• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Resident Evil Films' Anderson: Monster Hunter Film in Planning

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh no! Now we will have Stupid Characters who over shadow the real characters from the source game. >_> instead of Ratholos we will get a Monster with a Stupid back story and a dumbass weapons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Paul Anderson is one of my least favorite directors ever and the fact that he wants to make more bad video game movies saddens me.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Why? Was Uwe Boll too busy?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Besides, the Monster Hunter franchise isn't well-known in the West. There's no game harm to be done.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
^Just because MH is not as popular in the West is no excuse to let someone like Anderson bastardize it. With any luck he will cast, his wife, Jollovich as the lead because she obviously cant get any other work.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Welp, that's Anderson off RE from now on, can't have someone who knows MH exists touching capcom's #1 son.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
I'm sure it'll suck, but maybe it'll have some nice cosplay in it.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
Isn't this kind of a good thing, though? Regardless of the quality of the films, if they do pretty well, doesn't that mean we actually get Monster Hunter games over here when it was spotty at best before? I don't care for the Resident Evil films either, but they didn't exactly hurt the games (...maybe some would say that's arguable, but we did get RE4 afterwards, and the direction things have headed after that I'd say are more due to other factors).
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:09 am Reply with quote
Does Monster Hunter have a deep story? If not, I can see this being somewhat successful if budgeted properly. Just take the most baddest monsters from the games and a cliche group of teenagers wanting to hunt them all down, and its done. Just matters if its done right.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Does Monster Hunter have a deep story? If not, I can see this being somewhat successful if budgeted properly. Just take the most baddest monsters from the games and a cliche group of teenagers wanting to hunt them all down, and its done. Just matters if its done right.

So how in the hell will Anderson write in his Mary Sue wank fantasy whore wife Milla Jovovich into this film? She can't exactly pass off as a teenager.....

On the bright side at least Uwe Boll isn't in charge.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Haterater wrote:

So how in the hell will Anderson write in his Mary Sue wank fantasy whore wife Milla Jovovich into this film? She can't exactly pass off as a teenager.....

Does it have to be a teenager?
Ginrai1984

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
so this means that the "demon cycle"-novels[*] are safe from paul W.S anderson!?

NICE,but for MH fans this might feel like a kick in the pants.

*= a western dark fantasy series written by peter v brett

book 1~the painted man
book 2~the desert spear
book 3~the daylight war[forthcoming]
Sylontack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Really no need to be so critical.
You guys sound like hipsters, Monster Hunter really isn't that "Underground".

And just saying but I like both the RE games and the RE films as two seperate franchises. Don't even try to deny how awesome the Executioner vs. Alice&Claire fight scene is.
Also Milla Jovovich is sexy. I don't care how good or bad a film she's in Wink

That being said I don't expect much in a film based off of this type of game, or genre even >.>

And my final point. At least it'll probably look nice. Do you really want another Batman and Robin?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
And just saying but I like both the RE games and the RE films as two seperate franchises. Don't even try to deny how awesome the Executioner vs. Alice&Claire fight scene is.

Problem with Milla/Alice is that she's a hyper Mary Sue character to the extreme. First movie i'll give you, seeing that the story could've fit easily into the whole RE canon, but the following movies just turned into a clusterf**k really fast. She went from a badass "normal" character to some Abnormal Freak in the second film, to an ABSURDLY Abnormal Freak in the movies since then. I'm surprised she hasn't attained GOD MODE status yet.

Combined with the fact she's boinking the director/producer, the haphazard "inclusion" of the VG characters as second tier support characters, and anyone other than Alice in the movies is portrayed as an insipid idiot whom has a 1+1=? mentality lest they "overshadow" Alice's superior intellect, and Milla admitting that the films are being made cause of the money, you have to wonder why people hate the franchise and Jovovich/Anderson.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
Geez, once when the Resident Evil film series is finally over, you're moving onto more video game franchises to insert your wife in as an unnecessary spotlight stealing squad character again like in your Resident Evil series isn't that right, Mr. Anderson?

The Resident Evil film series is basically a horrible OC Mary-Sue insert fanfiction turned into live action and yeah, I can love and accept the first film because it didn't screw up RE canon but the less said about the future films the better. I understand that it shouldn't be a frame for frame adaptation but why have Alice take away all of the attention from canon hero characters like Jill, Chris, Claire, etc? Anderson, you're no fan!

Am I the only one rooting for brainwashed Jill to go take down Alice? If you have seen the new trailers, Sienna Guillory has adapted her RE5 look to a tee and I am hoping that she would finally get something worthy to do and Anderson better not kill off Jill otherwise there will be hell to pay!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1