• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Writer Peter Craig Interviewed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least he seems to know something about the series, having seen it a few times.

But it's still Keanu Reeves playing a character half his age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fox sent me every episode of "Cowboy Bebop," including a few that had never aired in the U.S.

Huh?

Anyways, sounds like it's gonna be great.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I can only think he means Session XX by the episode that "never aired".

It's just a compilation video with the crew giving bits and pieces of wisdom they gained on their journey, a clip show really.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, this interview was heartening, it sounds like they've got the write guy for writing it. Let's just hope that the director can get a decent performance out of the perpetually-wooden Reeves, and get a good supporting cast to back him up.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm also feeling a little more at ease after reading this. At least it seems that the right people are in place. And Sunrise's strict involvement is encouraging too.
DakotaAngie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Quote:
Fox sent me every episode of "Cowboy Bebop," including a few that had never aired in the U.S.

Huh?

Anyways, sounds like it's gonna be great.

Only one I can think of is the one with the Teddy Bomber. Did they ever finally show it on Adult Swim? I know they didn't during their original run.

As for the film, I'm still a bit leery. Will I see it? Oh yeah. But I will be deeply upset if Keanu ruins Spike.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

It's just a compilation video with the crew giving bits and pieces of wisdom they gained on their journey, a clip show really.

Either that or is it a straight out lie. I can already tell how this movie will do, better than Dragon Ball, but it still will not be worth watching.

But seriously, if your going to make up an excuse/flat out lie, at least make it somewhat beliveable. Also Fox, can you please stop ruining great anime shows? Dragon Ball and Astro Boy were more than enough, but Cowboy Bebop doesn't deserve to be tarnished.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I've seen it before, the director knows their source material and yet the movie still ends up pretty bad.

I'm not expecting great things from Bebop but I'm at least hopeful for it and I'm not at all looking at it with a negative attitude.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Either that or is it a straight out lie. I can already tell how this movie will do, better than Dragon Ball, but it still will not be worth watching.

But seriously, if your going to make up an excuse/flat out lie, at least make it somewhat beliveable. Also Fox, can you please stop ruining great anime shows? Dragon Ball and Astro Boy were more than enough, but Cowboy Bebop doesn't deserve to be tarnished.

Fox isn't responsible for Astro Boy and the last I checked it hasn't even come out yet, so to call it "ruined" is jumping gun. Also who's to say it's a lie? A few people have already made some good guesses as to what he's referring to. Stop being a hater, and wait until some concrete stuff to be mad at. DB isn't suddenly the model for every anime turned live action. Stop being a whiny fan boy and wait and see the results.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Fox isn't responsible for Astro Boy and the last I checked it hasn't even come out yet, so to call it "ruined" is jumping gun. Also who's to say it's a lie? A few people have already made some good guesses as to what he's referring to. Stop being a hater, and wait until some concrete stuff to be mad at. DB isn't suddenly the model for every anime turned live action. Stop being a whiny fan boy and wait and see the results.

Yes, I know Astro Boy wasn't responsible for Astro Boy, I was using it in a figurative sense. But Fox ruined Speed Racer and Dragon Ball. That is two in a row, I really don't want to see a third.

You think this is whiny, you haven't seen fourms with unmoderatored debates of sub vs. dub.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but some people actually liked Speed Racer, I know I did. It certainly wasn't for everybody, but I think poor marketing drove away some people that would actually enjoy it. On the other hand I couldn't even bare the trailers for DBE, and this is coming from someone who just pre-ordered 16 Dragon Ball Kai figures and used to work for a respectable DB website. Can't say I've heard of anyone actually liking DBE.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
penguin:
Quote:
Well, at least he seems to know something about the series, having seen it a few times.

More importantly, at least he has enough experience with pulp to(hopefully) get the characters down pat. Anyway, I just like that he's not bs'ing his take on the series or making it into something it's not-i.e. "girl power" or "believe in yourself", or whatever else they pretended to know about DB: E.

Quote:
I know some of you are skeptical about the film due to Keanu Reeves' involvement,

No, we're skeptical, because Rothman already raped AVP and DB:E.

Teriyaki: FOX had nothing to do with Speed Racer.

Emerje: Poor marketing and an unnecessary half hour. Rolling Eyes
ashere65

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Yes, I know Astro Boy wasn't responsible for Astro Boy, I was using it in a figurative sense. But Fox ruined Speed Racer and Dragon Ball. That is two in a row, I really don't want to see a third.

You think this is whiny, you haven't seen fourms with unmoderatored debates of sub vs. dub.

Fox didn't do Speed Racer. That was Warner Bros and Village Roadshow. Get your facts straight before you start accusing people of wrongdoing.
Delpheno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
You know, I think in order to make this movie good, and when I mean good, I mean 80% approval rating from Rottentomatoes, or higher than 7.7 on IMDb, they really have to separate themselves from the anime, and invent their own version of Cowboy Bebop.

Unfortunately the writer said it's true to the anime.

I seriously hope they give the characters a makeover. I don't want to see Spike's hairstyle, Faye dressed in that... yellow outfit, Jet's robotic arm showing (he can keep the arm, just don't show it off). It looks cool in the anime, but in reality, it is not even close to appealing.

And why do I think 70% of the movie is going to have CGI backgrounds?

It seems like Fox did pick a good writer. What shines in Cowboy Bebop are the characters, and having a writer who has dealt with similar characters is a good plus.
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:03 am Reply with quote
I am simply going to continue reciting the Geek's Prayer as I hear more about this: "Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck."

I'm still extremely apprehensive about Mr. Reeves playing Spike, but it sounds like they got a very good person to write the script for this. The fact that they are working so closely with the Japanese companies does lend comfort.

Of course I am going to see this, and hope for the best.

Last edited by Hepzibah on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3