• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: YouTube, Crunchyroll Stream Kurokami TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
I was worried they were going to cancel the DVD release all together. Hopefully they don't push it back too far.

They also pushed back there first release of Gundam 00 by a month. Come to think of it, that happened right before they announced it was going to be available on Crunchyroll as well. Maybe this means Kurokami will only be pushed back a month. Its a shame Bandia doesn't update there site with this info. It also wouldn't hurt them to advertise there releases a bit more either.

Kinda why the anime industry in North America is dying, they're not doing a thing to help themselves. Though a lot of blame can also lie with downloaders, I still stick to the idea that not having these shows constantly on TV at decent timeslots hurts a lot, people aren't exposed to these shows, the fanbase stagnates and shrinks instead of growing.

Yeah going online might be the "in" thing to do, and networks have seen big increases from it, but doesn't it help expose people when they're just flipping through TV as well? It's more passive than active, and a lot less technologically difficult to work.
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Hey, if you can solve this problem, why aren't you an Internet millionaire?
Because the problem lies with the licence holders. Japan itself is still split up into regions where only certain TV channels are broadcast. Trying to persuade them that splitting up licences into regions is a bad idea is pretty much a lost cause until at least a few go bust.
Quote:
we don't have anyone "on the ground" to do the necessary work to get decent CPMs, so we're stuck with crap revenue if we do stream it. Our net revenue from streaming it in the UK would come in at less $1 CPM
Whoah, whoah! slow down with the asspulls there! All that's needed is one company to organise advertisers (assuming ad supported streaming is even used). Bandwidth is dirt cheap: a gigabyte an episode (i.e. the requisite 'better than fansubs' quality), is about $0.12 a pop (pulled fromS3, would be cheaper if self-hosted). Even $0.50 pure profit per episode, spread over a few thousand downloaders...
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Kinda why the anime industry in North America is dying, they're not doing a thing to help themselves. Though a lot of blame can also lie with downloaders, I still stick to the idea that not having these shows constantly on TV at decent timeslots hurts a lot, people aren't exposed to these shows, the fanbase stagnates and shrinks instead of growing.

Yeah going online might be the "in" thing to do, and networks have seen big increases from it, but doesn't it help expose people when they're just flipping through TV as well? It's more passive than active, and a lot less technologically difficult to work.

Speaking of decent time slots. Remember when Cartoon Network moved Code Geass and Moribito to like 5am on Sunday morning on there premier runs and put reruns of old shows on in there place. Its almost like they were trying to get those shows to do bad. I mean, what kind of business strategy is that anyway?

I remimber, back in the day, when they produced those cool music videos for Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, and The Big O. I believe they made one for Tenchi Muyo and DBZ as well. They played those on CN as advertisements all the time. Now they barely advertise any anime at all on CN, even if its about to come on.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Speaking of decent time slots. Remember when Cartoon Network moved Code Geass and Moribito to like 5am on Sunday morning on there premier runs and put reruns of old shows on in there place. Its almost like they were trying to get those shows to do bad. I mean, what kind of business strategy is that anyway?

I remimber, back in the day, when they produced those cool music videos for Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, and The Big O. I believe they made one for Tenchi Muyo and DBZ as well. They played those on CN as advertisements all the time. Now they barely advertise any anime at all on CN, even if its about to come on.
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
The_X_box_360 wrote:
Speaking of Sunrise, it's nice to finally see an ANN article concerning a Sunrise series that's being released on Crunchyroll, without the article writer referring to Surnise as Bandai this and Bandai that and only mentioning Sunrise by name once... twice.. or not at all.

For some reason, it just felt weird whenever they did that.

Ironically, Crunchyroll's own press release does not mention Sunrise at all, but it does mention Bandai Channel and Bandai Entertainment. That's because Crunchyroll's deal is with its partner Bandai Channel, just like its deals for Gundam 00 and Code Geass. What is weird about mentioning the companies that Crunchyroll itself mentions?

I'm not sure what you're going on about press releases for, Egan Loo.
Now, here is what Crunchyroll has posted in "Crunchyroll's own" news section at "Crunchyroll's own" website......
Quote:
[user]keikawa[/user] wrote:

What’s up everyone!

From the amazing Korean creative team of Young Lim Dall (writer) and Park Sung Woo(artist), publisher Square Enix, and legendary studio [link url="http://www.crunchyroll.com/publisher/sunrise"]Sunrise[/link] comes [link url="http://www.crunchyroll.com/kurokami"]Kurokami - the Animation[/link] right here on CR!

We just rolled out [link url="http://www.crunchyroll.com/kurokami"]Kurokami[/link] episodes 1-18 today at 6 pm PDT!! This series will be dubbed only and subsequent future episodes will appear one week after its launch date in Japan on CR.

What does that mean for you?

So, from here on out, every Wednesday at 6 pm PDT another episode of [link url="http://www.crunchyroll.com/kurokami"]Kurokami[/link] will air on our site to everyone for [red]FREE!!![/red]

[block align="center"][link url="http://www.crunchyroll.com/kurokami"] [crimg]keikawa:41364151[/crimg][/link][/block]

If you’ve never heard of it before, here’s the low down:

“A world in which one’s happiness and misfortunes, even their lives are controlled by “luck”…
In this world, there are three identical looking people in existence. Each of these three split between them an energy-like force called “Tera.” This energy can be attributed to the amount of “Luck” or “Life Energy” that an individual possesses.

