• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isshoni Training Anime Planned, Written, Funded by 1 Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
vtnwesley wrote:
We have all these Wii health games now, most of which are fairly ugly on the eyes. I've been thinking for a long time now it'd be interesting to have a exercise/aerobics game that is visually appealing (less pervy Dead or Alive-esque visuals), yet actually intended to be a serious workout program.

You mean something like Yourself Fitness, which was actually released several years ago for PS2, Xbox (original, NOT the 360) and PCs. This fgame featured a virtual personal trainer named Maya, so one could suppose this game is easier on the eyes than most Wii fitness titles, and I'm surprised this hasn't been ported over to the Wii (not the most groundbreaking graphics, as the systems for which it was made clearly indicate, so this wouldn't be a chore). But its intention was clearly not the fanservice fest that this anime is.

Yeah, actually exactly like that. It was fairly robust and at least TRIED. From what I understand the 3-D models still looked a tad off, but nothing as awful as some of what we see now. Games like Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009 and Gold's Gym Cardio Workout are steps backwards from Yourself Fitness, which is a disappointment.

The way I see it, with proper production value, a legit workout program, and maybe a LITTLE fan service you'd basically have something people would want to come back to. Maybe even target it toward gamers and anime fans. Throw in some gamer/anime fan service (in the non-sexual sense). Make a few jokes, give me a little jazz about skipping too many days in a row, add some personality. Is it too much to ask? Basically give me a reason that this is better than a workout DVD or the gym. And don't make it a minigame collection. -_-

I think the only thing I liked about Isshoni Training aside from the obvious... ahem... is the part where spoiler[the girl pokes the screen and claims you, the viewer, are getting fat. That was cute and funny. That gag would easily work in a more legit context.] Just being safe in case anyone doesn't want me ruining the riveting plot.
nagato316

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Japan has work out videos like this, we have Richard Simmons. No wonder we're the most overweight country!

Also, as far as I know, you'll never--EVAR!--see anyone Stateside produce a "dance-along" OP or ED sequence for anything, animated or otherwise. How sneaky of KyoAni to give us cardiovascular benefits while watching Lucky Star or Haruhi! Wink

Okay, granted those sequences, and arguably the ED of Cat's Eye, are the only examples I can think of, but you can't deny that they can burn some serious calories...
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll give him props for pulling it off, but this is just like chucking chum into shark infested waters, you know otaku are going to bite on a anime of a bishoujo in excersize gear and shown in excersices that can be use to maximize fanservice...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
loplop

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
This guy deserves every Yen he'll get from this. I'm still LOL from the whole premise, but he's laughing all the way to the bank.

I wouldn't be surprised now to see someone try to get a R1 license for it. I could see someone like Media Blasters doing it . . . .
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I have seen this OVA/OAV. A reason why it has sold a fairly modest amount of DVDs is because they have a hot 16-year-old girl exercising with copious amounts of fanservice as she exercises.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I have seen this OVA/OAV. A reason why it has sold a fairly modest amount of DVDs is because they have a hot 16-year-old girl exercising with copious amounts of fanservice as she exercises.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2