• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-05-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
for the record, i think Bill Tylta's best work is a toss up between Fantasia's "Night on Bald Mountian" sequence and his work on Dumbo. Funny story, Grim "Betty Boop'" Natwick himself cites that when Bill was animating Dumbo he took much inspiration from his own son and was running around the studio telling (mostly single) animators the joys of having a kid.

eitherway, im gonna say "Bald Mountian" is his most technically proficient work while Dumbo is his most cute and beautiful.

Also Milt Kahn drew the one of the best Mickeys, Freddie Moore aside.

nerding out over. please return to your anime stations.

fawhooosh!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
On awkward lipsynch: I definitely think that Japanese dub generally seems more awkward with the lipsynch than the English, although it varies from show to show. The thing is, in Japan they don't really seem to care too much about whether it fits or not, as long as it's kinda-sorta right and you get a good performance out of it. Sometimes it's really sort of jarring--I noticed in episode 4 of FMA: Brotherhood that at one point Maria Ross walked into the room and her lip started to flap a second or so before her voice was actually heard. I started to laugh and completely missed what she was actually saying because of it.

That being said, I think sometimes English dubs (and American viewers in general) worry a little too MUCH about how good the lips match up with the dialogue. That's when you get really...awkward pauses when...the lips stop for a moment in the...middle of a sentence. Normally those pauses worked just fine in Japanese, but in the dub they just sound weird.

(Also, random fact: I remember reading that the reason we record dialogue before the animation is done in the US is because of Popeye. Popeye was animated before the dialogue was recorded, and the animators did a poor job with the lip flaps and the actors had to constantly adlib dialogue to make it look right. Eventually they complained loudly enough to the studio that they decided to start recording the dialogue first and base the lip flaps on the recordings...and well, that was that. I wish I could remember where I read that, though...)

Quote:
Do english voice actors even watch the original version? Seems like they have only watched tom and jerry or pinky and the brain; and mimic the voices of those characters into everything they do.

I know I'm commenting on something much earlier in the thread, but (1) ...yeah, you definitely aren't watching the right dubs--there's more to dubs than the stuff you see aired on TV, and (2) are you implying that the voice actors for Pinky and the Brain aren't awesome? Because I will throw down the gauntlet at LEAST on Rob Paulsen's behalf.

Now BRB, I gotta go see if I can track down those books on cartoons and find Anipage Daily... Very Happy [/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
Also, Kurumada Masami: I'm down with people liking Saint Seiya and I've heard nothing but good things about Ring ni Kakero but am I the only person who thinks that B'tX was developed by a re-re?

I wrote the piece about Masami Kurumada. All I'll say is that while B't X is certainly not one of Kurumada's best works, as it does pale when compared to Seiya and RinKake, it is still a really fun show and manga. B't X was pretty much Kurumada wanting to do a story involving robots/mechs, and I think he did well... Not amazingly done, but well.

Now if only TokyoPop will release the last volume... It's all they have left to do, afterall.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
for the record, i think Bill Tylta's best work is a toss up between Fantasia's "Night on Bald Mountian" sequence and his work on Dumbo. Funny story, Grim "Betty Boop'" Natwick himself cites that when Bill was animating Dumbo he took much inspiration from his own son and was running around the studio telling (mostly single) animators the joys of having a kid.

eitherway, im gonna say "Bald Mountian" is his most technically proficient work while Dumbo is his most cute and beautiful.

Also Milt Kahn drew the one of the best Mickeys, Freddie Moore aside.

nerding out over. please return to your anime stations.

fawhooosh!

i would probably kill a man to see Tytla's original drawings for the Chernobog, before they got cleaned up and inked - according to the other artists in the studio they were "awe-inspiring."

also your comics are way cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Im looking for work. I applied for the flash banner thing but they didn't like me. if the site needs (another) cartoonist im available.

also bill tytla was amazing. im also a big fan of bob clampett and his troope. rob scribner, bob mckimson, ect. alot of modern cartoonists too, my current favorite's name escapes me but he did all the character designs on the spectacular spiderman. i found his blog and i love it. im trying to track down how much he did on the show.

fawhoooosh!

[/quote]
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Flaed wrote:
I would be pretty happy if clean versions of some visual novels came over, though I would sort of prefer them for the PC (as I do not actually own any video game systems and thus could not play them) - thoroughly enjoyed the Clannad anime and I'd like to try playing some of the (already clean) Key works like Little Busters! and Planetarian.

Also, Princess Maker is something I would really love to play. . . . I think there actually was a botched attempt at bringing that one over, though.

There was certainly an attempt to bring Princess Maker 2 over; and the story of how it ended up failing is almost enough to put anyone off wanting to localise Japanese games: http://www.softegg.com/products/pm2/pm2.html
Vatina

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:27 am Reply with quote
Although I admit that it probably is very hard to succeed with a business based on visual novels, I would definitely love it if they made it. Getting the games on my PSP wouldn't hurt either.

I find it sad that the only VN's released here since Hirameki's shutdown are hentai :/ Alternatives would be much appreciated.

Sometimes I hear that the only reason the current VN publishers in english can survive, is that they sell other things as well, and not only VNs - maybe this would be something to consider.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Flaed wrote:
I would be pretty happy if clean versions of some visual novels came over, though I would sort of prefer them for the PC (as I do not actually own any video game systems and thus could not play them) - thoroughly enjoyed the Clannad anime and I'd like to try playing some of the (already clean) Key works like Little Busters! and Planetarian.

Also, Princess Maker is something I would really love to play. . . . I think there actually was a botched attempt at bringing that one over, though.

