• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films Play in LA, NY, Chicago, Houston, SF

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Coderjoe wrote:
As thrilled as I am to see films show here in the US so soon after opening in Japan, I am disappointed by the extreme limited release of this. California gets two shows, while a majority of the country has to travel farther than the distance from SF to LA in order to see them.

I wonder if that would be true, if you changed that to "a majority of the people in the country". A pretty big fraction of the population lives within 300 miles of one of these theaters. Maybe if they added a theater in Florida.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Coderjoe wrote:
As thrilled as I am to see films show here in the US so soon after opening in Japan, I am disappointed by the extreme limited release of this. California gets two shows, while a majority of the country has to travel farther than the distance from SF to LA in order to see them.

Well to be fair, California is freaking huge and an eighth of the entire US population lives in this state. And they need to have it run for a week in LA, so it could technically qualify for an Oscar nomination (though it's not going to get one).
angelaria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I live 40 miles north of Houston, however I don't know anyone in real-life into anime, and I'm very unfamiliar with downtown Houston to go by myself. Are there any other loners out there who would like to go to the Houston showing with me? I even have a car and wouldn't mind picking anyone up =) If so, don't quote or reply to this here, as I won't be checking, but please send me a message on myanimelist.net/profile/OtakuGirl01.

Also, I'm not a murderer or rapist or anything like that, and don't mind proving it ^__^ (webcam, letters, etc.)
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Coderjoe wrote:

I wonder if that would be true, if you changed that to "a majority of the people in the country". A pretty big fraction of the population lives within 300 miles of one of these theaters. Maybe if they added a theater in Florida.

The five listed cities combined, using their Combined Statistical Area populations make up "only" 20% of the entire population of the US. The included showings are from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 9th most populous CSAs in the country. That means there are 5 other areas more populous than the Houston area that they skipped over. (FWIW, the first CSA from Florida, Orlando, shows up at 17th. Atlanta is 10th. Detroit is 11th).

Sewingrose wrote:
Coderjoe wrote:

Well to be fair, California is freaking huge and an eighth of the entire US population lives in this state. And they need to have it run for a week in LA, so it could technically qualify for an Oscar nomination (though it's not going to get one).

Yes, and as it turns out, I slightly underestimated the distance from LA to SF. It turns out that 12% of the population of the US is in CA, but with 67% of CA's population being within LA (5.66% of US) and SF (2.41% of US).

(Edited, yet again, to add) Showing it in more theaters is no longer a huge cost, since they don't have to strike film prints for each venue, but do little more than copy a hard drive and ship it.

(edited again. when will it end?) It turns out that the Miami Metro Statistic area comes in 11th in the ranking of Primary Statistic Areas, between the Atlanta CSA and Detroit CSA, well ahead of the Orlando CSA
zeopower6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I think the difficulty isn't really in 'getting it to theaters' (look at Tekken Blood Vengeance's rather wide release in theaters for one day) but whether or not interest is high enough.

Most of these theaters have hosted screenings in the past (and most of them have been successful, it seems) so that seems to be why they were chosen.

I would expect them to increase the amount of theaters for future screenings if the reaction is good enough (packed screenings for all Sat. showings... not expecting it for weekday LA ones) and maybe even more for the third movie if that ends up coming here.

Only time will tell~

The lack of a Floridian representative theater is interesting but ehh... maybe turn out wasn't so high when they did the FMA event in Miami?
agr964

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
San Francisco sold out already...

http://www.newpeopleworld.com/films/films-10-2012/
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
agr964 wrote:

Wow... in less than a day too... just WOW! I'm glad I bought my ticket.
agr964

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
agr964 wrote:

Wish I did when I saw they went up yesterday. Hopefully they will add additional showings, after all, it's an easy money maker.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Was expected. I think their theater seats less than 200 so it's even smaller than the one in LA! Shocked
SeizonSenryaku69

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody know where they sell tickets for Houston?
zeopower6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
http://drafthouse.com/houston

You should be able to purchase them from here when they add the tickets to the site. :]
Nahinalau

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
agr964 wrote:

Chicago already sold out as well. Glad my Sperg was strong and I bought my ticket pronto. They were sold out not a day later.
Animexcel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Nahinalau wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
agr964 wrote:

Chicago already sold out as well. Glad my Sperg was strong and I bought my ticket pronto. They were sold out not a day later.

Wow, it's a good thing I didn't wait! I bought my ticket for the Music Box as well.

And yeah, I went to see Evangelion 1.11 there and the theater room was really small. Felt like a video room at an anime con. When I read "limited seating", I was like "ahh man it's in there?" They have 2 small screen rooms and one big screen. I wish it was in the bigger one Sad
zeopower6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the tickets for LA are more expensive than the others...

And it's TWO SCREENINGS A DAY :O

However, the ticket includes a poster.

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/277297

It'll probably be one of these... probably both, and you choose one?
http://www.madoka-magica.com/ticket/
agr964

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the link zeopower6. Just bought tickets and going to make the drive to LA for this for sure, even though SF is massively closer. Can't wait to see Madoka on the big screen!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5