dream worlds, but I don't remember him being upset at a loss of memory or anything, so to me it felt like an emotional restart to the series.] Or maybe just the characters Lolo and Popka made it feel more kiddy to me. I always thought Lolo was lame as hell. Leorina is a cool character though. Phantomile to me got pretty dark spoiler[when Grandpa dies]. Either way, thanks for posting about the Wiimake.. can't wait to pick it up!
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I played Klonoa 2 first actually, I still prefer its soundtrack to K1's, although K1's is awesome.

As for the GBA games, while they're not as good as the console ones, I still think that they're great interpretations on a handheld. If anything, I found some of the puzzles in the GBA ones more difficult than in either the PS1 or PS2 games. Sure, music and graphics went downhill, but it's a GBA, I rather expected it. But whoever named the games...basically, they named the GBA ones Klonoa and Klonoa 2, which only makes the subtitles under them more important. I do kinda feel that the Klonoa 1's were both related (both had Huepow) and that both of the Klonoa 2's were related (both had Lolo and Popka show up), but still, naming them both Klonoa 2?

Did they add another level for Balue's Tower, or is it still just the one level? That level was killer.

Shale wrote:
Two GBA games? I need to get to eBay.

If you can read Japanese, it should be noted that there's also: Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (Wonder Swan), Klonoa Beach Volleyball (PS1), and Klonoa Heroes: Densetsu no Star Medal (GBA). They should release the latter in America so I can stop being so mad at them. He's also made cameos in Namco X Capcom (as a playable, as well as Guntz, and other Klonoa cameos). His outfit is also an alternate outfit for Presea in Tales of Symphonia (and yes, I made her fight in it at all times once I got it, I don't care what it did to her stats!) as seen here
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:

Wha..? I thought you could always go back and replay levels. Or maybe you could once you beat the game? Because I remember replaying all the levels trying to get every crystal and every citizen to unlock Balue's Tower.
Hmm.. well it's been a long time since I've played Lunatea, so I don't really remember that beginning. I knew it spoiler[ established him as a dream traveler who goes to different dream worlds, but I don't remember him being upset at a loss of memory or anything, so to me it felt like an emotional restart to the series.] Or maybe just the characters Lolo and Popka made it feel more kiddy to me. I always thought Lolo was lame as hell. Leorina is a cool character though. Phantomile to me got pretty dark spoiler[when Grandpa dies]. Either way, thanks for posting about the Wiimake.. can't wait to pick it up!

Ahh, that explain it. After I beat it the first time I don't think I ever reused the same save file, so I probably never got a chance to replay any levels. When you're on first playthrough you can only visit the stages sequentially, though.

As for the second part, my feeling was that spoiler[ it was the audience that was supposed to be sad, not Klonoa-- that he didn't actually remember what happened in Phantomile, which was good for him (sort of) but doubly crushing to the players because he and Huepow had talked about how at least they'd always remember each other... ] Lolo might do it, though. I loved Popka, however. n__n;
i cast fira

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I love F/SN, but alas, I do not have the the required system.... Oh well.

I'd like to pick up PPVirus eventually too, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2