• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would you step out of your comfort zone?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Usagi/Bunny Drop is a fantastic uplifting story with strong themes about family and responsibility. It's the sort of story that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside after watching it. Yeah, the art style is unusual but who cares? Rin is cuter than most kittens.

So you must pray to the deity of your choosing that they don't make the second season followup? As for me, the original Bunny Drop made my skin crawl and my face twist. Prior to the this series, I didn't even know I had lines that couldn't be crossed. And if the producers just wanted to do this kind of heartwarming "man-child rasies girl child" story, there are other titles that are less spoiler[incesty].

I am afraid that I do not follow you; the anime is not the least like Koi Kaze at all. May I trouble you to elaborate on what, exactly, you mean?
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Given it's based on a visual novel, you can't really say you're surprised it might have some 'otaku elements' to it.

I wasn't surprised, just disappointed that the staff kept them in. It's entirely possible to change things in adaptations, but I guess the fans of the original would raise a shitstorm if they didn't keep in the maid cafe, the trap, perverted "jokes" and "tutturu~." Which I guess just goes back to the point I made about studios having to play it safe much of the time.

naninanino wrote:
There is however, a way how people should not be open minded. Like that you shouldn't pretend you like a show just because of courtesy.

Who actually pretends they like a show? Do you have any specific examples?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Usagi/Bunny Drop is a fantastic uplifting story with strong themes about family and responsibility. It's the sort of story that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside after watching it. Yeah, the art style is unusual but who cares? Rin is cuter than most kittens.

So you must pray to the deity of your choosing that they don't make the second season followup? As for me, the original Bunny Drop made my skin crawl and my face twist. Prior to the this series, I didn't even know I had lines that couldn't be crossed. And if the producers just wanted to do this kind of heartwarming "man-child rasies girl child" story, there are other titles that are less spoiler[incesty].

I am afraid that I do not follow you; the anime is not the least like Koi Kaze at all. May I trouble you to elaborate on what, exactly, you mean?

That's true. For one thing, I liked Koi Kaze, both the manga and the anime. It said it was a duck and it stayed a duck, so to speak.

I said "original" and as such, it's the manga that the anime "adopted". I read the manga based on reviews for the anime but the Bunny Drop anime is like turning the history of Caligula into an uplifting story about one man's rise to power and prominence. How do you do that? You leave out the rest of the story...
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
naninanino wrote:
There is however, a way how people should not be open minded. Like that you shouldn't pretend you like a show just because of courtesy.

Who actually pretends they like a show? Do you have any specific examples?

(Uh, that's "show" and not "Princess Mononoke"? Wink )
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:

Unless you're referencing something specific, I wasn't paying much attention to the Ghibli explosion in America when it happened. I'm not familiar with any faux-love Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, etc. received.
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
EricJ wrote:

Unless you're referencing something specific, I wasn't paying much attention to the Ghibli explosion in America when it happened. I'm not familiar with any faux-love Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, etc. received.

(Oh, you weren't around in the days when Disney was thinking of cutting their losses after PM's poor theatrical showing?
Knowing the movie, how easy do you think it was for us discerning Ghibli fans to spend all that time until Spirited won the Oscar telling Disney "No, no, really, we LOVED PM! It's our favorite movie and we want it on disk!--Why, just look at all the bloodstains and rabid boars! It's so epic, we want to see ALL of Miyazaki's films on disk, we do, we do; we just love it so much, we could kiss it, mwa-mwa-mwa!"?

Sometimes as a fan, you just have to look at the big picture, do the right thing, and take a bullet for the team. Sad
But that's beside the point, unless you want to talk about communist/pessimist Miyazaki stepping outside his comfort zone.)

Animegomaniac wrote:
The topic thread isn't about that kind of comfort zone though. I guess I have lower standards and as long as I get my money's worth {I only watch new subbed anime free through Hulu so my overhead's very low. Zero, really.}, I'm fine with the quality.
Why only Hulu? I've been using the service since it started and I'd rather stick to series that have the greatest potential for physical releases.

I tried using Hulu for anything, except that they only have original US network series (which I haven't watched in years), and propped up Criterion movies to try and cover up the fact that they turned their Movie section into a public-domain crater.
I'm sure there are other places to get recent anime, but since I can't afford Crunchyroll, I have to wait for anime to hit Blu-ray before I find out what they're about, and even then, since they'll be Funi, assume they'll probably show up on Instant Netflix.

Needless to say, it keeps me out of the loop for whatever new yaoi series is appearing for androphobic schoolgirls, or fight, demon or objectified girl-in-a-box series is appearing for gynophobic schoolboys, so I have to be the one to keep up the Old-School 80's/90's banner in the discussions, until something watchable comes along. Sad

Last edited by EricJ on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wasn't surprised, just disappointed that the staff kept them in. It's entirely possible to change things in adaptations, but I guess the fans of the original would raise a shitstorm if they didn't keep in the maid cafe, the trap, perverted "jokes" and "tutturu~." Which I guess just goes back to the point I made about studios having to play it safe much of the time.

