• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-05-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:26 am Reply with quote
don't mess this one up...

take a cold shower!!

do some pushups!!

but do NOT scream like a schizophrenic zombie!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
It's a trap kevin, run!

No real otaku chicks like that exist. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote
Kevin, you fool! You're supposed to react that way internally! Internally, I say! Internalize it!

But...the way he reacted externally made this particular strip pretty damn hilarious! Laughing

Oh, and as for the remarks about Gundam and women...what the heck is that all about? I think that women who like science fiction would like any Gundam, especially science fiction that has something to say about war. I mean, that's the main reason I enjoy watching the various Gundam series--they have very interesting ways of talking about war and humanity's future through the lense of sci-fi. Plus, I like the cool mecha. But liking Gundam because of bishonen...? Way to judge female fans. True, 00 is one of my favorites, but that's got nothing to do with character designs. I liked SEED, too, but I wasn't always too into those character designs. I like the original Gundam and G Gundam. Gundam 0080 was really good and I'll always remember it, but I don't think I can watch it again because the ending made me deeply sad. As for Macross, I've only been able to see Macross Plus, but based on how much I enjoyed that, I'd watch more Macross given the opportunity. So, there! Razz
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 am Reply with quote
Control yourself Kevin!

You keep effervescing like that and you'll burn up on re-entry!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
Well, the estimated percentage of females watching Gundam Wing when it was airing on Toonami was around 40%. This is a title which sported frequent instances of reused animation, atrociously wooden dialogue, hours of pointless philosophising, laughable plot, and numerous shallow stalemates between rivals. You can't tell me that, by and large, all those female fans weren't watching for the bishounen. Especially since Gundam Wing was the first title in the franchise to sport numerous bishounen, which ties in nicely to the greater-than-normal interest from female fans.

So while you are a welcome exception, generally speaking people are fairly correct when they say that females do not get into the franchise (especially the older titles).

By the way, Gundam, for all of its moralising about how bad war is, doesn't seem to care that it actually glorifies combat. Oh, and the technology is bad; for example, O'Neil cylinders (Island Three) were designed to come in pairs, not standalones as so frequently shown. Just saying.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quote
Kevin, poor Kevin to nervous to even talk to the waitress. But, those facial expressions make me laugh.
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
KEVIN, pull yourself together!! You are our only hope!!

One small step for man, one giant leap for humankind!!
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, the estimated percentage of females watching Gundam Wing when it was airing on Toonami was around 40%. This is a title which sported frequent instances of reused animation, atrociously wooden dialogue, hours of pointless philosophising, laughable plot, and numerous shallow stalemates between rivals. You can't tell me that, by and large, all those female fans weren't watching for the bishounen.

Sorry, but uh... what were the guys watching for then?
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
My Admiral-Akbar senses are tingling. Her lack of reaction to his freak-out fills me with dread for Kevin. Like she's a set-up for some kind of Candid Camera prank.

And yet, I cannot look away. What terrible end awaits our young protagonist?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Kevin seems to have struck the gold here.

His reaction was damn priceless!

Indeed, any woman that wouldn't freak out by Kevin's reaction is a keeper. I really do hope this work's out though, Kevin deserves happiness.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Are female Gundam fans really all that rare? I mean, I haven't really been able to get into some of the more recent stuff, but I used to love G Gundam while it was showing on TV. (Yes, in all its BURNING CAMPY GLORY~)

Also, would her being a fujoshi really be such a make-or-break point? I mean, we're not a different species or anything, guys. We have other interests and things we could potentially have in common. ^^;;
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm a MALE Gundam fan, and my favorites are Wing, SEED, and 00. They are so much more accessible for new fans, and even if the plot drags in parts (Wing, I'm looking at you), they are really good with the dramatic tension. The UC stuff is just so inaccessible for people that started a few years ago. I know I'll probably get flamed for saying that, but whatever.

As for the comic, go Kevin!
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Cyborg?
It was all an elaborate "I Can Hear The Bells" fantasy of Kevin?
She's a man?
Virtual Reality?

Gaaaah!!!!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Well, the estimated percentage of females watching Gundam Wing when it was airing on Toonami was around 40%. This is a title which sported frequent instances of reused animation, atrociously wooden dialogue, hours of pointless philosophising, laughable plot, and numerous shallow stalemates between rivals. You can't tell me that, by and large, all those female fans weren't watching for the bishounen.

Sorry, but uh... what were the guys watching for then?

Giant robots blowing shit up. Hell, that's why I still watch Gundam, because they can do it best and the robot designs have a certain elegant yet deadly look to them, probably because they're based off samurai. Like when a robot is a Gundam, you damn well know it's a Gundam.

neocloud9 wrote:
Are female Gundam fans really all that rare? I mean, I haven't really been able to get into some of the more recent stuff, but I used to love G Gundam while it was showing on TV. (Yes, in all its BURNING CAMPY GLORY~)

Female Gundam fans aren't rare for the newer stuff because it's made to attract them with the groups of pretty men. Where it's rare is for the stuff from the 80's, mostly UC stuff, or possibly Turn A or X.

[quote="BleuVII"]You know, I'm a MALE Gundam fan, and my favorites are Wing, SEED, and 00. They are so much more accessible for new fans, and even if the plot drags in parts (Wing, I'm looking at you), they are really good with the dramatic tension. The UC stuff is just so inaccessible for people that started a few years ago. I know I'll probably get flamed for saying that, but whatever.

Yeah, it probably is inaccessible because the way to get into UC is to see all of 0079 or possibly just the movie compilations. If you don't watch that first, then you cannot continue as nothing will make sense. I guess that's the part that might make it hard for some people, since the show is pretty dated and a lot of newer fans just can't get over the idea of watching something older than Eva. The movie compilations are a much better way to get the good backstory on the rest of UC without having to invest 43 episodes, but they lack the pretty decent dub the show got.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Female Gundam fans aren't rare for the newer stuff because it's made to attract them with the groups of pretty men. Where it's rare is for the stuff from the 80's, mostly UC stuff, or possibly Turn A or X.

Wouldn't fans - in general, regardless of gender - of those older series be more rare anyway, due to their inaccessibility? I mean, Turn A and After War X haven't even been released over here yet...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8