• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-05-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
HJSoulma wrote:
...why does no one think that there are normal, well-adjusted female anime fans? I mean, in my case I go through life with 90% of the people around me not even knowing I like anime until like... they come to visit and notice all the DVDs.
<__<
Maybe I'm the strange one?

Honestly, I've been wondering that myself. Almost everyone expects a bad ending, when Megan is probably a normal anime female fan? I thought I'd never say this but, not every female anime fan is crazy or has a dark past.

It's not like this is the economy, the worst case scenario may or may not happen. I don't know about anyone else, but I hope this work's out for Kevin.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
HJSoulma wrote:
...why does no one think that there are normal, well-adjusted female anime fans? I mean, in my case I go through life with 90% of the people around me not even knowing I like anime until like... they come to visit and notice all the DVDs.
<__<

Here here, HJSoulma. I'd like to make a call out for nerdy guys on the internet to stop proclaiming that nerdy girls do not exist. Everywhere from anime forums to MMORPGs, to computer engineering classrooms, guys are always telling us we're not here. Maybe in some of your individual experiences you have not personally seen many girls in the nerd area of your choice, but we are here, and it gets pretty old being told over and over again that we're some rare mythical creature.

...although now that I think about it, maybe what many people really mean to say is "nerdy girls who are really hot and completely into me and everything I love do not exist."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. No-one's really denying that the number of "nerdy" girls is vastly superseded by the number of "nerdy" guys. Which means that we nerdy guys face huge competition. Also, guys are more likely to be more extreme nerds than most females, further exacerbating the problem.

So yes, nerdy girls do exist, but their numbers are fewer and so they can be more picky about whom they want to date. Whereas for many nerdy guys just getting a date in the first place is a triumph (as seen by Kevin's behaviour).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Exactly. No-one's really denying that the number of "nerdy" girls is vastly superseded by the number of "nerdy" guys. Which means that we nerdy guys face huge competition. Also, guys are more likely to be more extreme nerds than most females, further exacerbating the problem.

To be honest, I don't think this is the case.

Anime fandom seems to be split pretty evenly based on my experience. Go to a LARP, or any renaissance fair, or an anime convention, or San Diego Comic-con, or a nerd-targeted movie opening of almost any stripe, and you're going to see the male/female ratio split basically down the middle (depending on the event - like a Harry Potter book/movie launch - there'll be a lot more women than men).

Hell, the last nerd event I went to where it was obviously more dudes than chicks was a Wizard World in Long Beach like 4 years ago.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Hell, the last nerd event I went to where it was obviously more dudes than chicks was a Wizard World in Long Beach like 4 years ago.

Obviously you've haven't been to a major gaming-focused convention recently, then. Although the female presence has gradually increased over the years, in most gaming events outside of LARPs the guys still vastly outnumber the girls at these 'cons. (I've been involved in RPG tables that were half or more female gamers, but that is definitely not the norm.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
HJSoulma wrote:
<__<

Here here, HJSoulma. I'd like to make a call out for nerdy guys on the internet to stop proclaiming that nerdy girls do not exist. Everywhere from anime forums to MMORPGs, to computer engineering classrooms, guys are always telling us we're not here. Maybe in some of your individual experiences you have not personally seen many girls in the nerd area of your choice, but we are here, and it gets pretty old being told over and over again that we're some rare mythical creature.

...although now that I think about it, maybe what many people really mean to say is "nerdy girls who are really hot and completely into me and everything I love do not exist."

It's so true. It's either denial of existence or blatant sexual harassment-- for example, I've worked at a Gamestop before, and half the guys that come in ignore me and assume the dudes that work there know more about games than I do (they don't) and the other half ask me to do things like go get stuff on the top shelves when I'm wearing a skirt. u___u

Perhaps its a mixture of fear of rejection (I don't know any geek guys who know how to make the first move) and the terrible way our society tells its men that "nice guys finish last:" they assume that since they're not Gossip-Girl-style jerks then any nice, normal girl who likes them must be hiding some sort of terrible secret.

