• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Plan for FFXIII Blu-ray Disc Demo Except in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
BRD529 wrote:

Also, for those of you who haven't heard, the Japanese version of Advent Children does not include English subtitles, but does includes the full American dub. I thought that was weird, but whatever...

Even though I love my anime and RPGs, Japanese business men make me angry! How fair is it that they get a dual-language FFX/FFX-2/KH/KH2/etc (that is, I think KH/2 were too as final mixes) and we get: ____________ oh right, one language. L2market! Even if IN extremely limited quantities. Although, I still heard from an owner of the demo disk that it was only in Japanese (unless they couldn`t read Japanese to find the option ._.)

I predict that the blu ray sales will NOT be as good as expected due to that. HOW many people will really pick it up a 2nd or even 3rd time? Still, it will be eons before XIII hits shelves... Square just LOVES to make people wait, dont they? Remember the Advent Children delays? Yeah those were fun times too...
BRD529

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
^^^ The movie has the option for English dub, but the demo is strictly Japanese. Hope that clears it up. Smile
hikura

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes Sony and Square-Enix are working on a PS3 bundle. I've been holding out on this console for quite some time, and this game is definitely going to push me to finally get it.

I'd love that, but I refuse to buy any PS3 that's not backwards compatible. I have way too many PS2 games I'd like to keep and play, and upscaling the graphics would be nice and I'd prefer to have as little consoles kicking around as possible. So, Sony, hint, hint for the next bundle.
As for the actual news, I am a bit irked that we won't be seeing the demo in the States, but if it's available via (free) download I won't complain. If not, then damn you M$! Of course, the very thought of FF being on Xbox irritates me...

You can easily download a software program that is free that can be gotten on the ps3 storefront to make it backwards compatibility with ps1 and ps2 games.That is of course if you do not have the one that has it built in(that is a hardware not a software program).
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Now, not only will the PS3 full game be delayed thanks to their wanting to have a simultaneous release on both systems (how this will help sales is beyond me, they release games on the 360 a year or more before the PS3 all the time, hypocrisy much?), but they also won't be giving us the demo (translated or not, people still would have played it), and they're saying we might get a downloadable demo? Yeah, not until a 360 one is available at the same time. Way to continue completely screwing over your established fanbase, who've been waiting forever for this.
Sigh...fanboys.

Because the PS3 and 360 never ever get demos independently of one another. Wait, Marvel and Capcom 2 just got a PSN demo without getting an XBL one at the same time, you say? Balderdash! And even if they don't release FFXIII demos for the two systems separately (which, admittedly, they probably will not), the fact is the game isn't coming out in the US anytime soon no matter what, even if it was PS3 exclusive here. Why would you release a demo that requires wasting money printing countless discs (not to mention all the costs of doing an additional localization for the demo prior to doing the localization for the game itself) a good 18 months ahead of the game's release? All to sell a hard copy demo to an extremely limited audience in the US? It would just be a moronic business decision. And one that has absolutely nothing to do with whether it is PS3 exclusive or not.

And how exactly will releasing the game on more systems than just the one with the smallest userbase NOT help sales for the main game? Because it will make you cranky for a while? As if we didn't have to wait 8 months to get FF XII in the US after Japan. Or 8 months to get FF VIII. Or 9 months to get FF VII. Or half a year to get FFX. Or over a year and a half to get FF XI. OH TEH NOES, THE LONG WAIT WILL SURELY B BECUZ M$ IS MEANS AND S-E IS TOO DUMBS TO START 360 DEVELOPMENT BEFORE THEY FINISH THE PS3 GAME.

Please.

What happened to being happy that games you were excited about and wanted to do well could be played by the largest possible audience?
Proman

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I don't know if I would consider "FF7: Advent Children" to be anime. Call me old fashioned.

And I certainly would not consider information about "FFXIII Blu-ray Disc Demo" to be anime news Wink .
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Screw the technicalities and just release it already. I want to play the demo!

This is slightly OT but it was brought up....KH 2 Final Mix has a dub? Even on the scenes not in the regular version? Will it play on any
PS2? If it does i'll buy it right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
DFBTG wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes Sony and Square-Enix are working on a PS3 bundle. I've been holding out on this console for quite some time, and this game is definitely going to push me to finally get it.

