• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Macross DYRL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
I think I first heard of Minmay and the Macross franchise from this conversation:

Evangelion ReDeath wrote:
Ritsuko Akagai: Kaji, how could you?
Misato Katsuragi: What the hell are you talking about? He's my boyfriend.
R: Says you, woman.
M: Bitch.
R: Slut.
M: Skank.
R: Tramp.
M: Whore.
R: Minmay!
M: You take that back!

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I for one have two DVDrips, one from BG/Bakawolf for a reduced grain/cleaned up, and one from Live-eviL for grain retention. They're both worth keeping. My friend also got an older subtitled fansub from with like 10 minutes of notes before the movies start. That's worth keeping just for the nostalgia, and to remind us how much more technology has gotten better.
Forget those, I'm getting the old 100% hardsubbed NLA release Evil or Very Mad But your friend must've had a different version, as I didn't see any notes at the beginning. From the first half hour, I can definitely see all the work and attention to detail that went into the movie. But as others have said, it certainly does feel like being dropped into the middle of something without any explanation on who these characters are or what they're trying to accomplish.

Still, I'd been wanting to check out DYRL for awhile, as I'd heard of its fame and importance that extended far beyond the Macross franchise.
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
mou hitori~ bocchi janai~ honestly...that song is so addictive it should be banned.

I didn't have high hopes that this will turn up in Buried Treasure since it has quite a link with Robotech (and Justin said he was avoiding those) but I am glad to see it here~

Watched the fansub not long ago and loved it, including the way the love triangle played out, though my younger siblings seems to feel otherwise spoiler[(they support HikaruxMinmay)]

I feel that the greatest thing about the Macross franchise, especially when compared with gundam is the way new technological inventions permeates all aspects of life and not just the military. The hologram clothes shop Hikaru and Minmay visited was a good example of that.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
Macross: DYRL is truly a classic. Back in the day I did buy a copy of
Macross: Clash of the Bionoids thru mail order. I paid around 35.00 for it too with P&H.

At that time(early 1990's) the only way to see it uncut unless you were lucky enough to get a bootleg version of the fully dubbed version on vhs or even the special import laserdisc release(there was one that was rare that had both dub and japanese audio track).

I gave my tape to my lil brother-in-law, he still owns it today.

There was a uncut version of Macross: Do You Remember Love released in 1996 from Best Film and Video here in the USA, but due to all the commotion over copyrights with Harmony Gold it did not stay on the shelf long and is now out of print. Very rare and hard to find.

I have a fan subbed version of the film burned to dvd-r.

Here is Clash of the bionoids on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Macross-Clash-Bionoids-Mari-Iijima/dp/B00000F4U0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VHS-Clash-Of-The-Bionoids-1984-Rare-Anmie_W0QQitemZ390027810196QQcmdZViewItemQQ_pidZ3103717QQ_mediaitemZ1QQptZVHS?hash=item5acf781594

Uncut english dub version on vhs at Amazon(UK release):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macross-Clash-Bionoids-Mari-Iijima/dp/B000056Y2L/ref=sr_1_7/278-4850173-9876450?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1241776396&sr=1-7

I also own the cd-r of the tv and movie bgm (back ground Music) that was released back in the late 80's early 90's. Also own the artbook This Is Animation from (reprinted in late 90's), Entertainment Bible #27 Macross Mechanical art ( I heard it was out of print) and the Original Illustration :This is Animation Macross Charater Art Portfolio( which had 10 pictures of charater related artwork).

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
I won't lie. I have never seen this movie.

So, the question becomes this. Have I still not seen mecha even though I have seen every Gundam series from UC0079-Wing (in Japanese)?

I'll try to get around to watching this movie sometime...
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
I watched Robotech every day when I was young. I saw the VHS of Clash of the Bionoids on a store shelve one day and made my mom buy it. Even with the bad dub I was hooked! It spawned a fascination in me that has not subsided to this day.

The movie is truly spectacular, with the mix of music and space battles I instantly fell in love. Just like the song "American Pie" I believe that some day music will save my mortal soul. And maybe from a space alien or two! Very Happy

Music is truly one of the most underrated aspects of human society. The emotions it can trigger range from sadness and despair to love and comfort. Also music is very mathmatical as are stars and atoms. Who is to say that music does not transcend some spacial barrier and truly connect one soul to another?

I watch this movie at least twice a year. The music is on my iPod and is in my top 25 all the time. Thank you Shoji Kawamori for showing us your vision.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
It's a shame these are one of those shows that get stuck in that legal morass that we occasionally see from time to time. Recently I got all the way through the original Macross series (remastered version from AD Vision), and whenever the animation quality bugged me a little, it was usually quickly overtaken by the storyline. Now reading this Buried Treasure article, I really would like to see DYRL. I guess one can only hope for the future.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
This film is truly the gem of my Japanese LD collection. The price was right and even compared to DVD versions I have seen, the quality is just absolutely fantastic. So, so much better than that old grainy fansub tape I nearly wore out.

therealssjlink wrote:
I won't lie. I have never seen this movie.

So, the question becomes this. Have I still not seen mecha even though I have seen every Gundam series from UC0079-Wing (in Japanese)?

I'll try to get around to watching this movie sometime...

As someone who's seen what you have and a little more (and considers themselves a 'real robot' fan), the impact of Macross: Do You Remember Love? is quite a bit different than the first half of the Gundam franchise. Gundam has an appeal to people into science-fiction, politics and an engaging story that reaches throughout the solar system; DYRL has realistic robots combined with dramatic space-opera, do-or-die action that reaches into the depths of your emotional fabric, yanks them and begins to shake them violently.

Gundam represented the changing of a genre - cartoons that feature robots and the heroes who pilot them - while DYRL represents the change of a generation.

