• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-05-13

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
With one three letter word Keven's soul is forever damned to hell. The things we men will do in the persents of a pretty face. Adam and Eve it! :lol:

In Kevin's defense, its hard to resist the hard felt words "strong conection". Espeically since she apparently means it. But Kevin is in quite a pickle now though.

On a completely diffrent note, I wonder what Kevin ordered to eat? It looks like chicken, but I can't say for sure.

Zac: I could be wrong, but I don't think people wanted to spoil the next as much as they wanted to guess what type of woman Megan would be. The actual chances of finding a sane and normal otaku woman is as difficult as winning the lottery. There is no actual way of telling how Robin came up with a orginal idea like this. And that is why I enjoy reading this comic, because of the chance of reading something completely unexpected.
poonk

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
PhoenixHeart wrote:
Wow... wait! This reminds me of a Korean movie I saw a while ago: "I'm a Robot - but that's ok" - a great movie which showcases inside a madhouse and describes the growing love between a girl that believes she's a robot and a guy that believes he can steal any ability and trait of other people
Kevin's no Rain, though...

Zac wrote:
And to be frank, I found the endless amount of "guessing" last week to be... well, puzzling. I don't understand the mad dash to basically spoil the comic. Is it a pride thing? If you were right, are you 'smart'? Is it possible to just enjoy the thing without attempting to force yourself into the creation process.
Hmm, I sort of viewed it as a lot of people taking the opportunity to randomly bash on female fans-- because you know we're all "crazy" somehow. Rolling Eyes Outside of the readers' comments, though, I did actually find the strip to be pretty amusing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Zac: I could be wrong, but I don't think people wanted to spoil the next as much as they wanted to guess what type of woman Megan would be. The actual chances of finding a sane and normal otaku woman is as difficult as winning the lottery. There is no actual way of telling how Robin came up with a orginal idea like this. And that is why I enjoy reading this comic, because of the chance of reading something completely unexpected.

I guess from my perspective, I understand people aren't trying to be jerks about it, but to me the end result is... what? So you guessed the next plot turn and managed to kinda take the wind out of the author's sails and sort of prevent people from just enjoying the strip organically without someone shouting their plot predictions out in the hope that they're right. Just seems unnecessary to me.
Usagi_Mitsukino

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
the weirdest part is that this actually does happen in real life . . .
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I guess from my perspective, I understand people aren't trying to be jerks about it, but to me the end result is... what? So you guessed the next plot turn and managed to kinda take the wind out of the author's sails and sort of prevent people from just enjoying the strip organically without someone shouting their plot predictions out in the hope that they're right. Just seems unnecessary to me.
My perspective is I can relate to what Keven is going through in a way and I'm captivated by it. Robin is working magic with this strip. The way she is teasing and twisting the story to be a surprise every time, even with all the guessing, just spotlights her talent as a good strip writer and illustrator. Surely you must have noticed no one has been whinging, and whining about how bad it is, but becoming absorbed into the story, and that has to be the best compliment to a story teller, don't you think? I believe mostly all mangakas get the same treatment one way, or another. It's goes with the craft. Robin is a star in ANNs constellation.
AnimeFollower

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

To start, ANN=Anime News Nina

Zac, I agree with you 100% on this. My enjoyment of ANN diminishes everytime I read the ANN forum. Do people really need to be telling everyone what they think is going to happen next? really? Do they do that whenever they go to a movie theater? I bet they don't because I'm sure they don't want to know what it's like to be fed through a tube.

I offer two solutions:

Solution 1: Disable the forum for ANN.

Solution 2: For everyone to stay in suspense and maximize your enjoyment of ANN, do not read/comment in the ANN forum...EVER!

I will administer Solution 2, since it will be my choice and only affect me.

Since this will be my one and only post on an ANN forum, I would like to say that I enjoy ANN very much and I wish Robin continued success.