I'd love that, but I refuse to buy any PS3 that's not backwards compatible. I have way too many PS2 games I'd like to keep and play, and upscaling the graphics would be nice and I'd prefer to have as little consoles kicking around as possible. So, Sony, hint, hint for the next bundle.
As for the actual news, I am a bit irked that we won't be seeing the demo in the States, but if it's available via (free) download I won't complain. If not, then damn you M$! Of course, the very thought of FF being on Xbox irritates me...

You can easily download a software program that is free that can be gotten on the ps3 storefront to make it backwards compatibility with ps1 and ps2 games.That is of course if you do not have the one that has it built in(that is a hardware not a software program).

I have heard nothing of the like, and as far as I know, very few people have. So forgive my skepticism, but I would very much like to see a link to this download (and testimony, if you will, that it actually works). Now I know the first 80 gig was software based, but it still had some PS2 components that the 40, new 80, and 160 gig lack, which is why they aren't backwards compatible. BTW, I did search the PS store, and found nothing of the like.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
This is slightly OT but it was brought up....KH 2 Final Mix has a dub? Even on the scenes not in the regular version? Will it play on any
PS2? If it does i'll buy it right now.

You might be getting confused with Re: Chain of Memories. KH2 Final Mix was never released in English and never will be to my knowledge, just like Final Mix 1.

Also, since PS2 is region locked, unless you modded your PS2 in some shape or form, it will not play it unless an official version was released in where you live.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, KH2:FM has the original version's English dub, which means new scenes are in Japanese only, and no English text.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
So, at first I'm like "What? C'mon guys." but after reading their reasoning about the dual console release, and the mention of possible downloadable demos (probably closer to the american release date) I understand where they're coming from. As long as we still get the anime short about Denzel I'm fine (Though any other bonuses they want to throw in as some manner of compensation is cool too Wink
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks. Though I was really hoping they'd release the demo disc in America, I knew deep down the chances were highly unlikeable. Oh well, guess I'll just keep an eye out on the Playstation Store for a downloadable version! Though honestly, I still intend to re-buy Advent Children anyway. Cool
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken... or just making this up. Whichever it is, it would have been blasted across the Internet on all the gaming sites and posted on the PlayStation software updates page for the PS3.

The only way to get better than 90% compatibility on the PS3 was to put PS2 components into it. The only PS3 production models that had the full hardware compatibility (95%+) for PS2 were the 20GB and 60GB models sold in North America and Japan. Other regions were always limited to software/GPU emulation on the 20GB and 60GB models while they were in production. Later, the first versions of the Limited Edition 80GB models had reduced compatibility (80% compatibility at best; basically, only a GPU plus a 20+GB secured emulation program on the HD) and even that was dropped. Compatibility for PS2 was dropped from the PS3 due to production price issues (cheaper to drop compatibility to reduce production costs) and the fact that the PS2 and PS2 games are still selling decently. After all, Sony really wants to sell PS3 games FOR the PS3 and NOT have a bunch of PS3 owners buying cheaper PS2 games.

For those of us who import games, the backward compatibility is a non-issue... PS2 J-games WON'T play on an American PS3 simply because DVD region-lock is still in place for DVDs and the reverse is also true. It just makes more sense to keep a modded PS2 to play Japanese PS2 games or get a Japanese PS2 at this point in time. Backward compatibility for alternate region games isn't happening on the PS3 at any rate. Who wants to brick a $400+ system when cheaper modding alternatives and cheaper foreign systems are available?

There is no way unless there's a programming breakthrough that later models of the PS3 will be backwards compatible with the PS2. Right now, software emulation for PS2 is considered too difficult for the PS3 since the PS3 itself isn't fully understood by most developers and the system may not have full resources (although I find that doubtful) to do it. I chalk it up to technological complexity and basically too different a hardware architecture between the two console generations as being the valid excuses for why PS2 software emulation isn't happening. Don't expect PS2 compatibility on next-gen consoles to come back until the PS4 shows up in about 3-4 years...
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Sigh...fanboys.

