Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece Season 4 Part I DVD


Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vashthekaizoku



Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 261
Location: The House of Rat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm not sure if next set will be the start of Water7. Pretty sure there is that Rainbow Mist stuff next.


I forgot about that. spoiler[The Aokiji fight and his warnings about Robin ]are when it really gets interesting. And I knew that spoiler[ seeing Doflamingo for the first time ] was around this point. I just forgot when he first appeared.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ankoku22



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 73
Location: the American midwest
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:


I almost agree, but isn't this the first time we've seen spoiler[Doflamingo]? I guess I'd append it to "watch the first episode and whatever's on the next set," just because of two characters.



spoiler[Doflamingo's] first appearance is a whole season back in episode 151 on Season Three First Voyage. He appears spoiler[with fellow Warlord of the Sea, Bartholomew Kuma, in a government meeting at Mariejois. There, Doflamingo uses his mysterious finger/string/puppetry technique to toy with some Marines for his amusement.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AgitoZ



Joined: 05 Jan 2012
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to Davy Back Fight, the anime adds quite a lot of unnecessary filler, extending the arc into larger length than it should.

Also, it's not as if this arc is entirely pointless, the events that directly follow the climatic fight are extremely important for the next arc. The best way to describe it is a breather arc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fullmetal_Jedi



Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 12
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, just read the manga. It's far superior to the One Piece anime.


I don't understand why ANN always reviews the most random parts of One Piece....they never review the really awesome volumes. I mean I love the entire series, but they never review any of the really story heavy volumes.

The overall series review is horribly dated and most of it doesn't fit when you read up to the current chapters.

I know reviews really don't mean anything, but One Piece has an A story...and it would be nice to see it acknowledged. It's not just super popular, it's an amazing story. My favorite manga series of all time.


Davy Back Fight in the manga really didn't drag. I haven't watched the anime up tot his point so I can't say really. I just know it was a necessary transition from Skypiea to Water Seven and introduced a key character at the end of the arc foreshadowing things to come.


I don't think One Piece "doesn't get good" until later. I think saying "it doesn't get good until later" really doesn't do justice to the arcs preceding Water Seven. Admittedly, the series just keeps getting better, but the Arlong arc was amazing as were a number of other early story arcs.

All my knowledge of the series comes from the manga. I honestly think that to give One Piece a fair shake you have to check out the manga.

Long running shonen manga series never really transition to a great long running anime in my opinion. So much is lost in translation. The only way it can work is when the series is adapted to an anime much later, eliminating not only the need for actually filler episodes, but also the need for shoddy cheap animation (it costs a lot to produce 600 episodes so unfortunately the overall quality of the animation is lower than in shorter series) and really slow pacing.

The manga is much, much better. Consistent art vs. inconsistent animation. Quick pace vs. slooooow pace of the anime.


The 4kids dub was a travesty, not only because of the ridiculous edits, but also because it cut CANON story arcs. The 4kids dub was objectively horrible. They removed story arcs, characters, and scenes, which would have caused major issues later on. If you're only on the Davy Back Fight you wouldn't be aware that there are characters removed that would have presented huge pot holes in later story arcs. It's horrible because it removes big chunks of the story written by Oda. One Piece is NOT just a saturday morning cartoon for little kids. Some people may see it that way...but they'd be wrong. In fact, the large majority of volume sales for One Piece in Japan are for people over the age of 18. It has entertaining characters, a very engaging story, and the story moves along at a great pace. It's not too late to catch up in the manga. We're still only at the halfway point 681 chapters in (in my opinion less than halway), so there's plenty of story left to be told.


I read One Piece every week and I'm never disappointed. Just follow along online scans and buy later. It's much better that way. I have all 64 viz volumes and have followed along weekly since Water Seven.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hitokiri Kenshin



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 271
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Vata Raven]I bought them thinking it would be like the 4Kids dub, but nope, not at all. I don't remember that dub dragging on so damn much. In fact, I liked 4kids dub so much more then Funimation's. Simple fact, I know for a fact that they took out filler episodes that didn't have to do with the story.[/quote]

They also cut episodes that weren't filler that would be pivotal in some things later on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SereneChaos



Joined: 14 Oct 2011
Posts: 384
Location: Middle of Nowhere, USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal_Jedi wrote:
I don't understand why ANN always reviews the most random parts of One Piece....they never review the really awesome volumes. I mean I love the entire series, but they never review any of the really story heavy volumes.

