• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Haruhi Novel Slated for October in North America

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote
One of these days I have to check out the novels... Has anyone read them? Are they any good?
Ligene

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
One of these days I have to check out the novels... Has anyone read them? Are they any good?

While I'm hardly a big Haruhi fan, I enjoyed the first one. The sentence structure was a little awkward, but it got the point across nonetheless.
se37

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
The Haruhi Novel's are the masterpiece for the series. It's a great novel and I didn't really have any problems with it, I'm glad they are going into the other books because the 2nd Novel hasn't been animated yet, though the novel is really good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
Hmm... why are they taking so long between each release? I wonder if they were waiting to see the sales from the first one before they decided to put out the second? Not sure there was enough lead time to make that the reason, though...

Curious. Confused
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Hmm... why are they taking so long between each release? I wonder if they were waiting to see the sales from the first one before they decided to put out the second? Not sure there was enough lead time to make that the reason, though...

Curious. Confused

Light novels don't quite take the same amount of time to translate and proofread as manga...
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
I saw the anime back when it aired in Japan 3 years ago and I read the light novel a week after its release in the USA earlier this April.
To be honest, I don't know if it was the writing style or the translation; but the light novel's presentation was somewhat awkward and stilted; while the anime's presentation was very fluid and smoothly executed.

But the anime's first six chronological order episodes are very closely adapted from the novel, sans a few minor details here and there.
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
The Haruhi Novel's are the masterpiece for the series. It's a great novel and I didn't really have any problems with it, I'm glad they are going into the other books because the 2nd Novel hasn't been animated yet, though the novel is really good.

i was reading quick excerpt from Wikipedia and the second novel is story about the making of the movie for the school festival...

i can't wait to read the background story of making of The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina...

only problem i had with first novel is that TV series pretty much followed the novel word for word....

other than that, it was enjoyable reading...it was nice to read the original source and see where the TV series came from....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
Alright, heck yeah! Smile
Lonecow

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
se37 wrote:

i was reading quick excerpt from Wikipedia and the second novel is story about the making of the movie for the school festival...

i can't wait to read the background story of making of The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina...

only problem i had with first novel is that TV series pretty much followed the novel word for word....

other than that, it was enjoyable reading...it was nice to read the original source and see where the TV series came from....

It is great. I have a theory that the reason the show starts off with the Movie is that in case the show didn't take off the staff just wanted to see for themselves what the final product of the movie would look like because the show never shows them making the movie and the book never shows the final product. The two complement each other really well. Plus the comedy in the second book is the best so far (but I haven't read them all yet either).

The only thing annoying about the books is that since it is all from Kyon's perspective he says the same thing about how much Haruhi drives him crazy and how she is so horrible, yet he goes along with everything she says so it makes him look spinless. The anime handles him better by making him seem like he actually cares about her more and that is why he constantly involves himself in SOS dealings. But in the books he comes off as a wimp to me for some reason.
rxreika

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Hmm... why are they taking so long between each release?

The first book was released in April, so I don't think waiting another six months for the second book is that long. You should join us in the camp waiting for Tokyopop's translations of 12 Kingdoms novels -- we're lucky if we get one a year.

Also, the bigger publishing companies don't wait for sales figures to come out to determine whether or not they're releasing a title. It takes time to translate and proofread the volume, yes, but there's also the process of announcing the title to the market and all the wonderful sales activities behind the scenes. That's the reason for the gap between volumes.
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
A question for the owners of the Hard Cover edition.
Does the Hard Cover edition contains the Normal edition image anywhere in the novel?
I mean this image.

http://www.fishatlas.net/girochin/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/haruhi_book_01_s.jpg

Because in my opinion the HC edition`s cover sucks compared to the original cover, and I just wanted to know if what is supposed to be the cover is anywhere around the HC edition... Or not at all...

Thanks in advance.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
A question for the owners of the Hard Cover edition.
Does the Hard Cover edition contains the Normal edition image anywhere in the novel?
I mean this image.

http://www.fishatlas.net/girochin/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/haruhi_book_01_s.jpg

Because in my opinion the HC edition`s cover sucks compared to the original cover, and I just wanted to know if what is supposed to be the cover is anywhere around the HC edition... Or not at all...

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the HC edition`s cover sucks compared to the original cover" since the front of the hard-cover edition has the same image as the one you posted except that the Japanese script has been translated into English.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0316039012/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
rxreika wrote:
The first book was released in April, so I don't think waiting another six months for the second book is that long. You should join us in the camp waiting for Tokyopop's translations of 12 Kingdoms novels -- we're lucky if we get one a year.

Yikes. Does it really take a year to translate a novel? I don't know. I know how fast it takes to proofread one, but I've never been involved with translation.

rxreika wrote:
Also, the bigger publishing companies don't wait for sales figures to come out to determine whether or not they're releasing a title. It takes time to translate and proofread the volume, yes, but there's also the process of announcing the title to the market and all the wonderful sales activities behind the scenes. That's the reason for the gap between volumes.

Yes, a good point. I'm used to working with smaller publishing companies that can afford to do stuff like that. Little, Brown is too much of a behemoth for that to work, though. Sad

The reason for the gap I totally understand, but the only reason to not immediately begin working on the next novel once the previous goes off to the printer is from being understaffed (which I also understand). I guess I just assumed that a company sitting on a miniature gold mine like the Haruhi novels would want to put out an aggressive release schedule to try to capture the market before it begins to dwindle. My hope is that they work out the issues that delayed the 2nd book and start cranking them out. Smile

Unless, of course, translating really does take a lot longer than I think it should... Wink
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised we're even getting the second novel. I'm not getting my hopes up for any others, but I'll buy at least one copy of Sigh when it comes out (I bought 2 of Melencholy. One Hardcover, one Paperback. If Sigh is released the same way, I'll buy 2 of it as well)
leoval

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
The novels are really fun if you know that you are not reading a classic and go with the flow.

I read all the available novels on the internet already, however I also bought the official one to show my support (and suppress my feeling of guilt). I'll buy the rest too when they are realesed here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2