I haven't seen Stein's;Gate yet, but I think you're missing the point slightly. Part of of S;G is that it deals with Otaku culture. I'm not seeing how that invalidates the good parts of the show.

Quote:
Needless to say, it keeps me out of the loop for whatever new yaoi series is appearing for androphobic schoolgirls, or fight, demon or objectified-female series is appearing for gynophobic schoolboys, so I have to be the one to keep up the Old-School 80's/90's banner in the discussions, until something watchable comes along.

First of all, it's like you stopped trying to make sense halfway through this, but secondly, there are male fans of yaoi, as difficult as that may be for you to believe. And calling yaoi fans androphobic is one of the most ridiculously illogical statements I have ever seen.

Last edited by Chagen46 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So you must pray to the deity of your choosing that they don't make the second season followup? As for me, the original Bunny Drop made my skin crawl and my face twist.

If they make a sequel that covers the second half of the Manga - and I sincerely hope that they don't - then I'll pretend it has nothing to do with the first series.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I haven't seen Stein's;Gate yet, but I think you're missing the point slightly. Part of of S;G is that it deals with Otaku culture. I'm not seeing how that invalidates the good parts of the show.

Well, even though you haven't seen it, are you able to tell me what it says about otaku culture? If you want to justify a reference or setting as exploring an idea or theme, pointing to its existence isn't enough. It's like a movie or book that is about war and says "war is bad," but doesn't say much of anything beyond that. Or for anime, some say that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya parodies, or even satirizes moe, etc. but people never explain how -- they just mention Haruhi merely pointing out moe aspects in an episode. (And I actually like the series, mind you, but feel that people attach certain qualities to it that just aren't there.)
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Or for anime, some say that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya parodies, or even satirizes moe, etc. but people never explain how -- they just mention Haruhi merely pointing out moe aspects in an episode. (And I actually like the series, mind you, but feel that people attach certain qualities to it that just aren't there.)

It's parodying the convention of archetypal cliche' characters being "assembled" in most series:
Haruhi assumes her club will be like the anime series, and must follow formula (which she "causes" to happen): "Okay, we're two members in, we've had the cute moe girl, now a new mysterious transfer student is supposed to show up! Wait, the cute girl's not wearing glasses!--C'mon, Mikuru, put them on!"

It's satirizing the conventions of school comedy and Haruhi's overbearing fandom, but also feels like it's become a satire of the growing tendency for new anime shows to "assemble" comedies out of spare obligatory fanservice elements, and not out of a unique concept or chemistry between the characters.
Japan now assumes its viewers are horny girl-sublimating teens who ask 'When's the Maid showing up?", and put one in accordingly.

Last edited by EricJ on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
First time I've been given an answer to that question. Thank you.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:

Akihabara and people associated with that culture is the setting in Steins;Gate (and that setting is actually quite uncommon). So, yes, they make perverted "jokes" and subculture references, it's not simply pandering here. Take that away and the story loses a big part of its identity.

I've nothing against your argument, but Steins;Gate is a bad example here.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Right. And really, I can't necessarily blame the anime studios and production committees too much. When times are tough, why stick your neck out when you can just produce safer titles?

I have mixed feelings on this matter. I'm very sympathetic to their situation, but also I can't help but wish they would at least try a little harder to take some creative risks. I know that realistically the kind of highly creative and experimental shows that we might have seen pre-2007 just aren't really going to be profitable these days and that they can't afford to sink money into projects that don't make it back but at the same time, risks do pay off. Just look at Madoka and its enduring popularity. It would be nice to see more of that.

Also, I feel like they're just shooting themselves in the foot in the long run. The more they rely on the otaku audience the more it contributes to that insularity you mentioned. It has become a vicious cycle at this point. Non-otaku shows are rarely profitable* so they make less and less of them. As a result, less and less non-otaku fans watch anime...which of course just makes non-otaku shows less profitable and means less of them get made. In the long run they're just making it harder to escape that cycle and setting themselves up for failure when the otaku money eventually runs out. Of course, going bankrupt eventually is still better than going bankrupt now so again I'm not unsympathetic but I don't know. I just hope there's a point at which they decide to open up a little more. Otherwise I really don't see how things will ever get better.

*That is of course, discounting kids and family shows.

Quote:
Kaiba is a fascinating failure in narrative construction, or at least that's how I felt about it when I first saw it. Overall I enjoyed it a lot, and think it's something I should rewatch to see if its worth reevaluating my opinion on it.

Well, it's certainly worth a rewatch but yeah, you're not wrong. Kaiba has some pretty major issues with narrative construction. Personally I thought it did enough well to be called an excellent (if flawed) show regardless. I can totally see the argument to the contrary though.

