• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Oh My Goddess! (2nd Ed) GN 11

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote
Psycho, that's all I'm saying. It just seems that if a manga series or an anime series is a particular genre that ANN reviewers automatically give it a few bad marks.

Are some storyarcs a little weak? Sure, I've even commented on my own site that some of the storyarcs of AMG are a bit weak but it seems a little one-sided when reviewers here constantly give it bad marks.

Allowing someone to review a series like AMG when that reviewer has a distaste for the genre that series falls into is like allowing someone who hates Science Fiction to review a Science Fiction movie. It's just unbalanced reviewing.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Allowing someone to review a series like AMG when that reviewer has a distaste for the genre that series falls into is like allowing someone who hates Science Fiction to review a Science Fiction movie. It's just unbalanced reviewing.

Somehow you seem to be conveniently ignoring all of the titles I listed above that Carlo has reviewed. It may not be an issue of genre/demographics, Carlo just might not find Oh My Goddess! to be that consistently worthwhile.

Shocking, I know.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quote
This is the very first manga series I started collecting. I'm waiting for volume 32. Though I'm addicted to this series, I have to honestly say I agree with Carlo about this review. I found it be similar. Fujishima is on auto pilot with this so much so that he is doing other things at the same time and keeps recycling story arcs with only slight changes in the hope no one notices. He's obviously not reading his fan mail because sadly it seems he hasn't noticed that we have a long time ago yet. Rolling Eyes
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Simple, an English translation of a manga series is the same as an Engish dubbed version of an anime series.

I want a logical argument for this, because I'm not seeing it. You're just stating that "A = C" without any reasoning as to why.

I think all his other arguments are silly, but I can perhaps see where he's coming with this.

When you have an anime subtitled, you have the original Japanese there to listen to and compare with the translation if you know Japanese. With both a dub (because it removes the original audio) and a text translation (because it removes the original text), you have to trust the translator did their job and can't compare the two.

I've never read AMG, but I've compared some of their other translations to the Japanese original (long story) and I think Dark Horse does a good job with translation, at least among their more recent stuff. So the whole "translation makes it look bad" issue is a red herring, really.

And the issue nobody's raised: long-running does not mean high quality! Look at soap operas, for crying out loud! Most of them are the longest running shows on American television, but are absolutely awful in terms of script, acting, plot, production values, etc....while brilliant shows like Firefly get canceled after a season. Length =/= quality.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU, if you read my posts, you would know that my comments were pointed at the overly negative reviews that ANN editors have against the manga series ... and not against Carl Horn.

IN the case of this series, Vash, long running does mean high quality. Fujishima's artwork and his writing still remains as fresh for the manga series as it did when it first started.

The problem with ANN reviewers is that their reviews are stagnant and are so one-sided that I can't see how anyone takes the reviews seriously.

The reviews posted on Amazon are more balanced than the reviews on ANN.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

The reviews posted on Amazon are more balanced than the reviews on ANN.

So stop reading them.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
IN the case of this series, Vash, long running does mean high quality. Fujishima's artwork and his writing still remains as fresh for the manga series as it did when it first started.

I looked over all their reviews of OMG, and they've all praised his art highly.

I know you're very upset, but you clearly have a case of "OMG HOW DARE YOU INSULT SOMETHING I LOVE"-itis. We all get that way sometimes. Believe me, I wanted to scream at some of these reviewers for how they nitpicked Monster to death (while giving glowing reviews to series I consider massively inferior), but that's the price of only having one review per work, and why they give us a comments section. If you disagree, tell us why! Tells us what in this volume works, be reasonable, be calm, be persuasive. Don't scream at the reviewer, give your own review. That's how it works.

So, why was Volume 12 deserving of a better grade?
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Without sounding disrespectful, that's a poor attitude to take, Zac.

As a matter of preference I do warn everybody through a rather large blog that I own about ANN's reviews.

Oh, and it's funny how consecutively the AMG reviews are negative and yet there are sites like the Anime on DVD/Mania site whose reviews on the manga are more balanced than ANN's.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I'll just be blunt here: I don't care at all about your opinion since you've proven over and over again that you're a malcontent wackjob trapped in a pit of his own bullsh*t.

Here's where you call me "unprofessional" and continue bitching about "balance" in reviews of a show you so obviously have a giant perpetual boner for.

