• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Only Yesterday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
The version of Only Yesterday that I have--which I'm fairly certain is legal--is a Region 2 PAL 16:9 anamorphic release from an outfit called Optimum Releasing. Included on the disc are storyboards and a Making Of featurette along with some Ghibli trailers. This same company also released a Region 2 PAL DVD for Horus Prince of the Sun under the title "Little Norse Prince." I would be aware of neither of these things were it not for the efforts of this crazy Irish cat from the Internet.

Man. It's been nearly 15 years since I first saw this movie, and about three since I last rewatched it (for the sake of the AWO review of it over here). But of all the Ghibli films, this is one I commonly cite as "the best" if forced to pick one. I'll bet I still have my old VHS fansub of this from the "PoroPoro Project," a group of fans (some of whom I've since met...I think) that gathered together for the sole purpose of acquiring, translating, and releasing a high-quality fan translated version of Omohide Poro Poro. This was perhaps among the second batch of fansubs that I ever requested during my teenage years back in the mid-1990s as I was trying to acquire all the Ghibli films I'd heard so much about.

I don't know if it was the reputation which preceded it, but I recall instantly taking a liking to the movie despite the fact that there's not a whole lot in there for a then 15 year-old guy to relate to. After all, it's an animated movie meant primarily for "middle-aged" adults, which in Japan is considered to be like...25 or however old Taeko is. Looking back, I think what intrigued me was the fact that there was virtually no fantasy elements whatsoever. It was an animated movie that could easily have just been a live-action film. Such a thing is a novelty when it's among the first anime you ever see. Heck, it's STILL a novelty.

Those 2 R2 DVD's you have from the UK are definitely legit as Optimum are the official UK distributor for all things Studio Ghibli which is why we were able to get to see Tales of Earthsea here in the cinemas as well as on DVD unlike the US because of the crappy mini series by Sci-Fi.

Their releases are pretty good especially as certain ones contain extras that aren't on the Disney DVD releases.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Those 2 R2 DVD's you have from the UK are definitely legit as Optimum are the official UK distributor for all things Studio Ghibli which is why we were able to get to see Tales of Earthsea here in the cinemas as well as on DVD unlike the US because of the crappy mini series by Sci-Fi.

Their releases are pretty good especially as certain ones contain extras that aren't on the Disney DVD releases.

Seconded - but note their releases (and R2 releases generally) are made in the PAL system and will NOT play in NTSC-only USA DVD players. A multi-system player (PAL/SECAM/NTSC) is recommended and available cheaply in the UK thankfully. Region-free of course Smile

Nico M Twisted Evil
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
I really need to finish watching this after seeing the review~
Brought the HK version vcds along with the rest of the Ghibli movies about 6 yrs ago and went through a ghibli binge. Can't remember why I didn't finish this one though...(probably high school starting)
It didn't seem particularly boring to me even as a teenager and I found the discussion about menustration surprisingly honest rather than gross.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
I love this film! Smile Definitely the best Ghibli piece in my opinion, but unfortunately, slice-of-life animes are doomed to obscurity, buried under hundreds of ninjas, pirates, soul reapers, ougis, and so forth.

It is also available from Madman in Australia, with a "making of" bonus feature included. Very Happy

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?releaseId=3372&method=view

Edit: It's quite reasonably-priced at CD Japan - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWDZ-8024

Import stores usually charge about USD$57 for titles as obscure as this.

Last edited by HyugaHinata on Thu May 21, 2009 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Jacut

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
By far the best Takahata film, that is inexplicably underrated and easily overlooked even by fans of the Studio that prefer movies such as Grave of the Fireflies. And not even released in France (where I live and where Ghibli enjoys a phenomenal success), along with Mimi wo Sumaseba, one of my very favourite movies also. Good thing you made a "Buried treasure" out of this particular one Justin Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:02 am Reply with quote
A fantastic review of a beautiful, affecting, intelligent and memorable movie - in terms of genuinely remarkable anime films, I'd put it right up there with the likes of Totoro, Millennium Actress and Memories.

I might just have to re-watch it tonight.

BorgmanJayce wrote:

Agreed. Optimum also announced last year that they'd licensed Ocean Waves - the one Ghibli film other than Ponyo that they've not yet released in the UK - but, unfortunately, there's still no release date as far as I can tell.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:43 am Reply with quote
Hey Justin, are you ever going to do a review of something "R6" or rarer? Don't get me wrong, this week's review was superb, and I heartily agree with the choice of title. But I was wondering if you were ever going to get into the buried of the buried, the treasure above treasures, the Pandora's box of obscurity . . . You follow? I mean, what's the point in having a scale that goes that far if you never stretch it a bit?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:17 am Reply with quote
Isn't Only Yesterday also available for sale in Canada if you sought out a legal North American release? I know there's no way the film will be released in the U.S. by Disney since it's different from most films it has rights to from Ghibli. But I remember hearing that the title was available in Canada.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
This is really one of the forgotten Ghibli movies. I imported my copy from Japan, where it arrived at almost exactly the same time as the UK release came out.

