• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most Visually Striking Anime Productions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Oh, I see now. The list is comprised of abstract being visually striking, not the production. I say this because I've a tough time accepting how PMMM beats out Hanasaku Iroha for striking production.

Despite this, one thing's for sure: computers really did quite a bit for anime, haven't they? Imagine trying to do this list in a pure hand-crafted format only.
Twisted Evil
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Quote:
This is usually what happens with top 10 lists and such. All people want to talk about is how the list is wrong and how their favorite show is absent. It's unfortunate, but it's pretty much how these things always go on this site, or really any site.

I thought that the whole point of this list series was to promote that sort of discussion. That is agree, disagree, additions to the list etc. I just wish the posters were a bit nicer about how they expressed themselves.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Oh and let's let's not forget Nakamura's Catnapped. That was another that falls into the "CATA--gory" (get it? Yeah it's lame) of visually stunning. Also, there's his later production of 'Tree of Palme'. Which took several years. Surprise no one said Akira.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
MistressLegato wrote:
st_owly wrote:
I'm surprised no one has really mentioned Panty and Stocking yet. Striking is definitely one word I'd use to describe the visuals in that, as they're so insanely bright and hyper and they're also quite unlike most other anime.

It looks a lot like the PowerPuff Girls anime, so it isn't really very unique. The characters are unique, but nothing about the animation really seems to be, you know what I mean?

Powerpuff Girls =/= anime. I was meaning more it stands out from a lot of anime because it's very Western in style.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

Powerpuff Girls =/= anime. I was meaning more it stands out from a lot of anime because it's very Western in style.

I think MistressLegato was referring to 2005's Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z, which is indeed an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know that existed. My bad.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Saber of course. Loyal, strong, sexy.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
For a life-death situation, the bodyguard I'd want the most isn't on the list: Saeba Ryo (City Hunter). Survivor since plane wreck in South America when he was still a boy. The only thing he fears is Kaori's hammers Wink
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
wait, the list of potential bodyguards isn't complete without The Major, no? That'd be Motoko Kusanagi, who would always be a great bodyguard, assuming you were actually worth guarding...

Yea, I would have picked "The Major" from GITS too if she had been on the list. Since she's not I'll have to go with Balsa who's strong, smart and wont ever quit on ya.
MistressLegato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
st_owly wrote:

I think MistressLegato was referring to 2005's Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z, which is indeed an anime.

Haha! THAT one, yes! I'm sorry I wasn't more clear!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Oh, I see now. The list is comprised of abstract being visually striking, not the production. I say this because I've a tough time accepting how PMMM beats out Hanasaku Iroha for striking production.

Despite this, one thing's for sure: computers really did quite a bit for anime, haven't they? Imagine trying to do this list in a pure hand-crafted format only.
Twisted Evil

True. Still, after all these years western and eastern animation have yet to top The Thief and the Cobbler, a hand animated film from the 1960s-late 80s as the most visually striking animated film of all time. It's a true unheralded masterpiece that was horribly butchered by studios. Every fan of animation should see it at least once, and thankfully a fan group online is working to put together an unbutchered directors cut version called Recobbled.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Twisted Evil

True. Still, after all these years western and eastern animation have yet to top The Thief and the Cobbler, a hand animated film from the 1960s-late 80s as the most visually striking animated film of all time. It's a true unheralded masterpiece that was horribly butchered by studios. Every fan of animation should see it at least once, and thankfully a fan group online is working to put together an unbutchered directors cut version called Recobbled.

I didn't know this film had such a history! I saw it on VHS as a kid and barely remember it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ddoddka_10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
HElls yeah Paprika was awsome, one of my most favourite anime pieces there is... love it.

And who answered Kallen in this weeks poll?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:11 am Reply with quote
A person who mixes business with pleasure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7