• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts 3D RPG Sells 200,000+ in U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
So officially it's less than 200k then?

That's a lot less than the previous KH game sold in a similar time frame.

Series in decline? I know I'd shed few tears if it's done.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:

No, they said the non-limited edition sold 180,000, but they didn't take in account of the limited editions that were per-ordered. Which, are OOP, which I imagine the fans per-ordered that.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:

I don't really know anything about this stuff (disclaimer!), but from what I've read the 3DS itself isn't selling great in North America, so it might be that the game's sales expectations weren't (or shouldn't have been) as high to begin with-- not that its sales are horrendous, all things considered (the MoM collectible edition DID completely sell out, after all; as did the launch event they held in New York). Furthermore, in Japan, where I believe the 3DS is a much more popular gaming device, DDD did better numbers, which is only logical. Granted, I don't think KH has ever been a record-breaker, and it's been in something of a steady "decline" in terms of sales since it departed from home consoles. The real litmus test for the series' ongoing longevity is going to be when Square finally wheels out KH3 a hundred years from now for a major platform. That'll be a good measure of how many players the series has lost (and maintained) over the course of its multi-multi-multi console mythological expansion.

Or maybe I'm just pulling this all out of thin air and am hoping for the best. Personally, I'll stick with the games as long as I like them; haven't missed an installment so far. :3
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
I don't really know anything about this stuff (disclaimer!), but from what I've read the 3DS itself isn't selling great in North America

I would be fine with a 3ds with the 3-d. I can't even see the 3-d stuff. So, it's sort of like...I would spending a money on something I cna't use. why didn't why just release a better DS or a version without the 3-d built into it. I know you can turn it off, but it still seems like a waste of money if you can't/don't use it.

I just wish the whole 3-d thing will just blow over, it's no longer special. If every movie and games gets that sort of treatment...it's getting over used. And they don't even do it right. Wasn't the point of the 3-d was to start a sort of interaction with movies?

Like I remember when they were starting with the 3-d in movies, it was started off with like aqua life and they filmed so you would "feel" like the fish were swimming around you.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
According to Wikipedia, 358/2 Days had sold around 360,000 copies about a month after its release (Which is where we are with KH3D). We don't know how many Mark of Mastery editions there were, but we do know they were completely sold out. So basically, sales for 3D are a little lower than 258/2 Days was, but that's probably because Days was released during the peak of DS's popularity, which the 3DS is still fairly new.

200,000 isn't bad by any means. When you hear about games selling 1 million+ copies, they're usually talking worldwide (excluding mega hits like Halo or COD).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the game sold so many copies considering it was a 3DS game. I got the 3DS BECAUSE of this game. It was good and I love my Mark of Mastery Edition Very Happy
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I'm glad the game sold so many copies considering it was a 3DS game. I got the 3DS BECAUSE of this game. It was good and I love my Mark of Mastery Edition Very Happy

Yup, so worth the $50 before the OOP started to come in, people are already selling it double the price now.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

I would be fine with a 3ds with the 3-d. I can't even see the 3-d stuff. So, it's sort of like...I would spending a money on something I cna't use. why didn't why just release a better DS or a version without the 3-d built into it. I know you can turn it off, but it still seems like a waste of money if you can't/don't use it.

I agree that the 3D trend is starting to get really annoying; that said, the 3DS basically IS a better DS. The 3D is just a gimmick they added to it (kind of like the touch screen for the DS, actually), but it's hardly the only selling point; the system itself has far better graphical capabilities than the DS, for starters. And while I'm often unable to see the 3D "effect" in other games, I can actually see it very clearly in DDD. Even then, though, I generally only turn it on to play through the story portions and occasionally for fun, since grinding with it all the time gives me a headache. Although, I wonder why you would want an updated DS without the 3D built into it when, as you acknowledged, you can just turn the 3D off if you don't like it (I could understand if the 3D couldn't be dialed down, but why ask for less capabilities in a new system)?

Vata Raven wrote:
Yup, so worth the $50 before the OOP started to come in, people are already selling it double the price now.

Yeah, I heard people were buying three or more MoM editions just so they could hock them to collectors at inflated prices once they went OOP. Like ticket scalping. Sometimes I hate people.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
According to Wikipedia, 358/2 Days had sold around 360,000 copies about a month after its release (Which is where we are with KH3D). We don't know how many Mark of Mastery editions there were, but we do know they were completely sold out. So basically, sales for 3D are a little lower than 258/2 Days was, but that's probably because Days was released during the peak of DS's popularity, which the 3DS is still fairly new.

200,000 isn't bad by any means. When you hear about games selling 1 million+ copies, they're usually talking worldwide (excluding mega hits like Halo or COD).

Actually, 3D's sales are lower than both 358/2 Days and Birth By Sleep, and BBS was on the PSP, a significantly (And consistently) less popular console than we're told the 3DS is.

I'd say this decline may be what SE needs to stop with the stall tactics and just make KH3 already, but seeing as how they've warped the story into a convoluted mess with each game since KH2, I just don't trust them to do a good job with the series any longer tbh.

Shame. Was a fun series back in the day.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
I agree that the 3D trend is starting to get really annoying; that said, the 3DS basically IS a better DS. The 3D is just a gimmick they added to it (kind of like the touch screen for the DS, actually), but it's hardly the only selling point; the system itself has far better graphical capabilities than the DS, for starters. And while I'm often unable to see the 3D "effect" in other games, I can actually see it very clearly in DDD. Even then, though, I generally only turn it on to play through the story portions and occasionally for fun, since grinding with it all the time gives me a headache. Although, I wonder why you would want an updated DS without the 3D built into it when, as you acknowledged, you can just turn the 3D off if you don't like it (I could understand if the 3D couldn't be dialed down, but why ask for less capabilities in a new system)?

Because, I feel as if the 3-d is just a reason to jack up the prices. I mean, isn't Nintendo normally "family friendly" priced? $300 for a newly released handheld, yeah...it's a wonder why people didn't buy it. Sure, it went down in price, only to have the XL version to come out. Parents aren't going to buy their kids a $300 system for them to only lose it or break it, they sure won't be replacing that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1