• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Only Yesterday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Another big fan of OY speaking up here, saying thanks to Justin for highlighting it. You mentioned that it's surprising they made an adult drama as an animated film, but wasn't this movie intended originally to be live-action?

No. I the making of featurette it's told Hayao Miyazaki suggested Only Yesterday manga to Isao Takahata.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
I remember hearing about this! I really wish Disney would release it over here in the US... Maybe under their Touchstone label? I mean, they've released artsy stuff before...
Veers

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Very nice review...

Quote:
...but I really got very little out of this one. Maybe, having read Justin's impressions, I'd get more out of a second viewing....but I really don't want to try.
This.

I'm pretty sure my copy is bootleg since I got it about 8 years ago when I was new to buying anime and didn't know any better. Neutral
Barciad

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
This is going to wind you Americans up, I've seen it in shops in Britian.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Only-Yesterday-DVD-Isao-Takahata/dp/B000GHRCFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1242915490&sr=8-1
And on amazon
Apart from that it is an awesome film, it stands apart from Takahata's other major work as it can be watched more than once (come on, who has watched Grave of the Fireflies twice or more? Who could physically sit through that film for more than one occasion? I know I couldn't. I've known hard core Ghibli fans refuse to watch it altogether. It has that kind of reputation). Both times I enjoyed Only Yesterday and I would gladly see it again at some point.
Conversation

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
The article inspired me to buy the UK edition, which turned out to be easily available. For once it pays to live on this side of the Atlantic.
strahl

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
I hate anime fans with short attention span...
one time I run with a bunch at an anime club and how can you recognize them?

show them this movie...

as beautiful and nostalgic as it is... the new fans simply can't take it.
aluria

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Finally a Buried Treasure I've not only heard of but have seen! My friend lent me her copy back in High School. I admit it took a bit to sit through the movie, got bored at times but I managed to finish it.

Looking back, they were some aspects I definitely didn't give enough appreciation then. Me thinks I'll need to watch this again sometime...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meimi132

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE the fact the UK got an official release and America didn't. For once, we got stuff before the US. Usually its the other way round :sigh: Won't bother posting the link as it seems other already have. Tis only £6.98 currently. Much cheap. Very good price. Seeing as most Ghibli movies sell for £10 in HMV and other high street chains.

AND Only Yesterday has even been shown on tv in the UK. On Film4. Albeit late at night, least it was shown lol

I remember seeing Pom Poko late night Film4. Unsuprising really lol. Considering how they fight lol.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Phibby wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Hey Justin, are you ever going to do a review of something "R6" or rarer? Don't get me wrong, this week's review was superb, and I heartily agree with the choice of title. But I was wondering if you were ever going to get into the buried of the buried, the treasure above treasures, the Pandora's box of obscurity . . . You follow? I mean, what's the point in having a scale that goes that far if you never stretch it a bit?

He's featured at least one R7 (Hideaki Anno Talks to Kids) and one R6 (Bobby's in Deep) in the past. There are probably others that I'm forgetting, but there's two.

Hey - why stop there? Let's have some Buried Treasure on the best anime never made; like Route 20? Any other offers?

NM
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Do The Ocean Waves next - that's the other 'forgotten' Ghibli movie!

He already did.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
As the contributions of other members should make it clear, a substantial edit to the "how to get it" section is needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyoko F.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember a few years back when they showed this on TCM (Some kind of Miyazaki/Ghibli month) It was a beautiful story.

Last edited by Kyoko F. on Thu May 21, 2009 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
yblees

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Hrm... I have two beautiful, matching Ghibli box sets of every anime the studio has ever released up to Spirited Away.
Bought in Asia.
The English translation is subtitle only - no dubbing, and all the copyright marks seem to be present, but I've never been sure if it was a legal set.
And I'm Not giving it up - NEVER!
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I love Omoide Poro Poro too and watched it several times since the mid-nineties when I discovered all those magical movies by Ghibli. I even once considered to choose the topic of countryside nostalgia for my graduation thesis with a deeper analysis of Omoide but finally chose another topic. The only thing I blame the movie for, just a little bit, is Takahata's conservative nostalgia for the countryside, the furusato, and the solution for Taeko's "true" destiny: Becoming a farmer's wife. It's not a bad thing per see; it's just a good representation for the nostalgia boom and interest in an old, "pure" and untouched Japan and it's countryside; a theme which had become prevalent in Japan since the seventies and was heavily promoted by Japan Railways for marketing reasons.

One thing I really do love about Omoide is it's animation. Yoshifumi Kondo was a master character designer and animator and in this movie, you can really see how he put all his heart into it. When Taeko smiles, when she makes a funny face because of the sour pineapple or when she gets angry. The facial expression's are amazing. The facial animation of the characters in the present of 1982 where also lip synchronized which is pretty rare in anime.

I can't speak for the RC3 releases but the german RC2 release also contains the same hour long making of which was once in the Ghibli ga Ippai Laserdisc Boxset. I recommend this making of for everyone as you can see how Takahata works together with Miyazaki as Producer (they never talk to each other for example) or how Takahata checks the lip synchronization of Key animation drawings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
konkonsn

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
You're certainly not alone. I think many people feel discomfort regarding their prior selves. I know I do. My dad's also been digitalizing the old family VHS archives recently, and I couldn't stand watching any of them (the ones that contain me, anyway).

Seconded. My friends all remember junior high and high school with nostalgia, but everything before 21 for me was living in constant fear of something that existed only in my mind, and an understanding of the world that I couldn't grasp or explain to others (Monk might be funny, but I can't watch it knowing what real OCD feels like). I'm not big into the nostalgia trend, and I'm curious if that's true of you as well...I think the fact that I dislike my past so much makes me a future gazer.

To top it off, my (extended) family made a picture music video, and "The Rose" was the song used to represent our entire family growning up and blooming. So did I like this movie? You bet I did...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6