There was certainly an attempt to bring Princess Maker 2 over; and the story of how it ended up failing is almost enough to put anyone off wanting to localise Japanese games: http://www.softegg.com/products/pm2/pm2.html

Thankfully, in this age of the internet and decent programming practices, none of the mistakes from Princess Maker 2's failure really apply anymore. Well, except for the big one: licensing a game before you have a place to sell it.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
I third the Hitman Reborn Series. What was it? 7 Volumes and 40 some episodes before it became what it is now? Saw the opening for the second season which got me into the series in the first place and for the most part as I watched the series I was like... what?

I also have to disagree with the remarks on the first episode on Cross Game. I went from the anime to the manga and felt they did a great job on highlighting key specifics on the characters even if they condensed an entire volume into 1 episode. Aoba's dislike of Ko, Wakaba and Ko's relationship and connect, how important Wakaba was to the both of them and why she would be important to other characters in the series were very well defined. I think reserving some of the smaller character develop points from the first volume for more character specific episodes works much better cinematicly and is easier on the audience to follow who are not familiar with the manga while deliverly a strong first episode. Also it doesn't already force a flashback of the first episode in the second episode or first few episodes Neutral . Making it a more thoughtful flashback of the character, which the manga does more and more later on, rather then a flashback for the sake of the audience who may have already forgotten about that little moment. Plus flashbacks of past episodes come off as lazy and gives off a different impression then the flashback that is actually new material.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

I freakin' love anipages daily! but even with all my self-ascribed knowledge of cartoons, they are... scarily well-informed.

May I ask in what way? Folks over there tend to dig deeper into one subject, which is animation art. That's all it is.
scarletrhodelia

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm Cynthia, who loves her some David Matranga Anime smile + sweatdrop

CCSYueh wrote:
If Cynthia listened to the commentary on the Saiyuki Requiem movie, then she'd know Mr. Matranga skipped out to New York to make his name so, per the director, had Geneon not stolen the Saiyuki franchise, ADV had planned to replace him. The movie was his last hurrah at ADV for a time.

Thanks for the update. I haven't picked up Requiem yet; it's on the anime-to-get list. I had heard that ADV flew Matranga from NY for the making of Requiem, which is unusual. It's good to know that he wouldn't have been on Reload and Gunlock anyway, so I can stop crying about the cast change. I got to meet Greg Ayres at a convention, and he said that the Japanese cast, aside from the four principals, was also changed for Reload and Gunlock -- Kougaiji, Yaone, etc.

CCSYueh wrote:
Quote:
I certainly don't think those lousy harem shows are worth producing, but they DO sell, so what do I know?

Put one of my favorite VA's (say Koyasu, Hayami, or Hoshi) & I'll probably go for it because, depending on the size of the harem, it probably means the VA I want to hear will get 1/7th of the time(dependant on the number of guys in the harem) vs Koyasu's wonderful, though not near enough time in Ouran Host. The villain/rival role (Okiayu in Haruka) also possibly means a sizable role (though there's always Hayami's Aizen. Wonderful when on screen, but not enough).

I'd only watched Bleach in English, but happened to see a crack AMV using Japanese audio. On hearing Aizen, and there was no mistaking my favorite perverted doctor, Muraki from Yami no Matsuei. I watch most shows in both English and Japanese, and enjoy something in each, but Yami no Matsuei is one series I will watch only in Japanese, and that's mostly for Hayami Sho.

corinthian wrote:
I would urge you (and the David Mantraga fan in the article) to watch Le Chevalier D'Eon. That is one of the best English dubbed shows I have ever seen. (And frankly, Japanese language and honorifics seem horribly out of place in 18th century France.)

Thanks for the suggestion -- it's also on my anime-to-get list, which is larger than my available funds.

Taiyz wrote:
I've actually got a reply to Cynthia's final comment regarding Dante in Devil May Cry.

Ever since DMC3, the game that really kick-started the series' rise to fame after DMC2 totally flopped, Reuben Langdon's been voicing (and doing the mo-cap) for Dante. In my mind, at least, and hopefully in many others' minds (it is a popular series, so I doubt the fanbase is filled with as many voice actor-philes such as myself) Reuben MADE Dante the smartass bastard he is. [edit]
If you haven't experienced DMC3 and 4 and are just walking into Devil May Cry's anime with no prior knowledge of the series, I can understand why you might think he doesn't fit the character; the anime's characterization of Dante isn't really similar to either 3 or 4's evolution of the character, but I guarantee that if you're familiar with the character on those two counts, you wouldn't be able to imagine anyone else delivering those lines.

I actually thought Reuben Langdon did a good job. I just kind of pulled that out of my, uh, hat as an example of a good role for Matranga, given his experience as the badass priest Sanzo. It was a treat to me to hear Illich Guardiola (Gojyo, Saiyuki) and Jason Douglas (Homura, Saiyuki) together in the same episode. I thought it was funny that Guardiola again played a half-human, half-demon, like his Saiyuki character.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I know I'm commenting on something much earlier in the thread, but (1) ...yeah, you definitely aren't watching the right dubs--there's more to dubs than the stuff you see aired on TV, and (2) are you implying that the voice actors for Pinky and the Brain aren't awesome? Because I will throw down the gauntlet at LEAST on Rob Paulsen's behalf.

Yay for Ron Paulsen! He did the voice for my favorite character in Baldur's Gate 2, Anomen, the annoying cleric. Aristocratic, arrogant Anomen couldn't have been more different from Pinky.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5