• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most Visually Striking Anime Productions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarquon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the list, I always like reading 'The List' as much for the ideas and arguments it brings about. People really need to chill out a lil on the wholesale criticism, it's a top 8 list, its thought provoking and challenging to take up a subject so open to interpretation. Even more so to arbitrarily limit it to 8 choices when there will always be those who want it expanded to include all striking anime. I wanted to make sure I applaud the effort put into this column and the risk it takes to put your opinion out there.

...And I had a few comments of my own. It may be the standard rather than the deviation but I find many of the Studio Ghibli works to be visually striking to the point of instant recognition. I am also a tad suprised to see Makoto Shinkai not getting more of a notice in this list, while not surrealistic or as shocking as the others, I think that his works, such as 'Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho', are visually striking as well.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
[(Actually, the other place where the artistry stands out the most is in the subtle artistic variations amongst the episodes of the Endless Eight arc, which will never get that much credit because almost everyone abhors the arc.)

I remember Hope Chapman (aka JesuOtaku) commented on something like this a while back. Well, not exactly, but she touched on the subject. Basically, she said that the best way to watch Endless Eight was not to watch one whole episode after the other, like most people did, but instead to watch a single scene, and then immediately watch that scene again in all the other episodes. Doing so lets you notice the subtle differences in each loop more, and how they can contribute to making the atmosphere in the later loops progress and become far darker and more oppressive.

I have yet to see Endless Eight myself, but I intend to watch it that way when I do so.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
If I remember this correctly, it was Stream It Again Sam and the problem is that the title is controlled by the same company that controls Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Tokuma Shoten, which is very old-fashioned as has unrealistic, demanding expectations for licensing.

Yes, according to its Wikipedia article Coil was a co-production of Tokuma Shoten, NHK, and Bandai. Obviously their reluctance to license the show in R1 must mean no one has ever watched it in this region. Rolling Eyes
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
It's almost a decade-old and was never licensed for American release, but I gotta admit I'm a little sad to see no mention of Windy Tales (Fuujin Monogatari),

I enjoyed that one enough to import the R2 DVDs after it seemed that no US company was going to pick it up. It was a nice product from Production IG. Kenji Kawai did the music, Oshii looked over the crew's shoulders, and it looked beautifully different. Heck, it had flying cats! ANN's encyclopedia entry for Windy Tales

Nice reminder for me, I remember liking what I got to see of this.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I just want to add another vote of thanks for including Nakamura Kenji's Bakeneko and Mononoke on this list. I don't read this feature religiously, but I do not believe I have seen an unlicensed work appear on one of these lists before. I do hope that these shows would have been included even if Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales had never been licensed.

A few days ago I looked at the RightStuf page for Bakeneko and saw that TRSi still had about 200 copies available for sale at just $9, making it one of the best bargains in anime today. There were about twice that many copies left a couple years back. Perhaps the remaining copies will sell out now after appearing on the list.

I always have problems with lists that include both feature films and televised anime given how enormously different the budgets that producers and directors have to work with. I would have preferred to see this list limited to television series and have a separate list for movies. Since movies were included I must say I'm a bit surprised to see no mentions here of Summer Wars which intermixes quite conventional scenes of family life with the more hallucinogenic sequences that take place in the online world.

I can understand the reluctance to include Moribito on the list for the reasons Key mentions, but I would have to disagree. Right from the opening it was obvious that this show would be one of the most beautifully animated television series ever. Especially striking are all the animations that involve water, from the glistening rice paddies in the opening to the clarity of the pools later on. Given the centrality of water to the overall story, and to the Asian empires Moribito depicts, Kamiyama and his team obviously took special care to illustrate those scenes.

Noein is another mixed bag. I found the 3D effects jarring, particularly the rotating house which appears much too often in the series. On the other hand the scenes where the other universes impinge on our own are often brilliant. Some people complain about the lack of animation consistency in this show, but that was inevitable given the collaborative manner in which it was produced. Noein used a collection of directors with Akane as the overall creative force. That method resulted in character models that often varied quite widely from episode to episode, from overly moe~ styles some weeks to rather ugly models with rectangular eyes in others. All these quibbles aside, Akane's decision to build an entire story around the controversial "many-worlds" interpretaion of quantum mechanics makes this an extraordinarily intriguing and intellectually challenging show. Noein has sold for as little as $20 at times, but even at its current price of $30, it is a show that any serious collector of anime should own. I cannot, however, recommend the dubbed version which is currently streamed on Hulu. It has some of the most appalling casting and direction I've heard. I switched once between the JP and EN tracks during a conversation between Haruka and Ai and could not listen for more than couple of minutes. The voicing of Uchida-sensei is painful as well.

Dennou Coil has also been mentioned and for good reason. While many of the episodes are quite conventional, the show has many remarkably original and unusual sequences. I like how Iso depicts obsolete space as overlays of large black pixels. He was also careful in his use of 3D objects like the Searchmaton; they blend naturally into the illustrations unlike Haruka's house. The scene where the Saatchis try to enter a shrine and are flattened as a result is an especially good example.

The fact that R1 licensors have ignored two of the most stunning and most original anime of the past decade, Dennou Coil and Mononoke, never ceases to amaze me. Now that both have been released on Blu-ray in Japan, perhaps someone like NISA will bring these gems to Western audiences.

Why is it that Akane Kazuki and Iso Mitsuo have dropped out of sight? I often wonder if we do not see shows by them any more because they got fed up with an industry that eschews original works like Noein and Dennou Coil in favor of adaptations of existing material. Nakamura has persisted, though, perhaps because he seems to be a favorite of the noitaminA producers.

Agreed, I'd definitely especially love to down Dennou Coil.

Yeah, some of these great directors have sadly been sitting out for quite some time. I'd love to see more from both of these.

