• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 1.0's English Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
FUNi probably doesn't want to pay ADV extra for its dub cast.

It's very unlikely that ADV has any sort of contract with the actors stating that they can't reprise these roles in another company's production.

-t
Eva_ruler

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Thats good news!!
Just hope to get the extended edition without double-dipping, because I can't wait any longer!!
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Spike Spencer and Allison Keith back in their respective roles. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that Tristan MacAvery wouldn't reprise Gendo again. John Swasey worked before, but I still prefer MacAvery's take better. The rest of the cast, eh... From the Encyclopedia entry and a panel transcript, it looks like the rest of the cast is brand new, or performed a different role for the Director's Cut releases (Monica Rial: Maya Ibuki, now Pen-Pen; Greg Ayres: Kaoru Nagisa, now Kensuke Aida). Wait and see hear time, I guess.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Nice, I think Shinji and Misato were great in their dub voices, and I'm sure FUNi has cast Rei well. But the key is Tiffany Grant, she was my favorite performance in the Evangelion dub, so I really hope she'll be available for 2.0 and beyond.
KhakiBlueSocks

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
GATSU wrote:
FUNi probably doesn't want to pay ADV extra for its dub cast.

It's very unlikely that ADV has any sort of contract with the actors stating that they can't reprise these roles in another company's production.

-t

Especially when you consider that 99% of the original cast reprised their roles in "Death and Rebirth" and "End of Evangelion".

I'm glad they were able to get Spike Spencer and Allison Keith back in their original roles. Part of me is not suprised that AWL (Amanda Winn Lee) was not going to come back: rumor mill has it that she's having some issues with her young son.
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Damn. I was hoping that Tristan MacAvery would come back as Gendo. Sad Though, I don't really remember how Swasey did in the DC, so I'll just wait and see how it comes out. Rest of the cast looks like a typical FUNi production. Though, that hasn't been a bad case so far.
article wrote:

Ritsuki: Colleen Clinkenbeard

It's Ritsuko.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
Good to see Spike Spencer and Allison Keith back in their respective roles. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that Tristan MacAvery wouldn't reprise Gendo again. John Swasey worked before, but I still prefer MacAvery's take better. The rest of the cast, eh... From the Encyclopedia entry and a panel transcript, it looks like the rest of the cast is brand new, or performed a different role for the Director's Cut releases (Monica Rial: Maya Ibuki, now Pen-Pen; Greg Ayres: Kaoru Nagisa, now Kensuke Aida). Wait and see hear time, I guess.

I'll second the surprise at Tristan MacAvery not being back as Gendo. I loved him as Gendo. How could he be replaced?

I'm okay with Palencia as Rei though, her Ai Enma(Hell Girl) voice sounds very close to how Rei should sound. I guess Colleen Clinkenbeard fits as Ritsuko too.

I am very glad that Spike Spencer's back. Shinji may be whiney and hard to root for, but Spike's voice was oh so fitting.

No Asuka listed, is that because she doesn't appear in the first movie at all?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KhakiBlueSocks

braves wrote:
Damn. I was hoping that Tristan MacAvery would come back as Gendo. Sad Though, I don't really remember how Swasey did in the DC, so I'll just wait and see how it comes out. Rest of the cast looks like a typical FUNi production. Though, that hasn't been a bad case so far.
article wrote:

It's Ritsuko.

He did a really good job in the Directors Cut. It was a clear difference to be sure, but it was an excellent preformance.

And MAYBE they're giving Ritsuko a new name as well like they did Asuka??
RogueJedi86

NGE1113 wrote:

I'll second the surprise at Tristan MacAvery not being back as Gendo. I loved him as Gendo. How could he be replaced?

I'm okay with Palencia as Rei though, her Ai Enma(Hell Girl) voice sounds very close to how Rei should sound. I guess Colleen Clinkenbeard fits as Ritsuko too.

I am very glad that Spike Spencer's back. Shinji may be whiney and hard to root for, but Spike's voice was oh so fitting.

No Asuka listed, is that because she doesn't appear in the first movie at all?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
free2slap wrote:
I know, wrong thread to say this but this is anime is so overrated.

I'd say that too, about the TV series - which is why I'm looking forward so much to the movies, to see if they can improve it.

This is one of a very select number of shows where I actually watched the English dub first, since I watched it with a group of people, and one of them needed it. As a result I totally associate the voices of Shinji and Misato with these two actors, and am glad to hear they're coming back, if only for nostalgia's sake.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Sat May 23, 2009 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I've never understood how or why people could have possibly liked Eva's horrific amateurish dub, so I'm glad to see most of the cast is either different or at least rearranged.

Wish they would have gotten someone decent to be Misato, though.

*has still to this day never seen Eva in Japanese, including this movie*
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
article wrote:

It's Ritsuko.

Epic announcement is EPIC! Shocked

So we get Hawkeye/Yuko for Ritsuko. That's pretty good, I guess. It's been too long since I've seen the original series. But I do remember Rei as being fairly low on personality, so I don't think Amanda Lee not playing her is that big a deal. But if they fail to get Tiffany Grant for Asuka in 2.0, heads are gonna roll in Texas! Very Happy

Seriously, any dub of Evangelion would be passable as long as it's got Spike as Shinji, Allison as Misato, and Tiffany as Asuka. Everyone else is kind of interchangeable. But hopefully Brina is enough of a doppelganger for Amanda as Rei as Bridget Hoffman was for Hynden Walch as Nia in Gurren Lagann.

Oh, and it's premiering at AX in July! Well hopefully it'll hit the Dirty South at AWA 15 in Atlanta in September! I can wait until then. Smile

Last edited by LagannImpact on Sat May 23, 2009 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Finally good to see that Sgt Frog is getting "expected" release date. I've been looking forward to this for a while now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Spike is all I need.

No one else can ever be Shinji in my eyes. That is the ONE and ONLY rule I have for the Eva dub.

This is indeed, great news.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, Spike IS Shinji, so I'm pretty happy about him coming back aboard, and Allison was the best as Misato. Its kinda sad though that nobody else is coming back to their roles, you KNOW Asuka's VA won't return, and while voicing Rei shouldn't be too hard....oh well.

However, as I often do when cast lists are announced, I play the "swap role" game and try to imagine the VA's other characters from the past as their current character. Like so:

Ritsuko = Luffy
Maya = Vivi
Gendo = Captain Global (or to continue with the previous ones, Mr. Crocodile)
Rei = Tony Tony Chopper (I'm sensing a pattern here...)
Hyuuga = Buggy the Clown
Fuyutsuki = Captain Kuro (or my personal favorite Master Roshi)
Kensuke = Negi Springfield
Toji = Yusuke Urameshi
Aoba = Nappa (In before AT FIELD IS OVER 9000 joke)
Kiel = Narrator for One Piece (...ooookay)
Hikari = Nodoka Miyazaki
Kaworu = Jimmy Kudo
Yui = Nico Robin

So.....if we tally up the votes....

SET SAIL FOR THIRD IMPACT!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8