• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime food: Does a series entice you to try it?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, I also forgot to add I'm dying to try okonomiyaki, inspired by Ranma and Nabaki no Ou.

I think LA has a couple DIY places, which is slightly intimidating.
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Not really, but then I'm already a pretty good cook, and most of your regular Japanese fare isn't too interesting. Except for sushis. I can't resist a good sushi and martini. Very Happy
Ikari1

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I got really interested in Japanese food after watching anime simply becasue it seemed alot more interesting than the usual crap us students tend to eat whilst at university. Certain dishes are really fun to cook as well although sourcing the ingredients can be a right arse at times. I tried to do onigiri ( Rice balls) and was successful , with most of the ones that I made being stolen by my housemates.

It was just a case of curiosity really. I am slightly limited in what I cook because im not a massive fan of fish or anything with fish in it but it's not a massive problem for me.

I have tried some more complex dishes but mostly get scuppered by the complex ingredients.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I totally forgot about curry... Back in 2001, when I was just starting to get into anime, I happened to see the Tenchi meets Eva series Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure. Its been 8 or so years since I've seen it, but there was one character, D, who kept on talking about curry (or eating it or something like that). Up to that point in my life, I had never had anything curry. I was kinda interested in what this food was, and I asked my friend about it. He told me that it was more of a spice and that his mom made curry chicken and rice all the time, and that she would be willing to make it the next time I came over. Well, a few days later I went over and had some chicken curry... and my life was never the same Laughing ok, well it did start my love affair with curry. Every time I would go to an Indian or Chinese or Thai restaurant I would order something with curry (still do).

edit: I understand that there are a bazillion varieties of curry, and that every culture have there unique take on it. Its just that I had never had curry until I watched Dual!, and that now I love it a lot. And every time Im at a restaurant that serves "curry" dishes, which most of the time tend to be Chinese, Indian, or Thia, I always try one of the dishes.

Last edited by David.Seth on Wed May 20, 2009 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sj21

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
For me, i really wanted to try red bean buns. On my flight to tokyo, i did. I found out, they weren't terrible, but i've had better. Wink
Annf

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
I've been eating tacos a lot lately.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Every time I would go to an Indian or Chinese or Thai restaurant I would order something with curry (still do).

The extension of such a word, across its various English usages, is such that there are a great many dishes bearing practically no similarity to each other which could all be denoted by it. Your options are endless.

Tip: Use chopped shallots when making your own, if appropriate for the cuisine. They keep things moist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oh Jam!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
David.Seth wrote:
Every time I would go to an Indian or Chinese or Thai restaurant I would order something with curry (still do).

The extension of such a word, across its various English usages, is such that there are a great many dishes bearing practically no similarity to each other which could all be denoted by it. Your options are endless.

Tip: Use chopped shallots when making your own, if appropriate for the cuisine. They keep things moist.

Agreed. That being said Indian (or Pakistani border) "curry" is far superior to other asian counterparts. Either Zalfrezi or Dhansak would be my top picks.

Back on topic, oocasionally when I see noodles or the like I'll get a craving for a stir fry, which isn't too bad as the most exotic ingredient I usually have to source is some good quality peanut/sesame oil.
SailorMooncake

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
mmm... Pocky is pretty popular with anime fans, right? I've only ever seen it once in an anime but I really like it. Ramen and Gyoza are good too.
I can't stand Miso soup. I'm not one of those people who tells myself "You WILL like miso soup... because ANIME PEOPLE DO!!!" Laughing
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
From anime I ended up trying:

Taiyaki which i saw in Kanon. It was really good, was not expecting it to be as sweet considering its made from beans.

Takoyaki, the battered and fried octopus. I tried it because its so common in Japan. Personally, i think they need to cook it a bit more before serving (raw dough in the middle just isnt my thing). Seen it in a few anime here and there. I did find it odd, on some of the local TV shows, they were somewhat chastising this dish because families that ate it fairly often (can buy the pans and such to make it) were becoming predominantly over weight, and the health risks involved with that. The shows then proceeded to show them how to make "healthier" choices with their ingredients.

Melon pan which i saw most notably in Shakugan no Shana.
Tried many types of this, from those with or with out filling, from store bought to out right bakery. Oddly enough my favorite was from the local 7-11's. They were a lot larger too. Had the perfect amount of sweet and "breadyness", yea its not a word, you'd just have to try it.

Also got to try various forms of curry (seen in several anime but none come to mind right off). Though i was a bit humored by the "its too hot" comments from friends and locals i was visiting with. I tried the hottest ones, which to me were quite mild. Might have something to do with being used to Tex-Mex as well as many authentic Mexican dishes that are much spicier and hotter.

There was also the traditional Japanese sweets on a stick (the round ones that are glazed) which i cant remember the name of. Oddly enough Taiyaki was actually sweeter, as for a sweet i dont think it had much if any sugar or sugar type product in it. Was told most "traditional" sweets don't though.

Also tried "pork buns" as they are translated, which I also first saw in Kanon, at least to the point i actually paid attention to the food.
Were many different types, was probably my favorite of all the things i tried.

Also tried Natto (also seen in some anime) the fermented soy beans. I did not have a good experience with it, as the taste and smell reminded me of caster oil, with roughly the same effect too.

