• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Band of Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know which I should worry about: the fact that the guy has a statue of Beat Angel Escalayer in the fourth photo (from the eroge and H-series of the same name), or the fact that I recognized it for what it was...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Heroic Age proved to be one of my favorite space operas in recent memory (though it's not very high on my must-get list). Unfortunately it doesn't get really good until the second half; the first half was good, true, but it was still pretty generic.

It gets major bonuses for having a fantastic opening theme song; major negatives for not having particularly outstanding character designs.

Baccano!... well, you've all reached episode 9 now, so you've seen one of the biggest I-did-not-see-that-one-coming-though-I-really-should-have moments in my entire history of anime watching. (spoiler[It didn't help that the fansubbers had used "she" for Claire Stanfield; I commend Funimation for figuring out how to stay gender-neutral just like the Japanese]) It pretty much clinched my love for this whole series.
merr

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Audiowise, I have one beef with the original sound mixing. It doesn't make sense why, when Age leaps onto a space car, he doesn't make any noise. Everybody is going to make some kind of noise when they jump onto a car, so the silence is unsettling.

Not having seen the show, I'm assuming this space care jumping occurs in outer space, right? If that's the case, it makes sense for there not to be any noise since space has no air, and air is required to carry sound waves. Still, I suppose it is kind of weird if that's the only moment when there isn't sound in outer space.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
My envy meter has increased, this week shelf obsessed had the Revolutionary Girl Utena set in it! Every time I see mention of that series, it makes me want to complain to ADV to release it to thinpacks or something and stop being jerks! Or if they don't have to rights or something to complain to Funimation to save the rights and redistribute it, whatever.

My avatar says I'm a definite Bacanno! fan! I've yet to see the OVA though, is that going to be on the last disc I assume? Not much else they could put on it if disc three finished up the TV series.
Senna

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Definitely on the Baccano train Anime smile

I can empathize (to some extent) with the shower situation. I roomed with a girl on a three week trip whose showers lasted up to an HOUR long -- and this was in a bathroom she was supposed to be sharing with 3 other people, and she insisted on taking them in the morning, forcing the rest of us to shower at weird times. Thank goodness we weren't all rooming together longer; the rest of us kind of wanted to strangle her at times.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
My envy meter has increased, this week shelf obsessed had the Revolutionary Girl Utena set in it! Every time I see mention of that series, it makes me want to complain to ADV to release it to thinpacks or something and stop being jerks! Or if they don't have to rights or something to complain to Funimation to save the rights and redistribute it, whatever.

Central Park Media owns the rights to Utena, and they've just gone bankrupt. They sold a few of their licenses to ADV already, so it's possible that ADV may get Utena, but who knows? Point is, ADV is not responsible for you not having Utena (and I hope anyone who would release it would do the remastered version at this point anyway).

Quote:
My avatar says I'm a definite Bacanno! fan! I've yet to see the OVA though, is that going to be on the last disc I assume? Not much else they could put on it if disc three finished up the TV series.

Yes, the final three episodes (14-16) will be on the last disc. And if you like Jacuzzi Splot (as your avatar would indicate), you'll be very pleased by the final episodes! Smile

Quote:
Not having seen the show, I'm assuming this space care jumping occurs in outer space, right?

No, actually, it doesn't, that's the problem. Anime hyper
Also, has anybody other than 2001: A Space Odyssey and Firefly ever actually followed the "no sound in space" rule?
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Good lord I can't even stay in the shower for more than 30 minutes on a weekend. That really sucks I hate having dirty hair.

Ugh I really need to catch up on Baccano Anime cry
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
My envy meter has increased, this week shelf obsessed had the Revolutionary Girl Utena set in it!

I'm envious of what he has of Sailor Moon. Here's hoping that Toei will put it up on FUNimations's site. He's got a decent sized collection considering he's had to import it all. A warning about the figures would have been nice. I don't need to click on it just as a family member decides to pop their head in. I wish I could get me some shelves like that but I have nowhere to put them.

