• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: The Long-awaited Release of Bakemonogatari is set to hit North America this Holiday Season!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I'm really getting sick and tired of the anime industry wasting bluray technology for the sake of stupidity. Seriously putting 15 episodes on six disks?! That's ridiculous.

Probably licensor request to keep the six discs since it is split up into each arc (with the last arc receiving 2 discs). At least the R1 companies use BD50 discs and try to put as many episodes on few discs as possible.

the licensor is them self. lol

50GB is not enough for 10eps unless you don't use uncompressed audio and maybe lower picture quality too, 720p, instead of 1080p. Go download an uncompressed song and look at the size.

Sometimes, i see R1 fills 13 eps in 1 bluray, now that's cut corner.
Release it in 6 bluray is more expensive than release it in 1 bluray.
But this anime is old, it came out when bluray is still news, i don't think 1 or 6 blurays will make any different.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
YOu must be nuts to buy this at full price. Oh right, unless you've got money to burn. (Get this dubbed Aniplex!)

Last edited by 28076004505531 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Cirex wrote:
Meh. My old manness is showing. I look at 150$ and think back to buying two episode of Ranma 1/2 subtitled VHS at 30-35$. and dub for around 25-30$. 13volumes long for a season and say to my self. hum... guess more things change the more they stay the same. but for my money I will preorder anything that has NisiOisin's name on it.
love his stuff.

And the 2 episode per VHS was an absolutely horrible system.

Just think how much you spent on a format that is now completely worthless.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm very much looking forward to owning this. Price was pretty much what I expected. The AoA purchase I'll be wrestling with will be the Garden of Sinners DVD. Do I buy it or do I what to see if AoA releases a non-LE BD version of it down the road? Decisions, decisions...

Assuming the DVD rerelease of the Garden of Sinners is under $75, I would get that and hope that down the road it is released on BD for under $120. You would be double dipping, but didn't the original BD set cost around $400?

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
But don't get cocky, anime industry. If it thinks I'm paying this price in a blind-buy situation, well, let's just say those red pens better be ready.

You do not have to blind buy at $150; you have the option to watch it first, legally, on Crunchyroll.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

50GB is not enough for 10eps unless you don't use uncompressed audio and maybe lower picture quality too, 720p, instead of 1080p.

5GB for a 25 minute episode at 1080p is plenty enough. Especially for animation.

H.264 is a super efficient codec and you very quickly reach a point where making the bit rate higher isn't doing anything other than making some disc analyzer happy that you're maxing out space on a BD.

Now, I know they'd never do something like put 10 episodes on a disc but it's less for quality reasons and more for the fact that people would be willing to spend more money if they are getting more discs. $150 is a bit pricey, but 6 discs for $150 is more palatable than 2 discs for $150.
Cirex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Cirex wrote:
Meh. My old manness is showing. I look at 150$ and think back to buying two episode of Ranma 1/2 subtitled VHS at 30-35$. and dub for around 25-30$. 13volumes long for a season and say to my self. hum... guess more things change the more they stay the same. but for my money I will preorder anything that has NisiOisin's name on it.
love his stuff.

And How! when it moved to 3-4 episodes for the same price I was in heaven.

Yep but those are the breaks of technology. The hard road of being Not only a Fan, But a collector is a costly one.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
50GB is not enough for 10eps unless you don't use uncompressed audio and maybe lower picture quality too, 720p, instead of 1080p. Go download an uncompressed song and look at the size.
Blu-ray supports two different lossless codecs. The only advantage uncompressed PCM audio has over them is the lack of licensing fees.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
It seems like they're trying to mirror the six-volume Japanese release. Since you get them all at once, it really doesn't matter.

Matters to me when I'm having to swap out a disk every 3 episodes when it's not necessary.

Spotlesseden wrote:

I agree, but it can easily hold 6/7 without an issue. FUNimation's been doing it quite well for a while now and I certainly don't see any issues with the quality (storage wise, let's not turn this into an upscale issue) of adding more episodes per disk.

Three disks would have been more than sufficient for a 16 episode series and Aniplex damn well knows it. They're owned by Sony, co-developers of bluray.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I'm really getting sick and tired of the anime industry wasting bluray technology for the sake of stupidity. Seriously putting 15 episodes on six disks?! That's ridiculous.

The UK release of Madoka is on three discs, even though it is released as a single collection, because they are using the US masters.

It could be they are modifying the masters from the existing release rather than starting from scratch (the Japanese and Korean BD releases were also over 6 discs). Or, given the trouble getting this show licensed at all, Kodansha had some weird requirement about how to split things up or regarding the disc art etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

the licensor is them self. lol

I've always heard that Kodansha holds the international rights to the show.

Quote:

I was just pointing out that the US anime industry likes to use BD50 discs and put as many episodes as possible on one disc.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Or, given the trouble getting this show licensed at all, Kodansha had some weird requirement about how to split things up or regarding the disc art etc.

This is definitely a thought, as well as the original masters made in Japan are just easier to send overseas and get cut that way.

FUNimation, for all we know, could be making their own masters for some of the series they do.

