• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Precure Actress Responds to Report Tying Alleged Kidnapper to Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I haven't quite see anything Precure but was something like this a plot in an episode? Obviously I'm not saying their connected because I'm not an idiot, but usually the media tries to find a vaguely similar story and tie it to a crime.

Like they'll say "He hit his victim with pink heart-shaped glass, just like in the Sailor Moon anime"
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I haven't quite see anything Precure but was something like this a plot in an episode? Obviously I'm not saying their connected because I'm not an idiot, but usually the media tries to find a vaguely similar story and tie it to a crime.

Like they'll say "He hit his victim with pink heart-shaped glass, just like in the Sailor Moon anime"

No. They're saying he's a pedophile because he watches a show aimed at little girls.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

No. They're saying he's a pedophile because he watches a show aimed at little girls.

I see, gotcha. That makes sense... in the witch-hunting sort of way.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Some of you guys using the word otaku as an auto negative connotations are seriously misled. Ton of psychopaths and criminals come from all profile. No demographic is totally excluded. So there are a few sickos and seriously misguided people. Considering the same millions of otaku in Japan are not on a rampage.

Blame the individual, not spout ignorant one liner and make the situation worse.
Flower Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Flower Metal wrote:
I Love Magical Girls and I don't give a damn.

What I mean is, I love Moe characters with all my heart, and i know that "normal people" are going to judge me and discriminate me, it dosen't matter too much if "normal people" disapproves my passion for Moe characters.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
....There's not millions of Otaku in the first place. There's like around 100'000 of them, most in the Tokyo area.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Flower Metal wrote:
Flower Metal wrote:
I Love Magical Girls and I don't give a damn.

What I mean is, I love Moe characters with all my heart, and i know that "normal people" are going to judge me and discriminate me, it dosen't matter too much if "normal people" disapproves my passion for Moe characters.

Then please be careful when you say something that people will make you think you sympathize with criminal, saying "I love Magical Girls and I don't give a damn" in an article involving a kidnapper is going to make you look heartless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Then please be careful when you say something that people will make you think you sympathize with criminal, saying "I love Magical Girls and I don't give a damn" in an article involving a kidnapper is going to make you look heartless.

Please be careful when you discourage logical thinking.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote
The guy's a Darwinian candidate anyways:

HIROSHIMA — Police said Wednesday they have arrested a 20-year-old university student for allegedly kidnapping a 12-year-old elementary school girl in Hiroshima on Tuesday night.

Police said the suspect, identified as Tomohiro Kodama from Setagaya in Tokyo, is accused of forcing the girl to get into a large travel bag at knifepoint and then placing it in the trunk of a taxi. The girl had been waiting for her mother to pick her up at Nishi-Hiroshima Station after attending cram school.

According to police, Kodama asked the taxi driver to help him put the bag in the trunk at about 8:50 p.m. Tuesday and then drive to Hiroshima Station. The driver was quoted by NHK as saying he felt something warm and soft. He drove along for about four kilometers and could hear cries coming from the trunk. When he asked Kodama if there was a dog in the bag, Kodama said nothing. When they stopped at a traffic light, Kodama asked to get out.

However, the driver restrained him and asked a passerby to call police. Then he and the passerby opened the bag and found the girl, unharmed.

Kodama, who belongs to a martial arts club at his university, has confessed to kidnapping and confining the girl. He was quoted by police as saying he did not know her and that he had planned to take her back to a hotel near Hiroshima Station, where he was staying.

Japan's general cult of youth sexualization predicament.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
....There's not millions of Otaku in the first place. There's like around 100'000 of them, most in the Tokyo area.

That can be debatable considering millions of people do tune in for certain shows. That said, most probably wouldn't go public with their hobby anyway. Just isn't kosher in Japan to begin with, to the extent many otakus may not be as shy about broadcasting their love of the medium.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
Let's not get in an arguement as to how many otaku there are in Japan. Even if there were only 1000, or 100 of them, the actions of one person do not reflect on the others unless they actively participate or endorse his crime.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Typical hikikomori.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
If it was, Japan would've burned to the ground by now.
Flower Metal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I am in favor of Anime including Ecchi, Harem, Lolicon, Loli-Gore, Hentai & Ero-Guro.

I don't care if "normal people" believe that anime is immoral.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Typical hikikomori.

A hikikomori is someone who is a University Student? Huh!

Are or you saying he was obviously a hikikomori because he watched a magical girl series. Again it makes no sense.

Lets stop generalizing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3