The overall series review is horribly dated and most of it doesn't fit when you read up to the current chapters.

This is the most recent release in the US, so they're as caught up as they can be unless they review streams.

Fullmetal_Jedi wrote:
I know reviews really don't mean anything, but One Piece has an A story...and it would be nice to see it acknowledged. It's not just super popular, it's an amazing story. My favorite manga series of all time.

Davy Back Fight in the manga really didn't drag. I haven't watched the anime up tot his point so I can't say really. I just know it was a necessary transition from Skypiea to Water Seven and introduced a key character at the end of the arc foreshadowing things to come.

Overall it might be an A, but this review is only of the episodes in this set and the Davy Back Fight is definitely not story heavy. Even in the manga it was pretty much filler. Entertaining filler but filler nonetheless. It could have been completely cut out and few things would need to be reworked to stay true to the story.

Davy Back Fight is probably the only arc I would skip when rereading/watching the series. When marathoning the manga, this was the only arc I didn't feel like reading 3 volumes a day. Seeing it once is good enough for me. I don't need to see it again.

Fullmetal_Jedi wrote:
I read One Piece every week and I'm never disappointed. Just follow along online scans and buy later. It's much better that way. I have all 64 viz volumes and have followed along weekly since Water Seven.

I disagree. I've found One Piece to be much more enjoyable when reading in large chunks. Waiting a week for a chapter killed the suspense and atmosphere for me. Even reading it as the volumes comes out isn't enough, I need a complete arc to read all at once to really enjoy it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Son-kun



Joined: 01 Jun 2006
Posts: 345
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd honestly like to see a review of a manga volume at some point. I usually stream the anime and the buy the manga volumes as they come out. The anime is enjoyable and honestly, for anyone that thinks the anime drags at the earlier Alabasta/Skypiea material, it gets worse. spoiler[The whole War of Marineford arc 3-4 volumes of material takes about 57 or so episodes to get through. All of Sabaody through the end of the first half is about 10-11 volumes worth of material stretched into 129+ episodes (that includes the previous mentioned Marineford episodes). At the expense of not getting any filler, it seems Toei likes to stretch 1 manga chapter (17-20 pages) per episode on average. It's a double edged sword. No filler, but longer than necessary scenes.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MasterKingJC



Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 366
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
I have bought and watched the first 5 collection sets, thinking it was good, but it's not. People keep saying, "keep watching, it gets better." That's a bunch of BS. When does the series get better? I was in 150+ episodes, it shouldn't take that long to get better. They take so long to tell a story and they always go to the background characters that don't mean a thing to the story.

I bought them thinking it would be like the 4Kids dub, but nope, not at all. I don't remember that dub dragging on so damn much. In fact, I liked 4kids dub so much more then Funimation's. Simple fact, I know for a fact that they took out filler episodes that didn't have to do with the story.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gyt Kaliba



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 708
Location: Arkansas
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
AgitoZ wrote:
Also, it's not as if this arc is entirely pointless, the events that directly follow the climatic fight are extremely important for the next arc. The best way to describe it is a breather arc.


That's how I look at it, and I actually think a breather arc was a nice change of pace.

To explain myself better - I've been a One Piece fan for a good while now (pretty much ever since FUNimation saved it), after disliking it based on the 4Kids dub for a long time before that. But until very recently, I had only seen through Alabasta in the anime (that's still as far as I've seen), and then read Skypiea in the manga. I'm now in the very end of Water Seven/start of CP9 in the manga.

Reading through the Davy Back Fight was enjoyable but also a little...yeah...like others have said. It feels very much like filler. But honestly, by the time I got through it and back into what is clearly turning into another larger, longer arc, I found I had enjoyed the short little breath of fresh air.

I mean, reading through the manga again, I noticed that it's pretty much right from Alabasta (which even in the manga is the equivalent to Namek in DBZ, I swear I was so happy to get out of the sand land when it was over) into Skypiea, since Jaya is really just the start of that. So that was TWO major, long running arcs right after the other. And here we're poised into another one - the nice little breather arc helped me not just get burnt out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group