Macross, the TV series, was one of the first commercial productions from creators who were themselves a part of that growing otaku generation and this film was made to directly appeal to them. But despite its appeal for a niche audience, it touches on so many basic human emotions and experiences, that even someone who hates science fiction can ignore the giant aliens and spoiler[radiated Earth] and still enjoy the move.

The final battle with Iijima Mari singing Oboeteimasuka still sends shivers down my spine, no matter how many times I've seen it. The only musical experience that I could say has rivaled it was being in the audience when she sang it live and by the end, I was bawling like a schoolgirl.

Out of all of the anime I've seen and all of the Japanese music I've heard, no matter how jaded and cynical I get about fandom, I'll always come back to this movie.

Cloe wrote:
Talk about an article that pulls at the heart strings. I was singing "Do You Remember Love?" in the shower last night, no joke. Oboete imasu ka...

Marry me? Wink
Raja

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote
I've become so much of a Macross fanatic that I picked up a copy of the 2012 Flashback DVD just for the footage of the SDF 2 taking off...

Which version of Ai-Oboeteimasuka (the song) do you prefer? Although the original is near and dear to my heart, one of the versions from the Macross F soundtrack is growing on me too -- the ~bless the little queen~ version.

(I've got four different versions in my collection at the moment -- the original soundtrack version, the piano & vocals only version from MARI IIJIMA sings LYNN MINMAY disc, and the two from Frontier.)
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
I wasnt even born when this came out. I do recall watching a bit of robotech, it was my first anime and I think I was less then 10 at the time (I had a life size barbie same size as me) but it was the singing and beautiful colors that grabbed though I was to young to get a thing that was going on.

need to find and download
frodonk

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
I think I've seen the TV series of this when I was very, very young, and the only thing i can remember about it was that it was a giant floating spaceship, and that somewhere in the middle of the series they were able to recreate that blue sky with clouds effect on the ceiling of the spaceship, making the place look more like earth.

this that right?
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
CK: I'm quite vocal in my proclamations that Shoji Kawamori's lost it. But the phrase "lost it" implies he "had it" at some point, and DYRL is from that time.

Excellent work as usual, Justin. As I noted in my own rather lengthy discourse of DYRL from two years ago (gah, two years ago I was at Show 50 and now I'm only almost at 80, talk about decreased output), Macross: DYRL is the answer I give to people with the question "what was so special about the 1980s for anime, anyway?" More than any other work, DYRL embodies the unique spirit of those times. They couldn't possibly make such a movie now, nor could they prior. The visuals, the audio, and especially the storyline are all unapologetically "the 80s," and regardless of whether you think it's for the better or worse, anime in an overall sense--creatively, financially, you name it--is in a very different place now than it was back then.

The concluding statement of this column, "unless you have seen Macross: Do You Remember Love?, you have simply not seen mecha anime" is not necessarily incorrect as Macross is one of the cornerstones of mecha anime. But I'll take it a step further because in all honesty, most current anime fans don't care a lick about mecha anime anyway. Forget robots or how this fits into Macross continuity (short answer: it's considered a movie that the characters themselves could have gone and seen) because none of that matters. Not having seen DYRL given all that it represents--a strong given as newer fans may not necessarily know of its importance because nobody ever told them, thus making them exempt--is something that'd be interpreted by me as "you must not really care about that era of anime, which in conjunction with the previous era is the foundation for American anime fandom." DYRL is part of why if you were to put out the question "what to you was the Golden Age of anime?" a whole lot of people would say "the 80s."

And personally speaking, if you've been an anime fan for say, over 5 years, and never watched this movie or tracked it down (despite its legal status, acquiring fan copies of this has been easily do-able for at least 15 years), that tells me that you CHOSE to not do that. There's really no "eh, I was meaning to see it but never got around to watching it" for this one, because that'd be like a self-proclaimed film buff meaning to get around to seeing something like...I don't know, Citizen Kane but not doing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll have to consider seeing this one at some point. And a bad dub huh? Haha, what else is new? The 80s weren't the best times for voice acting Anime hyper
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm an officer in a university anime club and my job is to usually pick what we watch each week. We usually only sample fansubs of new shows or older unlicensed shows to avoid any legal problems with airing things that are licensed here. I did play all of Macross Zero this spring to fill time because of a lack of decent/new stuff to play, and I was thinking if I should play DYRL or not. I decided it'd be a fine idea even if they hadn't seen Macross or Robotech yet, if only just for the high production values and general awesomeness. I think it's a part of the whole "We want to show them stuff that's older than they are/Eva can still be amazing/probably better than stuff now", goes along with having shown Harlock, GE999, Rose of Versailles, Ideon, LoGH, and Dominion Tank Police But due to lower attendance as the year drags on, I've decided to hold off playing it until the fall, when I can get a packed room again.

I won't tell them the year of creation, and I think I'll use the cleaned up fansub version. I'll let them guess when it was made.
abynormal

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
CK: I'm quite vocal in my proclamations that Shoji Kawamori's lost it. But the phrase "lost it" implies he "had it" at some point, and DYRL is from that time.

Shoji Kawamori has always had a few screws loose. If you've seen the end of Macross Frontier, that's how he originally wanted the love triangle in SDF Macross to end! He also wanted Misa to be the captain. The only reason he didn't get his way on those points is because he wasn't the lead director at the time.

The man's a good director and unparalleled mecha designer, but his writing comes and goes.

That said, DYRL is a masterpiece. I wish more anime could really put you on the edge of your seat like DYRL can.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Let people find streams or downloads themselves; even though fansub releases are being discussed in this thread, linking is still not allowed.~Zalis]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7