• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clannad After Story Sub.DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Well i'm glad there is no spelling errors like the 1st season
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the great review. Honestly, I felt that After Story truly doesn't shine until the second half. So I will be anxiously awaiting your review of that (hoping that you do one).

I do thank you for noting how After Story didn't shy away from Tomoya's not-so-easy bridge he crossed from a punk kid to that of a responsible adult. That (and other details which are evident in the second half) make After Story very special to me.

EDIT: I was impressed with the research done and explaining how the Clannad visual novel works. Thanks for going the extra mile for that!
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:

Pot. Meet kettle.

(Unless you're being sarcastic.)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
On the recent reviews thing it says "Tomoya helps more girls before progressing on with his own life with Nagisa in this continuation of the popular 2006 anime series. It maintains the style and sentiment of the original but steps up its game when the story moves on past high school years, making it a must-have "

except, Clannad 1 was from 2007....
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:

Pot. Meet kettle.

He was referring to the fact that the first season of Clannad apparantly had a fair amount of mistakes in the subtitles, but there weren't any in this volume of After Story. This detail was mentioned in the review.

And he didn't even make any spelling errors in his post. A grammar error, yes, and a punctuation error, but not a spelling error. Razz And even if he had, a forum post isn't quite the same thing as official subtitles on a professional retail product.

So I'm somewhat confused about why you responded the way you did.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
JairStout wrote:

Pot. Meet kettle.

He was referring to the fact that the first season of Clannad apparantly had a fair amount of mistakes in the subtitles, but there weren't any in this volume of After Story. This detail was mentioned in the review.

And he didn't even make any spelling errors in his post. A grammar error, yes, and a punctuation error, but not a spelling error. Razz And even if he had, a forum post isn't quite the same thing as official subtitles on a professional retail product.

So I'm somewhat confused about why you responded the way you did.

Ah, see, I'm a grammar Nazi. Letting his post go would be shirking my duties! I also felt that his error was suitably ironic. Neutral
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I hate to promote Laziness but.... Dudes the next Volume if you haven't seen it already prepare yourself its the most powerful thing you will ever watch. Damn you Setion 23/Sentai!!!!!!!!!!!!

God...here we go again Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I hate to promote Laziness but.... Dudes the next Volume if you haven't seen it already prepare yourself its the most powerful thing you will ever watch. Damn you Setion 23/Sentai!!!!!!!!!!!!

Given the source of this comment, I must take it with a grain of salt. It's always possible the last half could surprise, but I think I have a pretty good feel for how these titles work by now and can't imagine legitimately being able to call any of its content "the most powerful thing you will ever watch." (And if I had to choose an anime title for that label, it would probably be Barefoot Gen.)

Now, will this probably get emotional in the second half? Oh, I imagine so. It wouldn't be a Key/Visual Art's title if it didn't. But let's not engage in too much hyperbole here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Now, will this probably get emotional in the second half? Oh, I imagine so. It wouldn't be a Key/Visual Art's title if it didn't. But let's not engage in too much hyperbole here.

While Mario was definitely overreacting, I will say that episode 18 (that's right - 18, not 16) definitively changed the way I looked at "moe" anime from then on. It is undeniably powerful stuff.

Though maybe it's just because I'm such a daddy's girl, deep down...
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

How cute. Given I've seen this series several times, I had to chuckle at this statement.

Wow, it's been a while since I replied to one of Key's reviews. I'm so tempted to answer the Fuko question, but I'll hold off. I'll let it be a surprise.

But now I've a favor to ask of reviewers. I do appreciate the telling of subtitle errors, but could a description of text color/size also be included? In addition, how the text is displayed regarding multiple lines.

From TAN's viewing, multiple conversations often change position and it's frustrating to follow along. I dare not take the chance in purchasing this or its predecessor for fear of subtitling horror.

I can easily dismiss spelling and grammatical errors (there are plenty everywhere), but style and delivery is more important to me.

Thanks to pparker, I purchased the Aria series at having this information presented to me and would love to see it more common.

I'd be very happy to continue buying sub only titles, but not at the risk of frustration in trying to read it.

Just a thought, and hopefully not read as nitpicking.

I'm looking forward to your review of part two.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I'm looking forward to your review of part two.

So am I. This series is currently sitting tight at number two in both the bayesian ranking and the weighted average. And people keep on going on and on and on and freaking on about it. I've been thinking about getting into this show, but after being left severely disappointed by the over-hyped and under-cooked Toradora! I really want the opinion of someone who isn't already a rabid fan. Key seems to be the reviewer whose tastes match mine best, so if he is struck down by the incredible awesomeness that is Clannad After Story, then I will watch it. Course, I'll have to sit through Clannad first, but it would be worth it, Moe or no Moe. However, if the second half also gets a B+ then I'll pass.
commsky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I've been thinking about getting into this show, but after being left severely disappointed by the over-hyped and under-cooked Toradora! I really want the opinion of someone who isn't already a rabid fan.

I'm no rabid fan, and I was also pretty dissapointed by Toradora!, and in my opinion, After Story is something that should be made over, you should give it a go.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
However, if the second half also gets a B+ then I'll pass.

I'm going to offer my opinion here, but I seriously doubt Key will give the second half a grade higher than B+.

I will be completely surprised if he does and I say this only because he gave Kanon an average of "B+" with the 4 reviews he did.

Despite this being my favorite series, there's no question Kanon has a better story than Clannad (AS). The former has a more "supernatural" element to it while the latter is more slice of life.

In addition, the ending to Clannad: AS is spoiler[one to which many, many people did not like and viewed it as a cop out. If you have even a smidgen of distaste for these types of endings, stay the hell away from this one.]

If you want to know more, PM me. I'll be more than happy to spoil the ending for those who don't want to wait for the next review, but are tempted to buy this series.

Now, can I have my rabies shot? I'm foaming at the mouth.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I also highly doubt that the next volume will receive higher than a B+, unless Theron actually likes the ending.

Although, this one managed a B+ and two thirds of it was "Helping People" so you never know. I will agree that watching episode 18 as well as 21 was quite emotional for me (though not in the same way Barefoot Gen or Grave of the Fireflies was). Clannad:AS is simply a story that is very rarely told because very very rarely do we actually see the progression from strangers to friends to courtship to family.

Also, I really dislike Torch and wish they had just continued using Dango Daikazoku as the ending. And I'm saying this a rather huge fan of Lia. I'd also like to say that "Tori no Uta" continues for me to be the best opening for any Key/KyoAni show.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only real Extras are clean opener and closer, and Sentai seems to be getting a bit lazy with its trailers; all of them on this volume are just the series openers.

I would think it's because that's all they can afford.

I got this in the mail a while ago, and wasn't planning to watch it until I got the second half, but reading this review makes me want to watch it now. After being disappointed by Kanon (didn't get past the first 10 episodes), the first Clannad series really surprised me in so many ways, so no doubt I'll love After Story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5