Please keep them coming, Robin! Very Happy
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Aha! Now I understand why she said something like, "I knew you would," when he told her he liked her hair buns. She knew he would because she just knew he was her Tamahome! Very Happy

My personal favorite panel is the ninth panel (or I guess it could be considered the seventh panel if you consider a split panel as one panel instead of two). I laughed pretty hard at the little drawing of Kevin because he looks like he's trying not to freak out as he realizes she is an otakukin/fictionkin. When I first looked at the comic strip, my eyes were drawn to the group of guys, though, and I started laughing at that before I even knew why there were a bunch of guys there.

And Kevin's "yes" at the end was indeed hilarious. I think he's just started weaving a very tangled web around himself.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
dunno Zac, it's a forum, where a buncha people show up with opinons... just like when somebody talks about the next installment of whatever manga/anime/movie they haven't seen yet.
starts with:
"no freakin' way, did she just say THAT?"
other people say:
"yeah, can you believe it? I wonder what will happen from here..."
and so on.

Occam suggests that it isn't that everyone is trying to figure it out to spoil the fun.

In a way, it suggests to me that the people who post, trust that Robin is going to come up with something amusing. And then can't wait to read the next one. That part IS necessary... it provides the impetus to come back and see what happens next. Doncha' think it's like that? Maybe it's just me.

Good on 'ya Robin for bringing the funneh.
Rastage

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:

Easy: She read the forums and thought of the one thing nobody predicted. Not that it's any less brilliant of a plot twist.

Actually, now that I think of it... was she planning this all along? Were the "hair buns" foreshadowing?? Hmmmmm...

Don't tell me you think that Robin comes up with a story line week by week basis. Come on, give the author of this comic bit more credit that she deserves. She probably have some basic plot line figured out before she draws the comic. I think you answered your own question, yes, that "hair buns" were foreshadowing this weeks story line, isn't that obvious? I don't think she went "Oh! her hair style looks like Miaka, well, she's Miaka now!"

Zac wrote:

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!
gaius

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Great comic! I laugh every time I think about it.

To me, guessing what is going to happen next is a non-malicious little game where there are no winners or losers. I didn't know guessing at what might happen next or other discussions that are not considered necessary (even though they are related to the comic) are not tolerated here.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:

Occam suggests that it isn't that everyone is trying to figure it out to spoil the fun.

In a way, it suggests to me that the people who post, trust that Robin is going to come up with something amusing. And then can't wait to read the next one. That part IS necessary... it provides the impetus to come back and see what happens next. Doncha' think it's like that? Maybe it's just me.

Good on 'ya Robin for bringing the funneh.

As I said, I know people aren't doing it to be malicious. I get that.

It's just the endless "how could we not have predicted this?!" or "she just read what we said she'd do and then didn't do that" or "Hey I vaguely mentioned something that could've been loosely related to the plot last week, go me, I'm awesome!". It's the sort of weirdly competitive vibe, the eagerness to be the guy who predicted the next plot turn... I mean, it's just a comic strip. I don't get the feeding frenzy.

People tend to take just about everything too far - witness the absolutely endless Ultimate Mop "jokes" people would post about the show being real. That went on for what felt like months, and it really dominated the Nina threads. I could easily see people turning every discussion thread into a "let's all relentlessly speculate on every plot point we can come up with and then in the next thread either pat ourselves on the back for predicting it correctly or express shock that we weren't right". Which would get really, really old.

But, people will enjoy it however they like. I'm just personally mystified by it.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
That was great! Very funny! The first cute girl Kevin actually asks out, and she's an insane otakukin who thinks she is Miaki Yuki from Fushigi Yugi! Love the unexpected comedy, keep it up, Robin!
Elves

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
OMG! Anime exclamation Shocked Anime exclamation Shocked Anime exclamation This pokes fun of soooo~ooo many things all at once I don't know where to start giving praise!!

AWESOME strip this week.
(Poor Kevin. Anime cry He's sunk so low. lol)
animefan1254

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
if she doesn't act like this all the time and with other people she meets then, in my opinion, its a not a big problem. but if she does this all the time and she will brag about this to others if she dates Kevin then its time to bail.
commsky

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Funny because it's true, and the face is epic
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10