Bamboo wrote:
Seriously, if you haven't watched Baccano! yet, it's time to jump on the bandwagon.

Oh, I will be jumping on the Baccano! bandwagon alright. As soon as FUNi releases a box prompting Right Stuf to discount the singles. And if Heroic Age does get better in the second half as vashfanatic says, I might just get it. I'll wait and see what Bamboo has to say about it.
Basroil

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I definitely have to lend my support to Heroic Age also. In my opinion it's a fantastic show, one of my favorites of the last two years. It indeed does get better through out it's run and finishes strong.

Bamboo, when you do get to watch the rest of Heroic Age be sure to have a large time block set aside because you won't want to get out of your seat. I expect when you do your review for the 2nd box set you'll have to upgrade the whole show to shelf worthy.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
My question on Heroic Age...
Is it as Hokey yet serious as Aquarion pretended to be?

If Aquarion's pretentiousness was meant as parody, then I thought they did good job. If serious? Um... ok.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm starting to regret not having picked up some discs of Boccano! from the Funimation sale at Rightstuf, since I seem to be hearing only good things about it.
This weeks Shelf Life...oh man. You have no idea how jealous I am of your Higurashi Kori ni Kai DVDs. So...so jealous, especially knowing that they cost something insane like $60 each. The boxart, oh the boxart...
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
My question on Heroic Age...
Is it as Hokey yet serious as Aquarion pretended to be?

If Aquarion's pretentiousness was meant as parody, then I thought they did good job. If serious? Um... ok.

Heroic Age is far and away less cheesy than Aquarion. In fact, Heroic Age is far and away just plain better overall than Aquarion, IMO. I couldn't stomach watching any more of Aquarion and its inanity on FUNi's video site and then they posted a few eps of Heroic Age on Hulu and a calming presence came over me as I watched an engaging, well paced, mecha sci-fi anime with beautiful art. Very Happy
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:55 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Were those Japanese DVDs of Shakugan no Shana for Season 1 or 2? (I want Season 2 so bad, come on, Funi/Geneon!)

Looks like a complete set of R1 singles and the FUNi thin-set ... not something I condone, but haven't seen much yet, so I will just chaulk it up to some being big enough fans to buy every release no matter what anyway.
Quark wrote:
Hmm, I'm starting to regret not having picked up some discs of Boccano! from the Funimation sale at Rightstuf, since I seem to be hearing only good things about it.

They have been keeping the sales running through Mondays lately, so you still have a little over an hour (as of posting.)
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:
Not having seen the show, I'm assuming this space care jumping occurs in outer space, right?

No, actually, it doesn't, that's the problem. Anime hyper
Also, has anybody other than 2001: A Space Odyssey and Firefly ever actually followed the "no sound in space" rule?

Yes, I remember seeing one recently, but cannot for the life of me remember what it was ... maybe BSG?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
And if Heroic Age does get better in the second half as vashfanatic says, I might just get it. I'll wait and see what Bamboo has to say about it.

Let's put it this way: I usually get bored to death by mecha battles, but the Nodus duking it out gets astoundingly epic. It's not a masterpiece (hence why it's a low priority for me), but it was solidly entertaining, not to mention how I really grew to love the relationship between Deianeira and Age; I kept expecting her to turn into a damsel in distress for Age to save. And you compare Age to Jesus? I'd say Deianeira is the space Jesus, or at least a bodhisattva, she's so darn saintly!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
DJTyrant wrote:
Are you sure there wasn't someone else in the shower with him =P??

You beat me to it. I work outside, often for an hour or even two. I live in a extremely hot state and the tempeture often exceds 100.

But even so, 45 minutes is little suspicious. But then again, it could be just he took a 45 minute shower.

As for the anime this week, nothing really caught my interest. Now if there were any titles from Shonen Jump, I might say otherwise though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5