• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do Americans hate/dislike Hayao Miyazaki's movies?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
Most of this has been already said in the thread, but I'll reiterate the way I see it.

First, Miyazaki is one of the most well-known animation directors in the US, and his movies are widely appreciated, not the least because they are rather Disney-like in many regards, and for the most part are "safe" for younger children.

It does much better than any other anime. On the other hand, it's still regarded as anime, and anime will never make as much as a wide-audience movie in the US, because anime is considered "niche". It is only targeted at specific markets and is not advertized widely, neither is it regarded as socially acceptable to be watched by adults.

Second, it is a foreign film, and for whatever mysterious reason, the American populus tends to hate/disregard foreign movies in general. Not that they are not appreciated by some people, but it is yet another niche. The people who accept the pop culture would rather watch the shittiest American movie around before they decide to see a foreign film.

So, it is not widely accepted, it is not generally available, it is not well advertized, and it falls into several niche groups. Hope this answers your question as to why it doesn't make as much as crappy movies aimed at general audience in the US.

That said, I do not consider myself a Miyazaki lover, I give him respect for his work and influence, but do not consider his movies masterpieces in terms of content. Most of them are rather Disney-like and simplistic, and any message/argument he might have gets simplified to a bunch of no-brainer statements. The only movie I've seen to break out of that is Mononoke Hime (I have not seen some of his movies), which delivers a setting and a conflict much more mature than usual, and is worthy to be called an anime masterpiece. Then again, I'm not American, although I'm a bit americanized by now.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
I don`t know anyone from any country who dislikes a Hayao Miyazaki movie. The only one I have an issue with was directed by his son (Tales of Earthsea). The ratings here on ANN agree.

My primary gripes were:

spoiler[a) the most boring villain ever. Lord Cobb/Kumo seemed like a carbon copy of Orochimaru from Naruto. He`s after immortality! How original! Give me a break. No shades of grey whatsoever. Lady Eboshi from Princess Mononoke was much more interesting, and easier to sympathise with.

b) the whole concept of the "balance" of the world was given a cursory mention during the introduction and flippantly tossed aside thereafter.]

As for Laupta, Nausicaa, Spirited Away and Howl`s Moving Castle, however, I have no complaints, except for Nausicaa`s compression relative to the manga, although that is understandable. Smile
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I thought Earthsea was better than Howl (with its bitty plot and stupid ending), and pretty good for a first attempt however you look at it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
I don`t know anyone from any country who dislikes a Hayao Miyazaki movie. The only one I have an issue with was directed by his son (Tales of Earthsea). The ratings here on ANN agree.

My primary gripes were:

spoiler[a) the most boring villain ever. Lord Cobb/Kumo seemed like a carbon copy of Orochimaru from Naruto. He`s after immortality! How original! Give me a break. No shades of grey whatsoever. Lady Eboshi from Princess Mononoke was much more interesting, and easier to sympathise with.

b) the whole concept of the "balance" of the world was given a cursory mention during the introduction and flippantly tossed aside thereafter.]

As for Laupta, Nausicaa, Spirited Away and Howl`s Moving Castle, however, I have no complaints, except for Nausicaa`s compression relative to the manga, although that is understandable. :)

Look at this way spoiler[at least the villian wasn't trying to become the strongest or take the rare tresure from the group of hero's.]

Though I have actually enjoyed most of Hayao Miyazaki's movies, to the average american, they think its just for kids or its just another "silly cartoon". For Americans (despite the fact I am one), ignorance is a common trait, espeically with foreign flims.

I've noticed through out the years, the average american rather watch a ridicious drama/comedy ( for example: 27 dresses) than actually attempt to watch a foreign flim( such as Miyazaki's work).
animeboy12

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:

My primary gripes were:

As for Laupta, Nausicaa, Spirited Away and Howl`s Moving Castle, however, I have no complaints, except for Nausicaa`s compression relative to the manga, although that is understandable. Smile

Look at this way spoiler[at least the villian wasn't trying to become the strongest or take the rare tresure from the group of hero's.]

Though I have actually enjoyed most of Hayao Miyazaki's movies, to the average american, they think its just for kids or its just another "silly cartoon". For Americans (despite the fact I am one), ignorance is a common trait, espeically with foreign flims.

I've noticed through out the years, the average american rather watch a ridicious drama/comedy ( for example: 27 dresses) than actually attempt to watch a foreign flim( such as Miyazaki's work).

Again, I'm pretty sure it's the same in any country, unless there's a trendsetter people in ANY country stick to what they're familiar with. Trying to call a large group of people ignorant is just silly. Beside, I don't hear of Miyazaki's work doing well in other countries besides Japan.
Jhun Bug

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Since i'm only american by citizenship. To me? I like Miyazaki-san's anime movies. Especially those 3 (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle & Mononoke Hime). I have those 3 movies. The only thing i can think off why it didn't made as much profit as the domestic ones is how they advertise their movies. Yes, Spirited Away made 10 mil. Which goes to show that atleast they made the right move on advertising that one well. Anyway, it's not that Americans hate or dislike it, maybe it's because only a few knew about Miyazaki-san's achievements. If you want your movies to be popular or alteast well-known, it all comes down to advertising. As for me I like ANIME and that's my bottom line.

JHUN BUG
Smile
Miranox

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
I'd say that the main reason is marketing. The US has the strongest economy not only because of how much it produces, but also because it protects its own market by heavily taxing anything foreign and doing everything in their power to prevent it from becoming well known to the general population. Any foreign film is seen as a competitor and Hollywood is VERY good at eliminating competition. I live in Canada and I can't remember the last time I saw a foreign movie being shown at the local cinema. There may be other reasons, but the ones I've just listed are the main culprits of this injustice.

With the economic issues the US is having, Hollywood may lose some of its iron grip on the entertainment industry. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Some diversity would be nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4