• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-05-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
More blog drawings, hilarious, truly hilarious. Thanks for the laughs Very Happy
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

How could you hate Angel Cop and MD Geist? Those two are UNDISPUTABLE CLASSICS, and anyone who says otherwise is 100% wrong and biased!

If I had seen ANGEL COP or M.D. GEIST(or MAD BULL 34 since that was also mentioned) back when they were first released, I would have become a hardcore anime fan a long time ago. "Classic" OVAs are the best.

Well, ADV's got MD Geist now, so have fun with it when they re-issue it. Or you could look for used DVDs on eBay. Your choice.

Angel Cop and Mad Bull 34: Found rips on a streaming site which I will not name, and fell in love with both shows the moment I saw them. Somebody should really rescue those, along with any other former Manga Entertainment titles wallowing in limbo.

Classic OVAs: They just don't make anime like that anymore!

Quote:
I tried the Miyazaki method on my parents. Came out of that with what I took as an "okay so its not all pr0nz" from my dad and a "huh that was weird" from my mom. I tried Jin-Roh on my dad next but it was on a Saturday afternoon and he fell asleep about halfway though. I considered that as much of a success as I was gonna get out of them (though I did get my mom to watch all of Honey & Clover later).

If your dad fell asleep halfway through Jin-Roh, try using Cowboy Bebop if you haven't already. Or Trigun, Strait Jacket, or any of Satoshi Kon's works.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
Jenthehen... I think if you look at your presuppostions, you'll see a way forward. You want him to watch the Anime that YOU like. That's where you are making it hard up front. If he likes Afro Samurai, get him right on into it even if you hate it.
Because it forms a common ground. If he likes different stuff than you, you are at least both watching anime, which greatly increases the chance that eventually you could find something you both tolerate. And yeah Jake and Miri is a chick flick. Get him to like the Medium of Anime first, THEN maybe he'll accept big eyed moe shows, or he'll watch one just so you will watch something ultraviolent with him...

On the other hand, looking at their overall preferences as has been said is pretty important. I found out after marrying my ex-wife that all those Sci-Fi and action movies, and Anime and all that... that she had gone to see with me was only to humor me, and she hated them all. You truly can't convert everyone, and it depends a lot on what they like.

I think my vote is on Cowboy Bebop though just for a starter. Then you can sorta figure out what they liked/didn't like about it...

Thanks, I wasn't really looking for advice, though ... I know him in real life, and nobody else here does.

Basically, I don't really mind if he doesn't like anime. I don't feel I HAVE to convert him. And I don't bother with something like Afro Samurai, because it's not like he's excited to watch it ... I'd just be forcing him to watch it when *I* am not even interested. Someday we may watch it ... when he owes me for something and I can make him "watch anime" ^^

And, I mean, he's 28 ... so it's hard to "convert" people who are older like us Smile
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Basically, I don't really mind if he doesn't like anime. I don't feel I HAVE to convert him. And I don't bother with something like Afro Samurai, because it's not like he's excited to watch it ... I'd just be forcing him to watch it when *I* am not even interested. Someday we may watch it ... when he owes me for something and I can make him "watch anime" ^^

And, I mean, he's 28 ... so it's hard to "convert" people who are older like us Smile

Don't be so sure about that. I think I was 30 before I got out of believing anime was all about "freaky people with huge eyes and mouths that don't move in synch with the words coming out of them." However, if you're not really concerned with converting him, then the subject is moot.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Heh, that's cool Jenthehen... hope you don't feel offended, it was just a thought.

As far as age, er, I'm 44 and I introduced my mid60's mom using RahXephon. Age isn't the determinant. One of my friends is a huge Comic/Manga geek and 56. In many ways my taste is far more sophisticated now than when I was in my 20's... Truly I don't look at this as conversion as much as broadening. Interesting storytelling is interesting story telling, whatever the medium.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
True true ... I think it's hard to introduce anime to people, because so many shows have the "anime-isms" if you know what I mean ... like ... super deformed / sweat-drop / random japanese cultural humor ... and that's kinda hard to stomach if it's new to you. I remember when I first saw Ouran I was pretty new to anime, and I didn't really "get" a lot of it ... I like it a lot more now!

But anyway, even the shows that I feel like people would like have those "anime-isms" that turn people away - like, Paradise Kiss, for example ... I can't imagine any "normal" female not loving it, but the first episode has some random anime visual humor, and I think people might find that weird or something o___0

I think it's also hard to "convert" people because series are long - even 12/13 episodes seems long to some folks (whereas I plow through that like it's nothing!) ... but I mean, you can't sit down with someone and marathon 24 episodes - a lot of people aren't willing at all to do that. So a movie or OVA is easier, but then your choices are narrowed down.
petran79

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I think the only issue would be if they, say, put their titles streaming online without putting up Region-blockers, which might upset Funi, or license materials to a title in Funi's region without Funi's participation [ie- a US-based arabic language station would probably have to go through Funi, the japanese owners, and the producers of the arabic dub depending on what rights they own, to broadcast the show]

Actually Spacetoon is also broadcasted on satellite without the need to pay subscription, so you only need a small dish and a satellite receiver to receive the channel around the Mediterranean region (and a somewhat larger dish for other regions , though at night reception is better). And since this is satellite, local licensors in other countries cant do a thing.