Basically, I think a really good way to tell if a geek of either sex is essentially a normal person is to see if they can talk about anything other than the fandom-- yes there are crazy fujoshi who can't talk about anything other than sweaty man love, but then again, there are also yaoi fans (like myself) who can interact just as well with a fan of cooking or painting or death metal music as they can with another anime/game fan.

Yes, this comic arc will *probably* end badly, but that's because happy endings aren't good comedy, not because female anime fans don't exist/are all crazy/won't ever talk to you about anything other than how much they love Sephiroth's butt. Many of them are even attractive! ~___~
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
This is just a generalization, and I mean no offense to anyone in spite of the backlash I will receive, but I tend to notice that nerds/geeks/etc aren't always the most genetically beautiful of the homo sapiens sapiens, or at least as how we tend to define beauty in western and modern terms. There's also the problem of low self-esteem on both sides and usually social awkwardness. My thoughts are just opinions and things I've gatherd myself in no scientific way, but I've also noticed most nerds/geeks have had family troubles and are not part of the upper-middle or upper classes, usually it's the far opposite.

Why is that? Sure everyone has the ability to make themselves look better, but it's only to a certain degree before going under the knife is part of it.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
haha poor kevin, struck dumb because he found the perfect woman for him !
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably be the same way if I should so ever encounter such an...encounter. Mostly because I have absolutely nothing interesting to talk about.

It's not about self-esteem for me; I'm very confident that I'm a boring person to talk to. And, you're right walwetc., I belong to the lower-middle class. And it's hard to find someone in this same city with the same tastes as myself. Mostly because my tastes are fairly broad and none too specific.

The ADD probably comes in play at times too.
Kiriska

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I love this strip. XD
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
c'mon people we are talking about a walking bundle of cliches that is a manga character... We all know RL people who prove the cliches wrong, as well as some who prove them right. I don't think the percentages that are good example homo sapien sapien are any different than for non - geek. You should try people watching at comicon sometime versus what you see at the airport or Target. The male/feamle percentages ARE different, true.

But. Anyone who follows stroytelling knows that the potential for a fall is great, and usually when there is no angst between a main character and a love interest it can get boring... I mean just think how amusing it would be if this was all shiney the way it looks to be and it was Kev's BRAIN that had him thinkin' "naw this is too good to be true" after he comes down from cloud 9.

Heh, It would be amusing after this conversation if Megan was the normal girl, just so Robin could keep us guessing. Funny if Kevin falls in with a wise woman who knows how to calm him down Very Happy
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, maybe we're coming at this wrong- maybe the comedy will not be in Kevin's downfall, but in Nina/Paola's reaction to his success:

"You'll never believe it! I met this great girl!"
"Oh, the one with the yaoi paddle? Wink "
"NO! Her name's Megan and she even loves old-school Gundam!"
"Yeah, right- and we hate Kimidori Story."

Of course, every time Kevin bring her by to introduce her, she comically dissappears first, leading Nina and Paola to believe Kevin is hallucinating and try to medicate him... with more hilarious results!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
My Admiral-Akbar senses are tingling. Her lack of reaction to his freak-out fills me with dread for Kevin. Like she's a set-up for some kind of Candid Camera prank.

And yet, I cannot look away. What terrible end awaits our young protagonist?

Yeah, that non-reaction has me even more worried of his fate now. I will amend my prior prediction to say not just underage, but that she already knows him and is a neighbor or anime-club member from home, which he does not recognize outside of the normal circumstances.
HJSoulma wrote:
<__<

Because, she is a collector, and collectors do not come in flavors like "sane."
gaius

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope Megan becomes a regular or even semi-regular character. If you look at Penny Arcade's Gabe and Tycho, they each have girlfriends (or are they their wives now?) that show up once in a great while and play the "straight man" role. Some of the characters in Rooster Teeth's comics also have wives that show up at times. The characters in Penny Arcade's and Rooster Teeth's comics are loosely based on the comic's creators, but I still feel Megan would be a great addition to Anime News Nina.
danielmer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
something does not seem right, 1) it's a trap, 2) she's into girls, 3)she already has someone, or 4) it was all a dream
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8