Even still, the entire premise is ridiculous. Then again, so was putting 2/3 episodes on DVD when it could clearly hold more.
Rolling Eyes
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Ugh, I'd rather not.

It's a good point, though. I'd pay the equivalent of $35-40 to import NTSC tapes containing two sub-only episodes in VHS blur-o-vision. Compared to that, Bakemonogatari in pin-sharp HD is a veritable bargain.

On the other hand, NISA gives me 11-13 episodes on Blu-ray and DVD in a big sturdy box with a big hardback book for $70 retail. I bought anohana, Bunny Drop, and could get another set for the price of Bakemonogatari. For better or worse, we've simply become accustomed to lower prices being the norm.

Last edited by ElectricDork on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Or, given the trouble getting this show licensed at all, Kodansha had some weird requirement about how to split things up or regarding the disc art etc.

This is definitely a thought, as well as the original masters made in Japan are just easier to send overseas and get cut that way.

FUNimation, for all we know, could be making their own masters for some of the series they do.

Even still, the entire premise is ridiculous. Then again, so was putting 2/3 episodes on DVD when it could clearly hold more.
Rolling Eyes

Unless things have changed in the past few years - R1 companies get a copy of the masters from Japan. Unless there is some weird licensing restriction, they can author the videos however they feel like.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
You heard of the Wii, right? Well, the new Wii is called Wii U,

I've owned a Wii for the last few years. It's probably had about 10 hours of play time total.

Quote:
it's their HD system,

WiiHD would have been too simple? ^^ I wonder if the 'U' stands for anything...

Animegomaniac wrote:
It's a box set of Japanese releases with Japanese special features;

Aren't all anime Japanese releases? It's not like these are the Japanese discs being rebundled for the US release, although they probably started with the same Blu-ray masters. Why do you think that character commentaries only appeal to the Japanese? I think that they'd appeal to anyone who is a fan of the series and likes the characters...

Quote:
NA is not the anime supporting market, we're the scum suckers! Or do I mean bottom feeders?

Wouldn't bottom feeders just be getting the leftover, unwanted stuff that's not consumed by those above? We seem to be getting a lot of the good titles from all of the US companies...

Quote:
Come on, AoA. I have money, give me something to spend it on.

They've given me Durarara!! on DVD and Madoka (which was a double-dip purchase). I'd have bought Baccano! BD and would be buying Drrr!! BD if I hadn't already imported them. Their only other released titles (as listed on TRSI) are Blue Exorcist, the Gurren Lagann movies, OreImo, and ROD BD, with Bakemonogatari soon and Kara no Kyoukai DVD at some point further out. That's still a fairly small selection. Other companies have released a few Aniplex titles, too. Which Aniplex titles that you like haven't been given a US release yet? In the meantime, keep buying from Funi, Viz, ADV, NISA and Nozomi.

Quote:
Oh, and they're streaming it. If I hadn't already seen it then I'd be interested to see the show, to find out if it was worth buying. But unlike Madoka, AoA box sets are real limited editions so good luck with that.

I'll probably watch the CR streams to get a better idea of what it's all about. I've also pre-ordered the BD set. If I watch the streams, I should be able to see at least half of the episodes before the BD set's release date, and if I find myself not liking the series, I'll just cancel the order.

Quote:
Then they can pull an Oreimo with "While we said it was only going to be in print for awhile, what we meant was..."

You don't like it when "regular edition" releases follow "limited edition" versions? That's what some of the other US companies do, too.

Quote:
What a great company, you know, for fans.

That's true. They're still a bit light on titles, but they're doing a fairly good job. They're not perfect, but I don't think that most of the other US companies are, either.

Rukiia wrote:
I will watch Bakemono on Crunchyroll and see if its worth the price.

You won't be alone, I'm sure.

Quote:
Otherwise, I personally think it is a rip off to have the price the same as DRR!! when it has less episodes and you aren't getting any extras with it.

Drrr!!'s cheap because it's a re-release of sorts, while this is the first time for Bakemonogatari. No extras? You missed the mention of the included booklet and the discs' commentaries? Some people would also consider the chipboard box to be an extra, too (when Aniplex usually has just had the paper sleeves, if anything).
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Pass. No dub, no like. Not that I care for the special features and the simple fact they have an average of three episodes per BD but I have standards to maintain.

It's a good show, sure but it's not a good release. It's a box set of Japanese releases with Japanese special features; NA is not the anime supporting market, we're the scum suckers!

Or do I mean bottom feeders?

Come on, AoA. I have money, give me something to spend it on. I dare you. They're cowards, so afraid of the actual market that they chart exactly how much they want to make off each release {except for Madoka}.

Oh, and they're streaming it. If I hadn't already seen it then I'd be interested to see the show, to find out if it was worth buying. But unlike Madoka, AoA box sets are real limited editions so good luck with that.

Then they can pull an Oreimo with "While we said it was only going to be in print for awhile, what we meant was..."

What a great company, you know, for fans.

This IS NOT a Japanese import release, it's a local made item. If it was an import, it would be $300, not $150.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6