While it lacks the more fantastic air of the better known Ghibli movies, it's an excellent film which anyone who considers themselves a Studio Ghibli fan should watch. It's just a shame that US viewers are denied a film which has had a DVD release in pretty much all the other English-speaking regions of the world! (Mind you, with the number of things which come out in R1 but not in R2, it's unusual to see the tables turned!)

If there's justification for release in the UK, or Australia, then surely there should be justification for this film's release in the US. Or is it really the rumoured 'Disney girls don't bleed' justification?

I'd classify this film as 'Anime for grown-ups'. It has all the loved Ghibli tropes of tradition and a reverence of nature, and is pure 'slice of life' - a young woman dissatisfied with her life, reminisces about her past and finds a better future.

Hopefully reviews like this one will help the film find a wider audience.

Do The Ocean Waves next - that's the other 'forgotten' Ghibli movie!
Phibby

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Hey Justin, are you ever going to do a review of something "R6" or rarer? Don't get me wrong, this week's review was superb, and I heartily agree with the choice of title. But I was wondering if you were ever going to get into the buried of the buried, the treasure above treasures, the Pandora's box of obscurity . . . You follow? I mean, what's the point in having a scale that goes that far if you never stretch it a bit?

He's featured at least one R7 (Hideaki Anno Talks to Kids) and one R6 (Bobby's in Deep) in the past. There are probably others that I'm forgetting, but there's two.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
Phibby wrote:
He's featured at least one R7 (Hideaki Anno Talks to Kids) and one R6 (Bobby's in Deep) in the past. There are probably others that I'm forgetting, but there's two.

Hey thanks. Hmmm, I notice that both columns were from 2007, which is likely the reason why I didn't know they existed. Hopefully Justin will grace us with another rare title soon. Although, I suppose the more obscure the title the harder it is for him to be able to view it, but hey. Even just a "R6" would be pretty cool. I don't know why, but great Anime that is near impossible to get hold of excites me. I think it's the thrill of the hunt or something.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
but note their releases (and R2 releases generally) are made in the PAL system and will NOT play in NTSC-only USA DVD players. A multi-system player (PAL/SECAM/NTSC) is recommended and available cheaply in the UK thankfully. Region-free of course Smile

I think all modern DVD players are NTSC/PAL capable. Cheaper to mass-produce them for the whole world, then just change the region setting. Or maybe it's just that the Philippine market is small enough that importing an NTSC-only player when our neighbours use PAL isn't cost-effective.
sakuya_masaki

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
I saw this movie a few years ago and still hope in vain for Disney to release it. And I agree w/a previous statement that if they can do PomPoko in the US, they can do this movie. It's such a great movie and I'm very happy to see it in the Buried Treasures column.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
Another big fan of OY speaking up here, saying thanks to Justin for highlighting it. You mentioned that it's surprising they made an adult drama as an animated film, but wasn't this movie intended originally to be live-action? I don't want to start any false rumors, but I thought I heard that it was only animated because the budget wasn't there for a LA production.

Man, I really wish Japan did more animated films like this one. Now to go re-watch my DVD of it (recorded from TCM Smile).
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
hmm... I'm pretty sure my copy is an illegal copy since it works in all my DVD players. I was a multi-movie DVD Ghibli pack that has 8 or 9 Ghibli movies in 4 or 5 DVD packs. (Sorry, hadn't watched it in a while) It had like Totoro, Nasuicaa, that one with the pig, some story about this guys who meets this really demanding girl, Whispers of the heart (is that the title?), mononoke, Laputa, Grave of the Fireflys and this movie. Oh and the one with the Tanukis and giant testicles.

I got it as a christmas present from my Brother-in-law and sister. My brother was super jealous. I watched my favorites like Totoro, Mononoke, and Nasuicaa many times. Eventually I decided to watch all the movies even though I wasn't familiar with them. My taste in anime wasn't as broad back then but I found myself really enjoying this movie and Whispers.

The one with the pig is probably my least favorite one and I will probably never ever watch Grave of the Fireflies again. It's too good and I don't think I can handle that movie ever again. At that moment when the end credits were rolling, I dubbed Grave of the Fireflies "The Movie so good you'll only watch it once." I haven't looked back since.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6