But at least for the awesome Akane Kazuki, he's actually still been putting out good stuff as he relatively recently did do the excellent (and gorgeous visually) Birdy The Mighty: Decode, a great show. Though it looks like he's again in-between shows or something (hopefully).

Edit: Oops, actually it looks like he does have something coming up, looks like he's helming the upcoming Code Geass OVA series.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Alright, as moderately amusing as the recent rainfall discussion has been, let's stick to the topic from here on out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Message received loud and clear.
uguu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Wanpaku Ōji no Orochi Taiji/The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JEi-Zq21cQ#t=34m30s

"But that's not unique at all! Samurai Jack looked like this!"

Was Samurai Jack made in the 60s?
Vracer111

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
The list is of 8 visually striking anime productions, but it's missing a few titles that should be in the 8 MOST visually striking anime productions list...

The missing ones being Redline (...I'm trying to think of an anime I've seen with more visual presence than it and am coming up empty...), FLCL, and a work of Mamoru Hosoda (especially his latest, which I' can't wait to see) and Makoto Shinkai.

And then there are other titles that would fit in as honorable mentions like Akira, Casshern Sins, Die-Buster, Ergo Proxy, Jin-Roh, Origin: Spirits of the Past, and Pale Cocoon and others as mentioned in this thread.

As much as I like PMMM, it is much more of a series with visually striking sequences thrown in, the majority of the show is not much different from a regular "high quality series" visually when the girls are not battling witches...
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Vracer111 wrote:
As much as I like PMMM, it is much more of a series with visually striking sequences thrown in, the majority of the show is not much different from a regular "high quality series" visually when the girls are not battling witches...

Well, there was the school, Homura's apartment, Madoka's house, the city's skyline, stuff like that. Certainly wowed a lot of people.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Vracer111 wrote:

Well, there was the school, Homura's apartment, Madoka's house, the city's skyline, stuff like that. Certainly wowed a lot of people.

This discussion raises the question of what it means for an anime to be "visually striking." Can an anime qualify based solely on its overall design, like character models, backgrounds, and such, or does it require that the animation be unique in some manner? Both Madoka and Bakemonogatari have a style of illustration which I find unique, but their animation is often much more mundane. In fact, Shinbo's work is often quite static.

One of the things that makes Nakamura's Bakeneko especially distinctive to me is how he combines both remarkably beautiful and detailed backgrounds with rapidly-animated sequences like the Apothecary's use of o-fuda to build a barrier against the demon. Those scenes would be much less compelling if they just emphasized the background art and had relatively static characters and foregrounds.

Satelight's team of young French illustrators has created some remarkably lovely and detailed background art for its recent productions like Ikoku Meiro no Croisee and AKB0048. In that sense both shows are "visually distinctive," but in the case of the slice-of-life styled Croisee, there is very little "animation." AKB0048 has episodes with much more active animation, particularly the battle scenes between the idols and the DES troops. It also has a lot of routine episodes where the girls spend most of their time hanging out and talking. So while I admire the artwork in both shows quite a bit, I'd say that AKB0048 is the overall more visually compelling show because it has more animation. (I'm not nominating either of these shows as competitors to those previously discussed, but as examples to make my point.)

Last edited by yuna49 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
MistressLegato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Vracer111 wrote:
The list is of 8 visually striking anime productions, but it's missing a few titles that should be in the 8 MOST visually striking anime productions list...

The missing ones being Redline (...I'm trying to think of an anime I've seen with more visual presence than it and am coming up empty...), FLCL, and a work of Mamoru Hosoda (especially his latest, which I' can't wait to see) and Makoto Shinkai.

And then there are other titles that would fit in as honorable mentions like Akira, Casshern Sins, Die-Buster, Ergo Proxy, Jin-Roh, Origin: Spirits of the Past, and Pale Cocoon and others as mentioned in this thread.

I don't find Akira, Casshern Sins, or Origin to be that distinct, or unique at all. Akira was an action anime just like any other back in the day. I've actually never liked it. The story was stupid (IMHO) and the animation and character designs were ugly. The animation didn't wow me at all, even for it being old.

Casshern certainly had unique character illustrations, but again, the animation didn't strike me at all as something I hadn't seen before, or that went above and beyond.

Origin was pretty and fluid, but again, not really anything I found to be truly unique in any way at all.

FLCL for sure is worthy of being noted. It was insanely unique when it came out and seems to have influenced a lot of other series' since.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has really mentioned Panty and Stocking yet. Striking is definitely one word I'd use to describe the visuals in that, as they're so insanely bright and hyper and they're also quite unlike most other anime.
MistressLegato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I'm surprised no one has really mentioned Panty and Stocking yet. Striking is definitely one word I'd use to describe the visuals in that, as they're so insanely bright and hyper and they're also quite unlike most other anime.

It looks a lot like the PowerPuff Girls anime, so it isn't really very unique. The characters are unique, but nothing about the animation really seems to be, you know what I mean?

Just seems like everyone wants to complain about how "insert anime" didn't make it on the list, rather than talk about the things ON the list and why we may or may not find them striking. Ya know?

Every one of these articles is written by an individual, so we have to realize that it is, of course, attempting to be objective while inherently being subjective since it wasn't like the list was generated by a poll or anything.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
MistressLegato wrote:
Just seems like everyone wants to complain about how "insert anime" didn't make it on the list, rather than talk about the things ON the list and why we may or may not find them striking. Ya know?

Every one of these articles is written by an individual, so we have to realize that it is, of course, attempting to be objective while inherently being subjective since it wasn't like the list was generated by a poll or anything.

This is usually what happens with top 10 lists and such. All people want to talk about is how the list is wrong and how their favorite show is absent. It's unfortunate, but it's pretty much how these things always go on this site, or really any site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7