• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV, Funimation Add New Anime Titles Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Dragonaut is what really got everyone's GONZO hate-boner going strong. There had been some of it before, like Witchblade being a pretty dumb show only salvageable because of the huge tits, but they just went overboard in Dragonaut. I think the only good that came out of it were pretty hot doujinshi featuring Garnet MacClaine.

I don't hate GONZO; far from it. But Dragonaut...

If it weren't so long, I'd tell you all to get it and watch the feel-good comedy of last year. That series was unintentionally hilarious! Laughing

I am definatly going to watch it for the unintentional comedy to see how it compares to the hilariousy awful Code Geass R2.

As for the doujinshi mentions, Dragonaut is a series that looks like it was made for Doujinshis.

As for the comparison to Witchblade, from what little I saw of Witchblade it's actually pretty good. The story is good, the characters are interesting, and the boobs are actually made fun of.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
Look like the PSN store is going to get more anime now from ADV, not only Funimation. Look like I'm going to enjoy this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
kefkaownsall wrote:
Tis a shame Funi isn't streaming Gankutsuou. I was assuming either a package deal or Funi neede to monopolize Gonzo. Actually I just throught of something in relation to what you said. They are posting the eps since NO ONE will buy the DVDs (they'll just stream and realize it's crap) and that way Funi can make money off of a product that sucks.

Dragonaut is what really got everyone's GONZO hate-boner going strong. There had been some of it before, like Witchblade being a pretty dumb show only salvageable because of the huge tits, but they just went overboard in Dragonaut.

To each their own. Witchblade has gotten pretty good rankings on ANN considering its based off a US comic and me and quite a few others definitely enjoyed it. anime#4284

Even the reviews on ANN have been pretty solid.

Witchblade was indeed a very good show, one that defied its fanservice-y surface and provided a story that was actually heartfelt and well-told.

As for Dragonaut, the character designs and fanservice are only slightly above Witchblade's and the controversy concerning them is really overblown. Outside of some brief, but not over-centric, jiggling, some of the girls just simply have big breasts, and there were only one or two jokes about it in the whole series. The CGI was one of GONZO's best efforts for a TV series, as it fit seamlessly with the 2D animation's style. I know I'm in the minority as one of the apparently very few fans of Dragonaut, but I was really hooked on it from the first episode and thought it was a great show with a good story, production values, and score. It wasn't without its flaws spoiler[(mainly the transition from the second part of the story to the last)], but it always seemed to pick itself back up soon after and made up for it. I will definitely be aiming to buying it when it comes out later, and it's good to see it get streamed on FUNimation's site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2