• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Official Synopsis for Spike Lee's Oldboy Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Now granted, Hollywood hasn't exactly inspired a lot of.....faith in their adaptations. Hello Dragonball movie. Still can't get that burning sensation out of my head. I think part of the problem though is these adaptations don't get the.....full effort I suppose of Hollywood. I always feel like they're only putting in 1/2 or 2/3 of the effort they could to make the adaptation work.

You've just pretty much answered the question as to why people automatically bemoan Hollywood adaptations without even knowing it. You didn't need the other stuff thrown in.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote
I don't think Speed Racer was bad at all. It was a live action film played as the cartoon it was based on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I don't think Speed Racer was bad at all. It was a live action film played as the cartoon it was based on.

I think it didn't catch the who camp of the original, bad dubbing and all.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Can we start blocking "oh no another American remake of something foreign" comments already; we were spammed with those to death the first few threads on this topic. Everyone understands that its only the Americans who make remakes, and they are always bad.

Sarcasm aside, like it has already been pointed out Oldboy the film was a Korean adaption of a Japanese work. On top of that, it was not a very good movie anyway, Ill give it the twist ending but the rest of the movie did not particularly catch my interest.

And since someone brought up Departed, well how about the Chinese remake of What Women Want, really? Thats the movie you chose to remake.

Exactly, not only that, take note that when ANN report on Hollywood or non-Asian live-action adaptation of anime/manga, it'll always get a lot of hate and message saying "it'll suck" (the same thing for when US remake Asian films), but when it's Asia and Japan do live-action anime/manga I never seen people criticize it (only a few would criticize it). When ANN reported on Unforgiven will be getting a Japanese remake, I don't see any negative post about how Japan will wreck it, or "it's going to stink" or "it's going to fail". No our remake haters stay silent on the Japanese remake of Unforgiven, it's like our haters is giving Japan a free pass from criticism. That's why I find it disturbing, people attack Hollywood for remaking Asian films but not the opposite.

That's because whenever there's talk about a Hollywood remake of anything Asian anymore all the Japanophile weaboos come out the woodworks to spew their hatorade. While there is some hate for the reverse you are right though that the amount of instant "it'll suck" predisposed hate is much greater to any Hollywood remake/adaptation of something. Now granted, Hollywood hasn't exactly inspired a lot of.....faith in their adaptations. Hello Dragonball movie. Still can't get that burning sensation out of my head. I think part of the problem though is these adaptations don't get the.....full effort I suppose of Hollywood. I always feel like they're only putting in 1/2 or 2/3 of the effort they could to make the adaptation work. For example, Speed Racer wasn't THAT bad. Anyone who says it was needs to remember the cheesiness of the original material and take it in context. Now if Hollywood had put some more real effort into the plot and characters it could have been a pretty good movie for mid aged kids. Which is pretty much the intended audience for that show. It was not as bad as the Dragonball movie. I agree the haters seem largely to be one sided but I don't see that changing until Hollywood gives us a REAL good live action adaptation first. Still, I chose to remain cautiously optimistic instead of just getting drunk on the hatorade. If you convince yourself that deeply it's going to suck before you even see the opening on the movie chances are it'll suck no matter what to you. You're simply setting the movie up to fail with that sort of attitude as you're going to nitpick every little thing.

Change Japanophile weaboo to Asian supremacist because it's not only American remake of Japanese film they go after, but American remake of South Korean and Chinese film are under flak from these haters. I do agree that when Hollywood adapt anime/manga into live-action it can be bad, but then again US is not the only one even Japan and Asia wreck anime/manga to live-action adaptation. Before DragonBall Evolution, Taiwan did a live-action Dragonball and it was just as horrible (or worse) then Dragonball Evolution. I remember South Korea did a live-action Dragonball also, I don't know how that went but from looking at the movie poster, I can tell it reek. I didn't like the live-action Negima Japan did because it didn't follow the story and 2 characters Negi and Evangeline should've been played by non-Asian actors and the acting just suck. Also how come nobody went after Taiwan, China, and South Korea when they make live-action anime/manga, nobody went after Taiwan when they make Boys Over Flower into live-action drama, the same thing goes for South Korea when they did their version of Boys over Flower.

I was disgusted when people go after Hollywood for doing remake of Asian films but not when Asia remake American films. As soon as mainstream entertainment news reported on Unforgiven getting a Japanese remake, I don't see any complaint at all or any complaint on the same level as when news of US remaking Asian films. When ANN reported on Unforgiven getting a Japanese remake, I expected some of our remake haters to be criticizing and bashing Japan for remaking a great American film like Unforgiven, but no I have not seen those people going after Japan for that. That's why I blame those pro-Asian hypocrites for inciting hate on Hollywood remake of Asian films. So I guess when Japan decide to remake The Godfather with Sonny Chiba as Vito Corleone, I guess nobody will complain or bitch about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear god, let's not go down this road again. Everyone in every country in every industry adapts, deal with it, we don't need to rehash this discussion yet again and derail yet another thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Seconded. Remakes are all over the map. Film is a canabalistic industry. This just happens to be in Japan's territory now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Thread derail aside, I really loved that movie. I just thought it was released at the worst time.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Thread derail aside, I really loved that movie. I just thought it was released at the worst time.

