• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Light Novels Have 5.85 Million Copies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
You're missing what I said. An anime only has a few hundred lines per episode, and that's just dialog. How about all of the other text you have a book: descriptions, actions, detailing, etc. As for just taking the fan translations and calling it their own with nothing being down, what are the laws on ownership of a translation? I don't believe they can just flat out steal the work and call it their own (the translations, mind, not SAO itself, you nitpickers and hypocrisy-pointer-outers). Legal matters aside, that's a real lazy thing to do, and reflects poorly on their efforts if they're not willing to provide their own translation from scratch.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Not too surprising considering the large fan base of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
not when can just use what is already translated and just correct their error and make improvement. It's legal to use fansub, there is nothing they can do about it.

When I buy a manga, anime, or light novel that's been released in English I expect it to be a professional translation, not a fan translation. I would refuse to buy a plagiarism of pirated material, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't even think companies could legally put fansubs on their releases even if they wanted to. That's because although the fansubs are illegal, they are also the product of the work the fansubbers put into it. In other words the fansubbers may not have copyright over the work itself but the translation, editing, type-setting et cetera belong to them and not the company who owns the Anime itself. Therefore the companies would have to ask the fansubbers permission to use their translations, even though like I said fansubs are illegal.

The same goes with AMVs and fan-art. Even if copyright was violated that doesn't mean the companies now have ownership of the new product, they can't take ownership of a fan-made game or drawing or AMV. They can of course demand that it be taken down from distribution, and they can seek recompense or jail time if they think a fan is depriving the company of money. But they still do not own the fan's creative input.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Not to mention, translating pages and pages of just text is hard work. Manga only has like 10-20 bubbles per page, most of those one or two sentences, or perhaps even just a word. Anime may have a hundred lines per episode, but getting an entire book done is just a whole other level. That's time consuming for a translator, and expensive. Manga can be broken into people cleaning, typesetting, (or just editing in general) and translating, but with that division of labor you can obtain a brisker pace, and get more releases out quickly.

not when can just use what is already translated and just correct their error and make improvement. It's legal to use fansub, there is nothing they can do about it.

I'd rather it be completely translated from the source. If the translations I've read from BT are any indication of the actual Japanese, then the writing is pretty bad. The story and concept are great, but I got annoyed at times at the inconsistent writing (or translation and editing (or lack of)).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've seen the Baka-Tsuki translation, and it's dull a lot of the time. There's no explosive description a lot of the time. It's just very "enough to get by".[/quote]
edwd2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
5.85 Million isnt much. LOGH Novels sold 15 million/volume
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
edwd2 wrote:
And of course, if you're not an all-time bestseller, you're nothing. Rolling Eyes
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
edwd2 wrote:
And of course, if you're not an all-time bestseller, you're nothing. Rolling Eyes

It was also before the advent of the internet when you have alternative ways of gaining published works and more instant gratification entertainment.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I don't even think companies could legally put fansubs on their releases even if they wanted to. That's because although the fansubs are illegal, they are also the product of the work the fansubbers put into it. In other words the fansubbers may not have copyright over the work itself but the translation, editing, type-setting et cetera belong to them and not the company who owns the Anime itself. Therefore the companies would have to ask the fansubbers permission to use their translations, even though like I said fansubs are illegal.

The same goes with AMVs and fan-art. Even if copyright was violated that doesn't mean the companies now have ownership of the new product, they can't take ownership of a fan-made game or drawing or AMV. They can of course demand that it be taken down from distribution, and they can seek recompense or jail time if they think a fan is depriving the company of money. But they still do not own the fan's creative input.

yes but tell that to jast-usa and manga gamer that used fan translations/translators in some of their licensed works when a said project near done. To name a few off the top off of my head that would be School Days HQ, higurashi, deus ex machina demon bane, saya no uta, chaos head and stein's gate. Check the link below if you don't believe me~

http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Chaos;Head

Companies can use fan-translations in order to cut down time and cost on bringing these titles over, the problem mainly lies with getting contracts up, translators on board etc. It's been done before though with school days and even the company overflow was welcome to the translators "sekai project".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
The main problem with getting fan translators on board is that many of them have this bizarre "F*CK THE MAN" mentality that makes them hell to deal with. And if they go through with you, they become paraiahs in their fandoms.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
@Cecil

Yes, but those translators agreed to let JAST use their translations. What dtm was saying was that JAST wouldn't legally have been able just say "Oh look, this Sekai Project has already translated a bunch of School Days, let's just use that" and take it without any permission from the group. The translation belongs to whomever translated it, regardless of the rights owner, unless a formal agreement has been made transferring the rights to that translation to the other entity.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
@Cecil

Yes, but those translators agreed to let JAST use their translations. What dtm was saying was that JAST wouldn't legally have been able just say "Oh look, this Sekai Project has already translated a bunch of School Days, let's just use that" and take it without any permission from the group. The translation belongs to whomever translated it, regardless of the rights owner, unless a formal agreement has been made transferring the rights to that translation to the other entity.

Hmm I see your point... that does clear a few things up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
This could be the new Naruto. I'm looking forward to it, Naruto II.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
This could be the new Naruto. I'm looking forward to it, Naruto II.

Not likely. It's limited in episode length, so while it may have a popularity spike for several months, the fervor will eventually calm down and fade. It's not going to cause cosplayers and meme-spouters to float around conventions for a decade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4