• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tensai Okamura/Okamoto

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neilworms

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:27 am Reply with quote
Yet another instance of confused names, I think that the Japanese are to blame this time for mistranslating this guy's name in Memories. In the second short of memories this guy is listed in romanji as Tensai Okamoto, but in Newtype USA's preview of Wolf's rain its listed as Tensai Okamura.

I looked at the official webpage for Wolfs Rain, noted the directors name in kanji (²¬Â¼Å·ºØ) and typed it into google and I ended up with a jmdb entry that had him listed as a director of Memories (Stink Bomb). I think that based upon this information the correct name should be Tensai Okamura. For anybody who actually knows the Kanji, could they tell me if my assumptions are correct??? If they are the two names should be merged into one entry.
Neilworms

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:56 am Reply with quote
I went to the productionig forums and asked Yoshiki Sakurai what he knew about it, and he said that Tensai Okamura is the guy who did Stink Bomb, and that this is the same guy who directed wolfs rain, so you need to change the entry for Stink Bomb so that it reads Tensai Okamura.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the research.

BTW, it wasn't spelled as Okamoto but rather Tensai Okamuro. A very small mispronunciation, you'll agree. And it's suprisingly common on the internet. Even on IMDb the director of Stink Bomb is listed as Tensai Okamuro! What I found more annoying is that we had him also listed as director of Canon Fodder... grrr...

Anyway, I've merged Tensai Okamuro into Tensai Okamura.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
AND RISE!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

[/necromancy]

It seems that in addition to the mispronunciation, he originally went by a different name (1991 was the change year). It's noted on his page as his birth name, Yutaka Okamura 岡村豊. However, there is also a page for Yutaka Okamura. According to Japanese Wikipedia, all the roles currently in our Yutaka Okamura entry, with the exception of those below, belong to our Tensei entry.

(1988) Spirit Warrior (OAV) : Key Animation (Madhouse; ep 1)
(1988) Bride of Deimos (OAV) : Key Animation [But 岡村豊 is credited with key animation here]
(1991) Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (OAV) : Key Animation (eps 2, 5) [But 岡村豊 is credited with key animation here]

It should also be noted that where the given sources contain kanji readings, 岡村豊 is the kanji name given for all the tasks in Yutaka Okamura's credit list.

Stardust Memory and Totoro both have the guy credited under both names for the same task (Totoro has a task translation issue though).

So I'll leave it up to the editors whether you want to merge these people and verify which name he was credited under or manually move all the wikipedia sourced credits and leave the three stragglers so some future Yutaka Okamura can have his page, or some third option.

And I am looking at a screen grab of Blazing Transfer Student that credits 岡村豊, so I'll need to put that somewhere once it's been decided.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1