• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network Adds Online Subscription Tier for Videos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Ahahaha... what the hell? You guys are actually supporting this? ADV, a company that is surviving by a few thin threads, is actually moving their player to a mostly subscription-based setup?

Oh yeah, that's smart. That's sure to pull everyone watching subbed AND dubbed anime on FUNi's player away. Hey kids! I bet you love all that free and legal online anime, don't ya? Well, check this out! Now you can pay for your anime again!

To think I actually thought ADV was trying to turn itself around, but it just can't play ball anymore. May it rest in peace as the former shell of what it once was.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I will direct you to this

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d0960f18-4303-11de-b793-00144feabdc0.html

Funimation may have to move to the model that ADV is using now on future releases. As the Free with ad-revenues by itself is not strong enough to support the medium.

Which is why it's a combination, currently existing shows for free plus a preview of new series for free but moving forward new content will follow the model of you have to either be a registered member or subscriber, with subscribers getting the first go at seeing the series.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
I will direct you to this

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d0960f18-4303-11de-b793-00144feabdc0.html

Funimation may have to move to the model that ADV is using now on future releases. As the Free with ad-revenues by itself is not strong enough to support the medium.

Which is why it's a combination, currently existing shows for free plus a preview of new series for free but moving forward new content will follow the model of you have to either be a registered member or subscriber, with subscribers getting the first go at seeing the series.

Regardless of whether FUNi may or may not move to the ADV model, they still offer more. ADV only has their backlot to advertise, whereas FUNi and Crunchyroll have brand new material as well.

I can't see this working out though, not with the fanbase the way it has become.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
For kicks, I checked out about half the series on the video.

That's around 15-20 different series.

I found a grand total of THREE that I could watch "free" the first episode: Azumanga Daioh, Mezzo DSA, and... Gokujou Seitokai (Best Student Council).

To even an aging show like "Diamond Daydreams", they expect me to pay 6.95/mo. just to watch the first episode?

ADV, this is really really stupid. I could understand you putting up episodes 1-4 for free, then 5-8 for registered, and 9+ for "premium", but this will not fly.

FUNimation and C-Roll are already offering free anime and heck, I could watch those shows on this very site if I wanted to.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
For kicks, I checked out about half the series on the video.

That's around 15-20 different series.

I found a grand total of THREE that I could watch "free" the first episode: Azumanga Daioh, Mezzo DSA, and... Gokujou Seitokai (Best Student Council).

To even an aging show like "Diamond Daydreams", they expect me to pay 6.95/mo. just to watch the first episode?

ADV, this is really really stupid. I could understand you putting up episodes 1-4 for free, then 5-8 for registered, and 9+ for "premium", but this will not fly.

FUNimation and C-Roll are already offering free anime and heck, I could watch those shows on this very site if I wanted to.

Well if you haven't seen it before then it's "new" to you. Also, ADV had some anime announcements that they couldn't make due to holidays in Japan. It is possible that those titles will show up on Anime Network.

Netflix: $10/month (approx)
Crunchyroll: $6/95/month, $59.95/year

Similar prices. Just get used to the fact that what once was for free is not going to be any longer.

If you save a quarter a day. you'll have enough for a month's membership.

ANN also has a subscription service too.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Tue May 19, 2009 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

I'd be curious if the paid subscription service is available to those outside the U.S. For it's these folks who may be the targeted audience willing to pay for the service.
Their player is US/Canada only.

Quote:

I also noticed that one can watch the first 4 episodes of Magical Play[i] on this site for no cost versus having to pay to watch it on AN's website.
They moved a ton of formerly free content into free for 2-3 eps, pay to watch the rest. About half of the content on that site was formerly free or can be found free legally elsewhere. This is a rather different model than CR as there is no suggestion they plan on making these episodes free ever.

LordRedhand wrote:
This is a smart move in the right direction (gives free with advertisements to make back but also add a direct revenue stream for new titles immediately.)

Except they have 0 outside ads.

Quote:
As to downloads I'd first see them as something seperate fro,m this and a DTO model where you are paying a nominal fee per episode.
Many of these are available on other services in DTO form. (itunes, XBL, etc)

hikaru004 wrote:
Rolando_jose wrote:
Access can be denied if you live in a weird region... like me. :evil:

Then complain to the Japanese owner of the title and not ADV.
No, this is ADV's fault. They use some screwed up geo-detection system that doesn't work properly.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Unlike Crunchyroll, Anime Network doesn't show with illlegal fan subs.
There haven't been any fansubs on CR for a while now.

