• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Negative Nellies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
If someone who enjoys the genre reviews it, they can give a more thorough review of what is good and bad about it from the view of a fan, instead of just saying its all crap.

Not really: just because someone doesn't like something doesn't mean that they can't pay close attention and provide intelligent analysis of it.

For example, I tend not to like superhero movies. Recently, I saw The Dark Knight Rises and hated it. That's no reason why I couldn't go into intelligently analytic detail about why I think that movie fails. I paid attention while watching it, and I know what I think works in film and what doesn't. There are some superhero movies that I liked so it's not like I'm categorically rejecting it because it's a superhero movie. Hell, even if I hated EVERY superhero movie I saw, it STILL wouldn't imply that I categorically rejected any of them. On their individual merits alone, I happened to like none of them (in that hypothetical scenario).

For an anime example, I tend not to like ecchi shows, or comedy shows, however, I saw B Gata H Kei (ecchi comedy) and think it's great, and I could go into intelligently analytic detail as to why I think it was in fact something great. You don't have to like a work/genre to have intelligent opinions about it/works in it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
When people make an opinion around here (aka: it's also a review), some, including you jump down their throats to tell them why their opinion/review is wrong.

If they're wrong then I tell them they're wrong. And if I'm wrong then they tell me I'm wrong. If it is a subjective area and I disagree with them then I'll tell them that I disagree with them. Likewise, if it is a subjective area and they disagree with me then they'll tell me they disagree with me.

People shouldn't pussyfoot around, and they shouldn't be afraid to call others out on their opinions or their beliefs. What's the point of having a discussion thread if no-one can say "hey man, you're wrong about that, it was actually dot dot dot"?

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I wouldn't take anything you, and the others, say on any level of respect.

Says the guy who believes that any story with time-travel in it is automatically bad.

I'd sooner listen to my pets' advice on which Anime to watch than your own. Not that I do (listen to my pets); my dog's into Precure and my snobby cat snubs Anime altogether and only reads Manga.
There is a very fine line between passionately arguing your beliefs and being rude about it; for better or for worse, you have a reputation for crossing that line -- and rather frequently, at that!

dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Your dog has excellent taste
My dog is one of those creepy middle-aged Otaku who only leaves the house for twenty minutes twice a day and just spends most of his time curled up under a bed. He only showers once-a-month, never shaves and he doesn't even have the balls to get a girlfriend. He's sad I tell you, sad and pathetic.

If you think I'd trust his opinion on Anime you must be dreaming.

Smile Very Happy Laughing
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
For the record question 2 seemed answered unnecessarily harsh. It seemed a little too mean spirited but also more like it should of just been ignored instead.

As far as criticism goes I agree with the answer almost completely. People take criticism, even if it's not aimed at them, badly. You can read criticism and either not agree or agree and still like the show. Or you can read criticism and start disliking a show you otherwise liked. It's not that big of a deal, you already watched the show, you aren't getting that time back either way.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
"Pardon me, sir. Do you mind lifting up your chair? I think I lost my animes."

For some reason I intuitively pronounced "animes" as "AN- I'MS" in my mind, and it made that sentence sound a lot funnier.
inuhime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

You mention hentai. I am cool with it, but I have not found many that have good stories and characters. Do you know of any hentais that have good story and characters? [It is a serious question]

I normally don't enjoy hentai(or even watch much of it), but one that IMHO had a good story was the first Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
inuhime wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

You mention hentai. I am cool with it, but I have not found many that have good stories and characters. Do you know of any hentais that have good story and characters? [It is a serious question]

I normally don't enjoy hentai(or even watch much of it), but one that IMHO had a good story was the first Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend.
Try spoiler[Slut Girl] That's a manga though. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6