Yeah... that's it... Rolling Eyes

MetatronM wrote:
Because the PS3 and 360 never ever get demos independently of one another. Wait, Marvel and Capcom 2 just got a PSN demo without getting an XBL one at the same time, you say? Balderdash! And even if they don't release FFXIII demos for the two systems separately (which, admittedly, they probably will not), the fact is the game isn't coming out in the US anytime soon no matter what, even if it was PS3 exclusive here.

Thanks for giving one example. Not asking for more, but in my experience, big games (like FF XIII) that are multi-platform get demos on both systems, if at all. Meaning any possible demo would be delayed until they could program a working 360 demo.

MetatronM wrote:
Why would you release a demo that requires wasting money printing countless discs (not to mention all the costs of doing an additional localization for the demo prior to doing the localization for the game itself) a good 18 months ahead of the game's release? All to sell a hard copy demo to an extremely limited audience in the US? It would just be a moronic business decision. And one that has absolutely nothing to do with whether it is PS3 exclusive or not.

My 'flimsy' reasoning was that they already had the English dub of AC on the Japanese release, so what reason would they have for delaying a US release, especially if they just released it at the same price? Also, since they're supposedly releasing the game in Japan this year, it would be stupid to assume they haven't already started localizing the game, since that's done by S-E USA. Why do you think the turnaround times have been dropping with the more recent entries, as you pointed out (with the exception of XII)? They know it'll sell, so they're working on it as they go, since the USA branch doesn't exactly work on the Japanese release. So it was entirely possible that they have the ability to put together a localized demo, they just chose not to, since it would apparently slightly alienate the gamer market that was included as an afterthought less than a year ago. Also, iirc, we got a demo of FFX in disc format before it was released, so it's not like there was no precedent.

MetatronM wrote:
And how exactly will releasing the game on more systems than just the one with the smallest userbase NOT help sales for the main game? Because it will make you cranky for a while?

I never said not to release it on more than one system. In fact, I think it's great that they're releasing it on the 360 as well. What bugs me is that they're planning on delaying the US PS3 release until the 360 version is ready as well, even if it is finished being localized before it is finished being ported.

MetatronM wrote:
As if we didn't have to wait 8 months to get FF XII in the US after Japan. Or 8 months to get FF VIII. Or 9 months to get FF VII. Or half a year to get FFX. Or over a year and a half to get FF XI. OH TEH NOES, THE LONG WAIT WILL SURELY B BECUZ M$ IS MEANS AND S-E IS TOO DUMBS TO START 360 DEVELOPMENT BEFORE THEY FINISH THE PS3 GAME.

Please.

Case in point. http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168704
They specifically said that after they finish it for Japan, they'll begin porting it to the 360. This would then indicate that we get to wait for them to figure out how to get a game built for the PS3's cell processor to work on the 360's cpu. This game wasn't simply 'made' as multi-platform, it's being ported to a lower-spec system after the fact. This is what bugs me. Release it for the PS3, then release the 360 version whenever it's ready. Why make those of us with the initially intended system wait, when we're buying it either way?

MetatronM wrote:
What happened to being happy that games you were excited about and wanted to do well could be played by the largest possible audience?

I'd love it if as many people as possible could play it, but forcing a whole segment of gamers to wait, unnecessarily I might add, until it's ready for a competing market, is a stupid business move. Because you know, releasing them at the same time means more people will buy it, whereas, if the PS3 version is released first, all those poor 360 owners won't buy it when it's finally released for them, because their feelings will be hurt from being left out. *takes a long look at Enchanted Arms, Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia...*
Worst-case scenario, more people would buy PS3s because they want to play it now, and Microsoft wouldn't want that, now would they? Wink
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:

You're probably thinking of the file you have to download if you want to play PS2 games that require the harddrive. There is no such file that opens up backwards compatibility.

And all PS3's play PS1 games using the same emulation.
hikura

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
hikura wrote:

You're probably thinking of the file you have to download if you want to play PS2 games that require the harddrive. There is no such file that opens up backwards compatibility.

And all PS3's play PS1 games using the same emulation.

You are correct.I was poking around and just found that out.I apologize for the error on my side.It is that simple.i was wrong.
I got my PS3 when it first came out(the 80 gig version) and all the games that i have(my total games that are non ps3 ones exceed 120) all work fine on my system.
My point about about the american release of this item is that you should look into getting it from japan.The PS3 system will run blue ray discs that are from japan and then you will have the demo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3