But at one point Crunchy Roll DID have illegal fansubs. They can deny this all they want, but the truth will [i]always
remain the same.

I really hope this work's out for ADV. They've licensed some of my favorite shows over the years and have always listended to the fans.

Last edited by Teriyaki Terrier on Tue May 19, 2009 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

But at one point Crunchy Roll DID have illegal fansubs. They can deny this all they want, but the truth will always remain the same.

I really hope this work's out for ADV. They've licensed some of my favorite shows over the years and have always listended to the fans.

So what? It's what Crunchyroll is doing now that's relevant. We wouldn't be having as much streaming as we do now without Crunchyroll being around.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
About the 0 outside ads, while most of them I saw were for the Anime Network itself, I did see one for the Navy. So I think they just get shuffled around.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

But at one point Crunchy Roll DID have illegal fansubs. They can deny this all they want, but the truth will always remain the same.

So what? It's what Crunchyroll is doing now that's relevant. We wouldn't be having as much streaming as we do now without Crunchyroll being around.

But at what cost? How many hard working people lost their jobs because of free streaming sites like Crunchyroll? Yes times have changed, but the people who lost their jobs, still lost their jobs.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Well if you haven't seen it before then it's "new" to you. Also, ADV had some anime announcements that they couldn't make due to holidays in Japan. It is possible that those titles will show up on Anime Network.

Similar prices. Just get used to the fact that what once was for free is not going to be any longer.

Here's the difference between CR's subscription and ADV's subscription. You don't have to subscribe to CR to watch the majority of what's on their site. You get a better picture and you get to watch simulcasts the week they come out while everyone else waits a week to see it for free, but you are not blocked the majority of their content.

Again, moving away from idealism for a minute... do people honestly believe that the majority of anime fandom are going to be cool with this?
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

But at what cost? How many hard working people lost their jobs because of free streaming sites like Crunchyroll? Yes times have changed, but the people who lost their jobs, still lost their jobs.

Times change, and jobs become obsolete. It's the nature of progress. Deal with it.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Here's the difference between CR's subscription and ADV's subscription. You don't have to subscribe to CR to watch the majority of what's on their site. You get a better picture and you get to watch simulcasts the week they come out while everyone else waits a week to see it for free, but you are not blocked the majority of their content.

Again, moving away from idealism for a minute... do people honestly believe that the majority of anime fandom are going to be cool with this?

There's a time delay for the back episodes of certain titles (eg. Shuga Chara!) on CR so that it takes a while to catch up from ep. 1 if you're not a member. Plus, CR managed to get 10,000 subscribers so alot are cool with the subscription concept. ADV just got to get the titles that people want that's all.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
They should have put their titles all on CR rather than trying to do it themselves. They have never gotten their online players to work right from the start. I doubt they will have very many paid subscribers because of this one main issue. If they had outsourced the handling of the videos to another company altogether and instead focused on licensing and distribution, they could have had a winner - but they do what every other loser company does - tries to reinvent and control the wheel for themselves, and do a poor job at it. If you want to re-invent the wheel and control it, you have to do a BETTER job at it, not a piss poor one.

CR blew past the 10k, 15k and 20k marks already. They may reach that 40k mark before the start of the summer and have reached their 3 year goal in just a span of months. If they can get the licensing cleared up for several other countries, they will jump to the low million mark for subscribers overnight.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
ADV (or any other distributor for that matter) can't just take their titles that they have, go to CR and go "Here you go, show our titles!" As then they don't get the experience of running a streaming media service, which they need to have and also to negotiate for which may limit the regions where they can distribute to (thus another thing stopping them from going to CR.) This has to be something they have to do themselves as if it's outsourced then if something goes wrong, you have to wait for the outsourcer to get in contact with the original company, where this way if there is a problem you can contact ADV directly. (i.e. it becomes their problem not the group they outsourced to.) So this is growing pains as they are restructuring to meet fan demand and they need to be in control of that as a company to have tighter control of the process as oppossed to outsourcing it.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
ADV (or any other distributor for that matter) can't just take their titles that they have, go to CR and go "Here you go, show our titles!"

As long as they have the digital rights, they could.
Quote:
As then they don't get the experience of running a streaming media service, which they need to have and also to negotiate for which may limit the regions where they can distribute to (thus another thing stopping them from going to CR.)
This makes no sense. Why do they need to run a streaming service? The whole point of Hulu, Itunes, etc is that you give someone else the content and they handle all the technical issues for you and share the revenue with you. Just because you are streaming it doesn't mean you get additional regions. On youtube/CR, etc, the licensor dictates which regions are allowed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3