As though your extreme is more valid than the extreme you're incorrectly accusing us of having.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

As a matter of preference I do warn everybody through a rather large blog that I own about ANN's reviews.

Oh, and it's funny how consecutively the AMG reviews are negative and yet there are sites like the Anime on DVD/Mania site whose reviews on the manga are more balanced than ANN's.

And it's funny how you've yet to take up my challenge and offer your own review. Instead you say that it's long running and as good as ever, but you don't say why. In other words, you never take up arms against the ideas, just against the reviewers, which seems to me to be futile. Surely it's better to take this opportunity to submit what you would consider to be a good review rather than just complain that this is a bad one?
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
It would be interesting if ANN had the site opened up for users to submit their own reviews but they don't.

Zac, I respect your stand but I have a hard time in taking the word of someone who turns around and bans a member just because they posted a constructive critical review of another anime periodical.

So fans are left with biased, inferior reviews.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
It would be interesting if ANN had the site opened up for users to submit their own reviews but they don't.

Zac, I respect your stand but I have a hard time in taking the word of someone who turns around and bans a member just because they posted a constructive critical review of another anime periodical.

So fans are left with biased, inferior reviews.

Your complaints weren't constructive though. It just sounded like you were mad that the reviewer didn't love the comic as much as you did.
I read the review, and it sounded very fair to me. The reviewer gave ample reason for not liking this volume, and for you to say it's unfair because he didn't review the Japanese edition, didn't factor in the whole series into his review of one book, and didn't consider how long the series has run is absolutely ridiculous, and makes it sound like you're grasping at straws.
Honestly, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing people trashing this site, accusing it of being biased, because the reviewers didn't love the show as much as they did. And you guys are just as biased as you claim this site to be, because you get all up your high horse because your favourite show/manga didn't get a glowing review.
There's been plenty of reviews on this site that I've disagreed with, but never once have I claimed that the site is biased. I can accept that, hey, the reviewer has a different opinion than mine. Then I move on with my life. It's pretty simple, really. Perhaps you should try to do the same.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Quark, I referring to a post I had made about Wizard Press' Anime Invasion to which I posted a constructive comments which I said that the magazine didn't take anime too serious. Zac didn't like what I posted because he thought I was referring to a friend of his at Wizard where he used to work.

Instead, he just aimed at restricting my account because he didn't want 'anything' that could be considered constructive criticism aimed at Wizard. So, that's what I meant as biased

As far as the reviews on Oh My Goddess, all I've said is that ANN is consistantly against the type of anime or manga that Oh My Goddess is and instead of being polite about it, like I have been, Zac decides he wants to be vindictive about it as his recent post in this topic indicates.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but if you want everyone to be polite, you have to practice it first. It's just obvious that, from Zac's behavior, that ANN wants members who won't disagree with them.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
As far as the reviews on Oh My Goddess, all I've said is that ANN is consistantly against the type of anime or manga that Oh My Goddess is and instead of being polite about it, like I have been, Zac decides he wants to be vindictive about it as his recent post in this topic indicates.

Except I addressed this very point on the first page:

HellKorn wrote:
You mean Berserk, Parasyte, Solanin, Pluto, et cetera aren't seinen, and Love*Com and High School Debut aren't romantic comedies?

Also, seinen isn't a genre -- it's a demographic, as shonen, shojo and josei are.

Furthermore, I may be mistaken, but I recall overall positive assessments made by Theron Martin and Bamboo Dong about the anime adaption. The movie is also praised by reviewers here.

And speaking of respect, I would expect you to have the courtesy to directly answer the points made by vashfanatic and myself, and offer constructive criticism rather than blather on like some fanboy who's hurt that a reviewer doesn't adore his series. Yet you never have. Make them in a future post if you choose to, otherwise shut up.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I understand all of that. The one thing I'm not, is a fanboy, when it comes to this series. While it is one of my favourites, I do have many others. Masamune Shirow, Katsuhiro Otomo, Ken Akamatsu are just some of my other favourites.

I'm not saying that ANN's reviews are entirely unbalanced, just that there seems to be a negative balance toward certain genres.

I think some mistook what I was trying to say. Zac was right, I'm overly critical, especially when it's evident that certain anime or manga genres are favored more positively over others ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2