I don't think Speed Racer could've benefited from a live-action adaptation period. There are just some bits that can't be done IRL without it looking hokey.

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Oh dear god, let's not go down this road again. Everyone in every country in every industry adapts, deal with it, we don't need to rehash this discussion yet again and derail yet another thread.

YotaruVegeta wrote:
Seconded. Remakes are all over the map. Film is a canabalistic industry. This just happens to be in Japan's territory now.

My apologies, I have my right to be concern. I am just fed up with the pro-Asian hypocrisy/double standard within the anime/manga community and the same for foreign film fandom when it comes to remake and live-action anime/manga. To me, it's just unacceptable and not fair.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Yeah, the promoting of the film was done all wrong. It was a great summer movie I saw with my dad who adored it (he remembers the cartoon from when he was little, and I used to catch it on Saturday mornings on MTV). I happily own it on blu and it has been re-watched a number of times. Hopefully one day in the future it'll have a cult following of some sort because I feel it deserves it. Really on a visual level with what the directors were attempting it is an extremely unique film with tons of political anti-capitalistic undertones.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Hopefully one day in the future it'll have a cult following of some sort because I feel it deserves it.

The actor who played the main protagonist boy from A.i. made the exact same plea years ago and it still hasn't happened. Didn't help that movie was bad.
Granamonkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Granamonkey wrote:
This makes about as much sense as the American remake of Låt den Rätte Komma in (Let the Right One in). None. Why does Hollywood feel the need to take foreign films and redo them? Oh yeah, they want easy cash.

This is going to be a long rant and I have said this countless time when it comes to remake on another topic. I don't know why people are complaining about USA remaking foreign stuff since Asia and foreign countries do the same thing to American thing. Where is the complaint and criticism for foreign countries remaking American stuff? Jeez it seem like people are giving foreign countries free pass from criticism when they remake American stuff. It's unacceptable and I'm pissed that people that complain about US remaking Asian films are not going after Asia when they remake American films.

This article wasn't talking about an Asian remake of another film so I didn't see a need to bring it up. I dislike it when any country remakes a film of another country simply for the sake of localizing it. If they do something radically different and make a film "in the vein of" something else, perhaps I'll buy into it if it's a new director or film industry who's getting his or their feet wet.

Replace Hollywood with the director or studio's name that is remaking a film in another country - but in this instance it is most definitely Hollywood driven.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Granamonkey wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Granamonkey wrote:
This makes about as much sense as the American remake of Låt den Rätte Komma in (Let the Right One in). None. Why does Hollywood feel the need to take foreign films and redo them? Oh yeah, they want easy cash.

This is going to be a long rant and I have said this countless time when it comes to remake on another topic. I don't know why people are complaining about USA remaking foreign stuff since Asia and foreign countries do the same thing to American thing. Where is the complaint and criticism for foreign countries remaking American stuff? Jeez it seem like people are giving foreign countries free pass from criticism when they remake American stuff. It's unacceptable and I'm pissed that people that complain about US remaking Asian films are not going after Asia when they remake American films.

This article wasn't talking about an Asian remake of another film so I didn't see a need to bring it up. I dislike it when any country remakes a film of another country simply for the sake of localizing it. If they do something radically different and make a film "in the vein of" something else, perhaps I'll buy into it if it's a new director or film industry who's getting his or their feet wet.

Replace Hollywood with the director or studio's name that is remaking a film in another country - but in this instance it is most definitely Hollywood driven.

I don't care if this article wasn't talking about Asia remaking American film. I'm pissed that people would be one-sided and hypocritical on which country remake films. When USA remake Asian film, everybody get mad and curse Hollywood for doing it. Yet when it's Japan (or any part of Asia) remaking an American film, the haters stay silent (or sometime praise Asia for doing it and bash the original film). As soon as the annnoucement of Clint Eastwood's oscar winning film, Unforgiven is getting a Japanese remake and it was reported on mainstream entertainment news (ANN even reported on this), guess what nobody complain at all, I was expecting the same haters who bash Hollywood for remaking Asian films to be going after Japan also for remaking a great film like Unforgiven. As a matter of fact, after 2008, Asia has been remaking American films for quite a while, I'm shocked that these haters would give Asian filmmakers free passes when they remake American films. There was plenty of opportunity for our remake haters in US to go after Japan/Asia for doing the same thing to American films, but no, the haters just stood silent (some have praise Asia for doing this and even bash American movies)

I'm not against remake, but I'm pissed there's hypocrisy when it comes to which country remake foreign films. Tell you what, if South Korea remake The Notebook (let say Han Hyo-joo played Rachel McAdam's character, and Choi Siwon play as Ryan Gosling's character and the setting change from world war 2 to Korean war), I bet nobody will complain about it. I would say the same if Hong Kong decide to remake Die Hard (with Tony Leung or Chow Yun Fat as John McClane).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4