• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Central Park Media Files for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
ouch

CPM had some great titles like A-Ko and Patlabor...

company will be sorely missed...

p.s. my CPM DVDs may go up in price now...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
If CPM is kaput, then does that mean their titles will be licensed rescued by any of the surviving anime distributors or are they back to being unlicensed? The only CPM title I was ever able to get was Grave of the Fireflies. Guess this makes it harder for me to try getting Utena and Now and Then, Here and There on R1 DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh, what a shame...

CPM was responsible for releasing some of my favorite series, like Descendants of Darkness and Slayers. Not to mention Grave of the Fireflies.

Bummer. Sad
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I guess this explains why I've been having a hard time getting CPM titles at retail lately- while they haven't released anything new in a good while, their title were still available in cases where they still held the licenses, and they had sublicensed titles to Manga Entertainment for internet streaming and for airing on SciFi [I'm curious of the status of those titles now].

I wonder if we'll see their liquidated stock show up anywhere? There's probably still a lot of leftover dvd's and manga in their warehouses....

The only title of theirs that had gotten license rescued was Angel Sanctuary [new edition w/cpm's dub from Media Blasters, who acquired the license last year], and Slayers from Funi [which was a licensing shift that occured while CPM was still releasing new stuff somewhat regularly like Munto], so I imagine most of their catalogue will become really hard to find. On the adult anime side, it appears RightStuf acquired a lot of that catalogue and the domain name based on reports I saw on AnimeonDVD.

Last edited by Paploo on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
This is only a surprise in that I didn't think they were still around to file bankruptcy.

I guess this means I probably shouldn't look forward to North American BluRay's of two out of three of my all-time favourite anime feature films, Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer and Project A-Ko, unless some other company picks up their domestic rights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! Another one to go down. If they haven't released anything in the past year I don't know if anybody will be looking to rescue any of their titles. If anything, we could look to Funi for the rescue, but then that would definitely be monopolizing the market.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Hate to see this happen to them. I remember when they first came out back in 1990. If I remember correctly Dominion Tank Police was their first release.

A few years right before the Anime industry had become mainstream big time. The first time period when you could go into a store(not a comic book shop, book store, or specialty shop) and find anime on the shelf for sale domestically. That was about 1994.

That time period was an Anime fan's dream come true. I remember when Wal-mart was saying that they would never sale anime. And Bam!!! Look how times have changed!!!!

But I truly hate to see this happen to them. This has to do a lot with the economy, etc....

Sad Twisted Evil Sad
Descent123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm very sad that CPM is out of business, but I'm hoping that the licenses will go to other companies (Media Blasters, ADV Films anyone?).
Tripnroll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
It probably wont be the last either. Hopefully the titles will be picked up again soon. Several of the them are what I would consider must haves.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Holy crap! Another one to go down. If they haven't released anything in the past year I don't know if anybody will be looking to rescue any of their titles. If anything, we could look to Funi for the rescue, but then that would definitely be monopolizing the market.

Viz and Bandai are still around as major anime distributors here in the states.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Just looked at the staff page, and my hunch was right. Condolences to Justin Sevakis, former employee of CPM.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Just looked at the staff page, and my hunch was right. Condolences to Justin Sevakis, former employee of CPM.

No condolences required. I haven't worked there in many years, and neither have most of my friends. CPM's decline had nothing to do with the economy (its descent took well over 5 years), but if my theories are correct, at least the guy in charge was able to wind things down in a controlled manner.

CPM was a very important company to me. Without it I would probably not be in the anime business, or possibly in the hobby at all. It was not always pleasant, but my life is most certainly more colorful for my time spent there, and I'm forever grateful for the experience.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I thought this had already happened so it's not a big surprise to me. It sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Not very surprising news really. With no new titles coming out and their old titles HTF and often only findable on the secondary market, it was kind of inevitable. Hopefully some company will pick up some of their old licenses and do some cheap box set releases.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Well I was hoping they would re-release Utena in a complete thin-pack for me to buy. I guess that wont happen anytime soon :/

In any case, I really liked CPM and I'm really sad to hear that they're gone now. I hope everyone at the company has a easy time finding a new job soon
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10