[link url="http://www.crunchyroll.com/kurokami"] [crimg]keikawa:41364392[/crimg] [/link]

And between those three, the one with the largest share of Tera is called the “Root” and the two possessing a lesser amount are called the “Sub.” If a “Sub” should ever meet up with another person that looks just like them, they would die. Their Tera would then be absorbed by the remaining two. If two “Subs” should run into each other, they would both perish, leaving the entire amount of Tera to be absorbed by the “Root.” That individual would then become a “Master Root” and come into possession of an enormous amount of luck and lead a life with success at every turn.

This is the hidden truth of existence in the World of Humans and is called the “Doppeliner System.”

[link url="http://www.crunchyroll.com/kurokami"] [crimg]keikawa:41364394[/crimg] [/link]

In accordance to the rules of the Doppeliner System, there exists beings who observe the human world, maintaining the balance of Tera, known as the “Coexistence Equilibrium.” These beings possess ability that surpass that of a normal human being, and reside in hiding in places known as the “Pure Place” in tribes. They are called the Tera Guardians.

This is a tale of battle that begins with the meeting between a human boy named Keita and a young Tera Guardian girl named Kuro…”

[link url="http://www.crunchyroll.com/kurokami"] [crimg]keikawa:41364398[/crimg] [/link]

There’s an old saying that “death comes in threes,” and if that’s the case, then the characters in Sunrise's hit anime series – [link url="http://www.crunchyroll.com/kurokami"]Kurokami - the Animation[/link] – are in for some serious trouble.
Source

I'm guessing that the CR staff writer, keikawa, had a good reason for referring to the anime studio as Sunrise, the publisher, Square Enix, and the creators, Young Lim Dall and Park Sung Woo, all by name without even mentioning Bandai this or that.

The fact that this is the exact opposite of what's supposedly written in some press release might suggest that he (keikawa) felt it unnecessary or "too weird" to neglect to mention the origin of a newly released anime in the news article announcing it's release and, instead, only go on about Bandai, who had nothing to do with Sunrise's or Square Enix's creation and don't employ Dall or Woo.
Feels a lot less weird this way, for me, is all.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:

Speaking of decent time slots. Remember when Cartoon Network moved Code Geass and Moribito to like 5am on Sunday morning on there premier runs and put reruns of old shows on in there place. Its almost like they were trying to get those shows to do bad. I mean, what kind of business strategy is that anyway?.

I think I've answered this question before. I had to NYCC this year and asked a staff member of AS (in which her name I couldn't remember), and she stated that they had to move it to such an obscure time slot because of the fact that anime was not doing so well on the air.

I can believe that, because whenever you look at the ratings during the week, mainly AS shows dominate over anime. So it kind of sucks, but I suppose anime is not really getting much support on TV anymore. I don't know how Sci-Fi is doing though. I guess well, since it's still airing Gundam 00.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
The_X_box_360 wrote:

I'm not sure what you're going on about press releases for, Egan Loo.
Now, here is what Crunchyroll has posted in "Crunchyroll's own" news section at "Crunchyroll's own" website......
Source

I'm guessing that the CR staff writer, keikawa, had a good reason for referring to the anime studio as Sunrise, the publisher, Square Enix, and the creators, Young Lim Dall and Park Sung Woo, all by name without even mentioning Bandai this or that.

Crunchyroll issued a business press release that mentions Bandai Channel and Bandai Entertainment, but not Sunrise. Crunchyroll posted an announcement for fans that mentions Sunrise, but not Bandai Channel or Bandai Entertainment. The same company released both. Neither the industry-oriented press release or fan-oriented web announcement is something we need to feel weird about.

Quote:
The fact that this is the exact opposite of what's supposedly written in some press release might suggest that he (keikawa) felt it unnecessary or "too weird" to neglect to mention the origin of a newly released anime in the news article announcing it's release and, instead, only go on about Bandai, who had nothing to do with Sunrise's or Square Enix's creation and don't employ Dall or Woo.
Feels a lot less weird this way, for me, is all.

As before, the main misconception here is that Bandai is more related to Bandai Channel and Bandai Entertainment than Bandai is to Sunrise. Superficial name differences aside, Namco Bandai Holdings owns Sunrise, Bandai, Bandai Channel, and Bandai Entertainment. Sunrise is as related to Bandai as Bandai Channel or Bandai Entertainment is. Both Bandai Channel and Bandai Entertainment definitely are involved with Kurokami the Animation.

The other misconception is that Crunchyroll was responsible for the fan-oriented web announcement, but not the industry-oriented press release. Crunchyroll is responsible for both, despite the differences in which companies they name.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Seriously, maybe you should go complain to your local anime companies, it's their job to bring the anime to you...

Hey, if you can solve this problem, why aren't you an Internet millionaire?
Problem: everyone but Manga is flipping retarded in that regard. They do not understand that we want the shows at least in the same time frame as the american dvd release and we do not want it for the now redundent price point for £20+ for four episodes.

Oh, and hey, I have your solution right the hell here: http://www4.funimation.com/video/

Now where's my million?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3