Indeed the Arabic satellites broadcast for free and legallyfor what you would pay a fortune in the USA.

see here
http://www.lyngsat.com/nile.html
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shojo series, on the other hand, tend to present their heroines as being either passive, limp-wristed and meek, or as being dumb, flighty and constantly in need of rescue from situations caused by the aforementioned dumbness and flightiness (examples: Fushigi Yugi, Fruits Basket, Tail of the Moon.)

Two out of three of those examples just happen to be titles I've collected (Fruits Basket and Tail of the Moon). I don't really know that much about Miaka from Fushigi Yugi, but I do know that Tohru from Furuba and Usagi from Tail of the Moon have their strengths as well as their weaknesses. I really do enjoy reading about those two characters (and man am I happy they're not some sort of violent-type female character from a shonen series Very Happy ). Tohru and Usagi both display complex natures that lend reality to their characterizations, and while I believe that you can see glimpses of both of their strengths from the first volumes of their respective series, I believe that, as with most characters, you need to read the entire length of each of their series to understand the full scope of their characters. Tohru and Usagi are both teenagers, so of course they are going to have worries and certain weaknesses that are inherent with being younger, but as each series progresses you get to see how each of these adolescent female characters grow and mature and come to terms with many things. Usagi, for example, who never really fit in with the physicality of being a ninja, learns that her strength is in herbs and becomes an herbalist. She also spoiler[saves her charge, Mamezo, from a fire and saves Hanzo with her herbalist skills when he is poisoned, etc.] Strength is in the eye of the beholder, and I believe inner strength, even if it doesn't seem apparent in someone at first, is very admirable. I really enjoyed seeing Tohru and Usagi grow, because at any age, we are always growing and dealing with our weaknesses while finding our hidden strengths. I loved seeing Tohru come to grips with spoiler[being in love with Kyo], too, even though it was also kind of emotionally painful, because in the end she was stronger for it.Anime catgrin

If you want to check out some more cool shojo heroines, check out any manga by Mick Takeuchi. Her heroines have a wonderful balance of strengths and weaknesses and are often trying to make it on their own apart from their families with the help of some friends and/or supernatural co-workers. And, in one case, a dog oni. Or cow. (Sorry, Hyoue! I just couldn't resist! Anime smile ) Miharu, Amane, and Chiyako are very awesome heroines!
irishninja

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
My significant other thinks I'm a senile old git for watching cartoons at my age, and wouldn't watch anime if I paid her, but then I feel the same about her soaps so we're even. Maybe she's right, but whatever.

My fiancee thinks I'm a senile old git for other reasons. Wink She loves anime and has introduced me to more series than I to her. So I'm pretty lucky in that regard. Smile
Elves

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
My gleeful optimism hopes that people on the Japanese side of the industry pay attention to what I print in my column every week, because it helps me sleep at night to think that actual Important People read what I have to say.

Hey. Are you saying your loyal readers aren't important? O_o? Hrm...?
Wink Okay, so we know you love us, Brian, so you're forgiven...this time. Though if you don't...well, you better be prepared. Twisted Evil Hehe.
Fake Alias

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I would show episode 24 (The extra) of the first Clannad series. (There aren't really any references to earlier events, so 24 can be watched alone, in my opinion.) It's the episode that shows what things would be like if Tomoya had dated Tomoyo instead of Nagisa. The episode left me as an emotional wreck when i first watched it. I wasn't crying like a school girl in the end; whatever I was crying like was much more pathetic.... Of course I would have to prepare to take it like a man, if I had to watch that episode with someone else in the room..

Alternatively I'd show Dokuro-Chan, just because it's so mindblowingly funny and incorrect. I've seen it alone and with two seperate friends... And it's still funny.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading Hey Answerman! for several months, but this is my first time posting.

First, I have to agree with Brian about The Anime Encyclopedia. I don't really care for its snarky tone, either. I also have problems with some of the errors I've found in the thing (one of the biggest ones I found is the erroneous information listed for the premise of Fruits Basket). I have other issues as well, but won't list them here.

Speaking of Fruits Basket, I think Tohru is a strong character, although it may not seem like she is if you just scratch the surface. To go through what this girl has gone through (losing her dad when she was small, and then losing her mom in a car accident, and trying to live on her own) has made her a strong person.

I didn't have to do a lot of work to introduce my husband to anime when we were first dating. It turned out that we both really liked Star Blazers. Smile From there, I introduced him to Robotech and Voltron. In more recent years, we have discovered other anime together (Cowboy Bebop, Fruits Basket, Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2, Speed Racer, and Miyazaki's movies, just to name a few). My kids are into Pokemon. My oldest (11-year-old girl) also likes Fruits Basket, the Miyazaki movies I've let her see, Star Blazers, and Robotech. My middle child (8-year-old boy) also likes Speed Racer and Voltron. The youngest (4-year-old girl) is only into Pokemon right now. So, my husband and I are starting to introduce a new generation to anime. Hopefully their intesrest in it will continue as they get older.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
Shirogane wrote:

But, if he wasn't into anime

....He whouldn't have been worth dating ;P
I've been dating a "normie" for a while now and while I can get her to show up for Anime club events, thats just so that I'm not far from her and she'll do a word search the whole time. She is closed off to Anime and, frankly, I don't think its worth my time to bother. Generally, I try to stay away from dating normies, as it where. I'm not saying that they can't be introduced, converted, or even just made tolerant - I'm just saying that its not worth my effort, especially in this case.

I have to agree about The Anime Encyclopedia - even if the show absolutely sucks, its an encyclopedia - not a reviewclopedia or something. It also needs to be updated every year or two or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4