• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
creative storage ideas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow as promised

Deep Manga Storage:

Manga boxes on shelves

Comic Boxes on shelves

Paper Boxes on shelves

Manga box full

Paper box half full

Paper box full

Manga staged to be put away

Displayed manga

I did these as links because it is a lot of pictures. If anyone can explain how to turn them into thumbnails let me know. Smile

Last edited by Alan45 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45
OMFG, you have the one volume of What's Michael? I don't have! If you ever see a duplicate of Living Together (v2), pm me!!

Ahem, yes, I was also noticing the sticky notes, and man, do they make life so much easier. I use sticky notes for my double deep shelves to tell me what's on the back row (I go from left to right so I can usually approximate where it is)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I got What's Michael the easy way. I preordered them from the local comic shop as Dark Horse solicited them in Previews. I got a 30% discount too. Laughing
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
^might be the easy way then, but I wasn't into manga at the time they started coming out. I didn't even know of Michael until vol 10, and I've backtracked to get most of them...but vol 2...and a couple of my volumes are ex-library. I also think that if I had the Eclipse vol 1, that would give me all the stories too (I ordered a v2 online, it ended up being Eclipse, and they had a different page count, so there were only like 3 new stories), but it's hard to tell if it's the right one, ugh. So I'm looking for either Eclipse 1 or Dark Horse 2, but I love kittehs! And Michael! And I managed to get all the Super Manga Blast that had the rest of Club 9! So I even managed to finish that series in a roundabout way!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
@ classicalzawa
I blind bought my first anime at a comic shop in August 1997. When I went back for more I saw they had manga. It was all down hill from there.

I didn't know Eclipse did Michael. I do have some of their floppies but I'd have to look to remember what. Did they do Appleseed?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm itching for the day when I can afford my own place, so I can just make a whole freakin' library room devoted to all my media. It's definitely outgrown my bedroom. I need a better job for that though unfortunately. Crying or Very sad
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I went wandering at a couple stores to look at shelving and I did see and consider the shelves you mainly use. I hadn't actually done the measuring though, so nothing concrete has been decided.

Of course, my entire apartment is probably smaller than your storage space, so I have to think more compactly. And my entire comic and manga collection could possibly fit on one of your shelves.
Give me another decade or so Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, my entire apartment is probably smaller than your storage space

You would be surprised. Yes we do have a large storage room, but my wife got there first and about 3/4 of it is dolls. I have one alcove about 9' by 6' with 7 shelf units. Three for US comics and graphic novels in short boxes (the 18" long ones), three for manga in the manga and paper boxes and one for manga in comic book format in short boxes. The other area (the one labled paper boxes) is about 15 feet long but only about 4 1/2 wide. It holds 6 shelf units and the area opposit the shelves is piled high with boxes of figures and a few foot lockers of stuff.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, that would still take up my bedroom- 8'x10' Smile

I may just go the Teriyaki Terrier route and build the shelving I need.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I did these as links because it is a lot of pictures. If anyone can explain how to turn them into thumbnails let me know. Smile

Yup, it's not terribly difficult. Photobucket even has a shortcut option, although it doesn't do it the way I'd like. Their thumbnail code, which you can enable by clicking that gear looking icon on the Links box by your pictures. Their code,
Code:
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v405/sailor_sexy/?action=view&current=128555907916.jpg][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/sailor_sexy/th_128555907916.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
will put a thumbnail on there, but the thumbnail will just open up to the picture page, not the whole picture itself. That might not make much sense the way I said it, but I don't really know how to describe it. Here is the example

Now, the method I prefer is to change their code a little so the thumbnail opens up to the full picture. I do so by basically just using the IMG code twice. It's the same theory as when you have text become a link to a webpage. You just use the code as such
Code:
[URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/sailor_sexy/128555907916.jpg][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/sailor_sexy/th_128555907916.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
That gives you the following effect.

If you clicked on both links, I'm sure you can see the difference. I don't know if that helped you or just confused you more. It takes a little getting used to, but I don't think it's too difficult to use.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
@ Sailor S

Thanks, I printed out your reply and I'll play with it when I get a chance. Probably over in the subscriber forum.

I ran into that business of the page vs. the picture when I first posted the links. I found that when you mouse over the photo in Photobucket that you get a variety of options, I kept trying till I got what I wanted.

I knew it could be done but I don't have any experience with programming.
Altacia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Your Manga collection is amazing but, I couldn't help but see what's off to the side of this picture...

Are those Barbies? X_x How many are there?

There're toys in the background too! That area is like a dream toy store.. Anime catgrin
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
Yes they are Barbie dolls. My wife has been collecting them since the late 80's. What you see there is the tip of the iceberg. How many, I dunno, we quit counting years ago. Thousands most likely. She currently collects Integrity dolls as well.

We also have a large collection of Teddy Bears, plush cats and a few baby dolls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2