Quote:
I agree with the overall point, even though I was a bit murky in my statements on Tarantino. I would say the latter point of your first sentence primarily applies to Inglourious Basterds, which seems to be his first real step in an original screenplay to really saying something about film and its relationship to society. (Jackie Brown is adapted from a novel, iirc.) His other films deal with plenty of themes (redemption, loyalty, motherhood, greed, etc.) but I don't really get a sense of who Tarantino is as a person outside of how much he loves film. (Which is necessarily a negative, but for me it leaves his stuff kinda empty once I get past his skill of being able to assemble a collage of disparate film ideas and moments into a cohesive, accessible plot.)

That's fair I think. Aside from Basterds (which I consider to be probably his best movie), I'm perhaps overselling it by saying that his movies really say something about film. I do think, however, that his movies do more that simply offer homage to other films**. Especially when it comes to Pulp Fiction & Reservoir Dogs, he does a lot of really neat stuff with story structure among other things. But yeah, I think I can see where you're coming from.

**Although if I understand correctly, I don't think you meant to say otherwise.

Quote:
I think that, in addition to all of this, it becomes problematic when even creative folk don't have much wriggle room. Steins;Gate was mentioned earlier. I've enjoyed the first seven episodes of that (despite the obnoxious otaku-pandering tics), and plan to finish it eventually, but it comes up short of the quality I associate with Hiroshi Hamasaki (aside from the cinematography, which is still pretty good). Same thing applies with Masaaki Yuasa's Tatami Galaxy, which is good, solid entertainment... but fairly normal and disappointing when considering his resume.

Indeed. Steins;Gate is perhaps my favourite example of what's wrong with anime, not because it is a bad show but because I feel like it could have been a really great show if not for the constraints placed on it by it's target audience.

naninanino wrote:

Pretending to like something when you actually don't isn't really what I'd call being "open minded". Being open minded doesn't preclude disliking things. It just means you give them a chance and don't write them off for insubstantial reasons.

jl07045 wrote:
Akihabara and people associated with that culture is the setting in Steins;Gate (and that setting is actually quite uncommon). So, yes, they make perverted "jokes" and subculture references, it's not simply pandering here. Take that away and the story loses a big part of its identity.

I actually don't think you're altogether wrong here. I don't think the show has anything to say about otaku culture but I actually didn't mind Okarin and Daru precisely because they felt like more or less real otaku. The trouble is, the bulk of that show's otaku elements aren't like that. They don't actually reflect otaku culture as it really is. They reflect this unreal, fetishized, fantasy version of it designed to pander to otaku viewers and that's really trite.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

I've nothing against your argument, but Steins;Gate is a bad example here.

Fair enough. My overall disappointment with those tics is how they seem to predominantly define the characters.* It may change past the seven episodes I saw, so I'm open to the the characters eventually showing other nuances to their personality.

*I don't really believe in making much of a distinction between "otaku" and "non-otaku" shows in terms of actual quality. I like Haruhi, Evangelion, Gunbuster, Madoka, Yotsuba&!, Giant Robo, etc. But those series have their characters not solely defined by otaku-favored traits (and in the case of Yotsuba&!, it's probably the greatest example of moe working as it should), whereas what I saw of Steins;Gate seemed to fall into that trap.

ikillchicken wrote:
Also, I feel like they're just shooting themselves in the foot in the long run. The more they rely on the otaku audience the more it contributes to that insularity you mentioned. It has become a vicious cycle at this point.

And it certainly doesn't have to be that way. Gainax was founded with some of the biggest otaku in the 1980s, and they went on to produce some really fantastic stuff that was obviously inspired by non-anime works.

Quote:
**Although if I understand correctly, I don't think you meant to say otherwise.

Right.

Quote:
Pretending to like something when you actually don't isn't really what I'd call being "open minded". Being open minded doesn't preclude disliking things. It just means you give them a chance and don't write them off for insubstantial reasons.

That's really the most important point. If people dismiss an entire category of shows/films/what have you, then you're limiting yourself. Same thing with the anime industry -- I think it's overall better off now compared to its first few decades, but I don't know where it's really heading after the past few years.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
jl07045 wrote:

I actually don't think you're altogether wrong here. I don't think the show has anything to say about otaku culture but I actually didn't mind Okarin and Daru precisely because they felt like more or less real otaku. The trouble is, the bulk of that show's otaku elements aren't like that. They don't actually reflect otaku culture as it really is. They reflect this unreal, fetishized, fantasy version of it designed to pander to otaku viewers and that's really trite.

As you said the show doesn't have anything to say about the otaku culture. So it doesn't have to portray it realistically or in either glorified or damning manner. It has to provide an interesting setting, which it did imho. By that logic Ivanhoe should have been set in the world of racism, rape and murder. Instead it panders to our tendency to romanticize Middle Ages. Should a work of art be responsible for our own ignorance? Do you think otaku don't know better than you or me what that culture is actually like?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8