Edit*
Forgot to add Miso to it as well. The dish is severed at every restaurant, aside from fast food places, with any meal. Some had "devils tongue", some didn't. Preferred the ones with out, as the plant itself didn't have much of a taste.

As for meats, preferred the fried pork cutlets.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quote
I must say that after my adventured with Japanese dishes I'm not keen on making it.
Sushi was just awful, the same with other things I've tried in restaurants. My cousin who used to live in Japanese says that there are just a few restaurants in Europe where he ate something similar to things that he liked in Japan. Different ingredients just "like" the Japanese ones makes dishes here "castrated".
Once upon a time I got a set for making sushi. It contained even a special rice (try to cook "regular" rice to be able to eat it using chopsticks!) .
I)The rice had a consistence and taste of the glue- maybe soya sauce? (Mum will already kill me for that mess, one or two extra spots won't make a difference)
II)Unfortunately I'm not able to use fresh salmon... maybe the smoked one? Grilled trot will be enough!
After long preparations I made something a bit similar to dish on the cover. I was sure that I won't be able to eat that... or anything connected with Japan for next 10 years.
III)If you have a problem with eating anything put it into pancake pastry and fry for one minute and don't say to those who are eating it what exactly is it.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of baking (or actually, eating baked food Laughing) so reading/watching Yakitate! Japan makes me hungry sometimes. Mr. Green The same is true for Chinese food, so my mouth sometimes waters when I'm reading Iron Wok Jan Anime hyper Japanese food, in my experience anyways, tends to have a mild taste, and so I'm not quite as passionate/hungry when I see it in manga or anime.
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
Pocky of course is great, but it's not something I keep around the house very often. It's not economical to buy it box by box, so if you like Pocky, find someplace that sells it in bulk for a good price.

Sushi/Sashimi was something I was dedicated to acquire a taste for when I was still in high school. Once you get over the gag factor of eating raw fish, you should eventually start enjoying it. An important factor when starting out is focusing on fish that you know you enjoy cooked. If you don't like it cooked, you'll probably find it 10x worse raw (of course there can be exceptions). IMHO a good beginner fish is Toro or Maguro (fatty $$ / regular $ tuna). In my experience, even if someone believes they hate the idea of eating raw fish, when I let them try some tuna sashimi, they more often then not admit to enjoying it. Also keep in mind that not all sushi/sashimi is created equal. Fish quality can very greatly from restaurant to restaurant. In recent times, since sashimi can be very expensive, I often go with rolls with mixtures of fish and other things.

Another thing I came to really love was udon. Finding quality udon in can be a challenge though. Of the twenty or so Japanese restaurants I've eaten at in my city, only one or two make what I would consider excellent udon. The rest are poor to mediocre at best. Protip: If you aren't skilled with chopsticks, stay away from udon. You will be very disappointed when you find you are unable to eat your meal because you can't pick up the slippery noodles. There is a bit of a trick to it though. First, being able to consistently open and close your chopsticks and have the tips come together firmly (if you are able to pick-up small grains of rice with chopsticks, you shouldn't have an issue). By keeping your chopsticks even, and applying even gentle pressure on the exact opposite sides of the noodle, you shouldn't have an issue picking it up. Make sure to aim for the center of the long noodle, and once you pick it up, let it hang on your chopsticks while bringing it to your mouth. I have no idea if that is how the Japanese do it, but I eat udon very regularly and that is the best method I've found through trial and error.

Sukiyaki I've tried, but I hate it to the point of being unable to eat it. Maybe I just haven't found someplace that makes good sukiyaki, but I think the main issue is that sweetened noodles don't get along with me very well. Cold soba I'm not partially fond of either, since it's cold, heh. I'm the type of person that prefers hot tea and hot soup, even when it's 110 °F outside <_< . I have yet to try hot soba, but I'm sure I would like it, since I like udon so much.

Hmm, what else... I tried grilled unagi (freshwater eel), and it's good as well, but nowadays I just get it on top of sushi rolls instead of a standalone dish. And last but not least onigiri. Some friends of mine in my Japanese class shared some homemade onigiri a few times, but it's really something I should learn to start making myself. I also can't help but wonder if anime is what influenced me to become an extremely heavy tea drinker (you see tea mentioned so often in anime, I wouldn't be surprised if that rubbed off on me).

I like lots of other Japanese food as well, but I think that is the extent of what anime has directly enticed me to try, or at least what comes to mind at the moment.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I think I can blame anime for Curry, Pocky (which are both ok), and Miso (bland I think) but that's about it. I was already a huge fan of Asian cuisine because I went to a Vietnamese restaurant weekly when I was in college and I've always liked Chinese. Japanese food tends to be a bit more bland. I wasn't a huge fan of Miso soup which I had at some of these Japanese steakhouses but I have no idea how authentic that is so I'm always up for trying it elsewhere.

I'm pretty open to new food, if there was anything I'd like to do in Japan it'd be seeing what else they have that's unique there. It would be difficult to imagine it'd beat out Vietnamese as my favorite Asian cuisine though. I absolutely love Nuoc Mam, Cha Gio and the Spring Rolls/Peanut Sauce are awesome as well. And that's just the appetizers.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
I have always wondered what melon bread tastes like (Shakugan no Shana). Actually what is melon bread, melon flavoured bread?
I recently tried pocky, but I prefer normal digestive biscuits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6