• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Wii U's Global Launch, Game Lineup Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Meh, not interested. Still seems to be a pretty sub-par system, particularly considering it's the latest generation and years newer than those of their competitors latest. Plus; it's Nintendo, and I had enough of that companies mode of operation years ago and see no reason to see this as being a sign that things will be different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
No racing games? I fail to see a reason to buy this at launch.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh, NOW they finally embrace streaming video?

Why didn't Nintendo do this with the Wii? They know we like the option!
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I second the comment about Monolith, Xenoblade imo has end up in oblivion even with the US release, becasue the Wii was a terrible system and they waited to long after it was dead to be released. Not to mention is capabilities were subpar. Imagine it on the 360/ps3.

Oh and the storage on the system is a joke. They are basically forcing you to go buy an external hard drive that will run you another 100 bucks just so the thing can have a decent amount of space. Then the way they market it is, oh look at us we are good guys allowing external storage to be used, when in reality they are like, pfft suckers, we just passed off the cost of putting in decent storage to the consumer.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I still can't wrap my head around that controller Confused

I mean, If I wanted to play a handheld game I'd play a handheld, but the whole purpose of playing a console game is so you experience game play on a larger screen (that and it normally offers a greater variety of controls). If I'm playing a console game, why would I want a big clunky controller with a screen in it just for the "option" of making it feel portable? Wouldn't I just want to play on my DS instead? I don't get it...

Yeah, I'm having trouble figuring it out myself. A game console which has a game console as a controller? How the hell are you supposed to pay attention to what's going on on the controller and the main screen at the same time?

But hey, I thought the Wii controler was stupid, too.

Still, I doubt I'm going to invest in any more Nintendo consoles. For me, video games will be largely a portable endeavor from here on.

Not to mention, those games don't seem like they're really any more advanced than the existing Wii and 3DS games.

I've remained pretty loyal to Nintendo for years, but this might be it. Nintendo Power is going, WiiU doesn't seem impressive, and I can't even seen the 3D effect on the 3DS. It might be time for me to jump ship.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
$299 and $349 is too much for current gen hardware.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
The only reason why I'd buy the game is for the News Super Smash Brawls game, but if that's gonna be released for the 3DS, I don't see why I would get a Wii U, I don't even use my Wii that much unless I have company or I wanna play Smash Brawls or Mario Kart with my twin sister but other than that it just collects dust, I think I'll just wait until the 3DS releases better games and get that as a new system.
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
*gasp* Arkham City? A new SSB? Cooool. Looking forward to the first Pokemon game announcement, too.

The problem here is, I want a Japanese Wii U so I can play the Japanese versions of the Pokemon games and stuff, but I want Arkham City in English. Is there something that will let me play an American game on a Japanese Wii U?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I could have bought the WiiU Deluxe Version immediately if MH is on Launch, but none of the games on Launch doesn't interest me, I may have to hold things off until the game that interests me comes along. :/
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
$299 and $349 is too much for current gen hardware.

not for a backwards compatible used ps3 IMO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
definitely a strong lineup. I'm really wondering what Nintendo will have in the future for the console and how different implementations of the gamepad could be.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Oh, NOW they finally embrace streaming video?

Why didn't Nintendo do this with the Wii? They know we like the option!

For the Wii, Nintendo just wanted to make purely a gaming system. That's why the lack of even a DVD player.

But one can't do that nowadays, and Nintendo knows that, so they changed tactic. Entertainment devices have to be multiple things at once now, especially internet contents.

CrownKlown wrote:

Oh and the storage on the system is a joke. They are basically forcing you to go buy an external hard drive that will run you another 100 bucks just so the thing can have a decent amount of space. Then the way they market it is, oh look at us we are good guys allowing external storage to be used, when in reality they are like, pfft suckers, we just passed off the cost of putting in decent storage to the consumer.

Heh, I have so many extra hard drives lying around that I don't know what to do with. Laughing
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
I haven't decided yet if I'll end up getting one of these. Frankly I'm still quite enjoying my Wii and have enough games to keep me going.

It will probably go like the 3DS for me: once there is a game I really want to play, I will go out and get it. But I definitely will not be buying it at launch.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
The thing is, outside of Bayonetta 2 (dammit) all the games here run just fine on a 360 or PS3. In fact, most of them, people have played on those systems. I don't think people will buy Mass Effect 3 again unless they do change the ending this time. Same with Arkham City. Awesome game, but most beat it months ago.

And then when 720 and PS4 hit, Wii U will again be behind the curve.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Meh, not interested. Still seems to be a pretty sub-par system, particularly considering it's the latest generation and years newer than those of their competitors latest. Plus; it's Nintendo, and I had enough of that companies mode of operation years ago and see no reason to see this as being a sign that things will be different.

I am also not interested either, as to me this just reminds me of a larger Nintendo DS. That and the fact I think it's pretty sub par for the price of that system.

Given that this is Nintendo we are talking about and I also have had more than enough with their methods years ago as well. Given the similarities this product has and the fact I am not at all impressed leaves me thinking that this unit won't be much difference with Nintendo.

I would like to play Dragon Quest X, but oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3